Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images

Packed volume of different sized UQ

New hanger here and I'm looking at purchasing my first UQ. I"m looking at a 40F Zeppelin, and trying to decide on length. I'm a 6' 2" backpacker and I"m not worried near as much about 4 or 5 oz as I am about pack volume. I've searched here and on the UGQ site but it's difficult getting a feel for the differences in packed volume for a 3/4, 7/8, full or long. I'm guessing that with only 4 oz difference (duck down), that the volume in the pack is almost identical? Any thoughts from backpackers?

EDIT- I just saw a similar question here by JamieL, but the answers seemed to address warmth more than packed-size....Am I worried over trifles?

Thanks!

Hobo
    Last edited by Hobopelican; 09-10-2014 at 12:32.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yeah, I'd say its going to be very close. Might be more significant if you're talking about adding overstuff.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobopelican View Post
    New hanger here and I'm looking at purchasing my first UQ. I"m looking at a 40F Zeppelin, and trying to decide on length. I'm a 6' 2" backpacker and I"m not worried near as much about 4 or 5 oz as I am about pack volume. I've searched here and on the UGQ site but it's difficult getting a feel for the differences in packed volume for a 3/4, 7/8, full or long. I'm guessing that with only 4 oz difference (duck down), that the volume in the pack is almost identical? Any thoughts from backpackers?

EDIT- I just saw a similar question here by JamieL, but the answers seemed to address warmth more than packed-size....Am I worried over trifles?

Thanks!

Hobo
    Our UQ come with a sil nylon stuff sack 7X9...the quilt compresses down even smaller then the size of the stuff sack.

3/4 LENGTH 55" - This is a partial length under quilt for most people and will not provide full coverage. You will need to address your extremities with supplemental insulation such as a sit pad, jacket, or pack.

7/8 LENGTH 66" - This is a partial length under quilt for most people and will not provide full coverage. You will need to address your extremities with supplemental insulation such as a sit pad, jacket, or pack. Persons under 5'6" will get very close to full coverage and may have full coverage depending on sleeping style.

FULL LENGTH 77" - Full length quilt for most people providing coverage from head to toe up to 6'2"

LONG LENGTH 83" - Full length quilt for most people providing coverage from head to toe up to 6'6"
    Temperature rating is based on default fill amount, for overstuff please select an alternate fill amount

I hope this helps

Missy
    Missy Lou - Senior Tarp Queen @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    when my girlfriend and I bought our UQs for summer we asked for custom size. we both have the same length to our individual heights. the folks at UGQ were fantastic and didn't hesitate to make them.
    winter UQ order to come for the girlfriend as well....she liked a longer "pod" like length.

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy Lou View Post
    Our UQ come with a sil nylon stuff sack 7X9...the quilt compresses down even smaller then the size of the stuff sack.
    <snip>
    Thanks, Missy. I understand the different sizes well enough, but what I was wondering was how much the packed volume varies from the 3/4 to the long. On a longer hike, the space in my pack can get a little tight! From Dakotaross' answer, I'm guessing there is not much difference, i.e. they all fit in the same stuff sack roughly the same. Does that sound about right?

I appreciate any input.

Hobo

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Hi Hobo,

Let me step in and see if I can help you, we make four different sizes of stuff sacks across our product line for different size quilts. It would be impossible to size match each stuff sack to each and every quilt as we have so many possible combinations of quilt sizes and fills. Our goal with a stuff sack size is to provide a stuff sack you can get the quilt in with minor effort. Nothing like wrestling with your stuff sack and quilt trying to get the quilt in the stuff sack. I've done it and I'm sure you have too.....

A 40*F UQ will come with a 5X12 stuff sack regardless of the size of the quilt. Our website indicates 7X9 but we have just change this stuff sack to a narrower and taller design to ease use. Now a 3/4 UQ will have quite a bit of additional compression available say another 40-50% smaller with a compression style sack. A 7/8 and full UQ will have a little less additional compression available say another 20-30%. And a long UQ will have even less additional compression available if any. Over stuff will also affect available additional compression.

On 40*F UQ fabric and suspension make a majority of the mass up since down use is minimal.

Hope that sheds some light on your questions for you, feel free to contact me directly if you have any un-answered questions remaining.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Worry more about other factors that effect pack volume, like food & clothing which can vary from trip to trip. The difference in a partial vs full length quilt is a pair of socks.

The bigger change you will see is what your kit volume does going from a summer to a 3 season or even to a full on winter setup. The quilts take up more space but you also add more clothing and usually more food too.

You're in my neck of the woods, maybe we'll meet up at one of the Ohio hangs.

David

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Thanks, all! You've answered my question perfectly. Paul gave me rough numbers and David gave me a great visual! I figured it would be minimal, but I just wanted to be as sure as possible.

Heck, David, we are practically neighbors. I"m up on the north side also. I'll keep my peeled for any Ohio hangs and hope to see you there.

Hobo
    (AKA Tery Johns)

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ET's
    Just wanted to let both of you Ohio folks know that we are having a MI hang October 10th - 13th in Grand Rapids, MI...you both are very welcome to come and join in the fun and meet some great people!! We have people coming from as far as TN!

Its a Chili Festival, so lots of folks love making their special dishes for this event

Let us know if you have any thoughts or questions or if there is anything else we can do for you.
    Maybe we'll get a chance to meet you soon!

Missy

Just fyi: Papa Smurf from Dream Hammocks is also planning on attending
    Last edited by Missy Lou; 09-11-2014 at 17:16.
    Missy Lou - Senior Tarp Queen @ UGQ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    That sounds like a lot of fun! Unfortunately, I'll be in AZ on family matters at that time. I'll have to catch y'all some other hang.

I will be hanging while I'm in AZ, though!

Hobo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast