Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

DIY Alpaca filled UQ

I found a thread from a while back about filling with alpaca fiber, and the pros/cons of using it. It's not every day that one has a box of fresh alpaca blanket laying around, but it happens to be one of those days. I have a whole fleece, including parts that aren't spinnable because the staple is too short for me. So after reading through the tread about the one someone made, and contacting her to see how it went, I took her advice and quilted it instead of putting it in baffles.

This one is sandwiched in between two pieces of 1/2" poly batting. 16 oz alpaca fill looks like this on a 45x60 base:

SAM_2110_1.JPG

I quilted on one diagonal at approx 6.5" apart directly through the batting layers without any of the ripstop on yet:

SAM_2112_1.JPG

Then I quilted on the other diagonal through the inside layer of nylon ripstop, only the top is 'quilted':
    (note, this stuff is hard to sew through, and I was having a terrible time with my straight lines. It looks like I was sewing drunk!

SAM_2114_1.JPG

It doesn't have much loft, but I can tell you, I was sweating when I was sewing it. I installed it and promptly took a nice cozy nap in my basement. I hope to test it out soon in colder September weather.

SAM_2116_1.JPG

I will be curious to see how it holds up. It comes in at 2# 5oz, which is about the same as my repurposed down UQ but slightly shorter. I have given up on long distance backpacking since I blew out my knee recently, so weight isn't too much of a problem. It packs down to about a 12" tall stuff sack, x about 7" wide.

Hammock
    diy 1.9 oz ripstop
    Tarp
    diy cat-cut hex
    Insulation
    diy ix underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Neat idea & nice-looking uq! I'm a knitter, and of all my hand-knitted sweaters, the alpaca one is what I put on when the temps drop into the negatives. Let us know how it compares, warmth-wise, to your down uq.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    thanks for posting this.

I started the other alpaca quilt thread.
    this will be quite useful as I have a LOT of alpaca matarial
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    My Jeep
    Insulation
    Carhartt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't recall seeing alpaca material at walmart but I'd bet it will serve you well in the cooler temperatures up north.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Nice quilt! You should stay super toasty!

What's the weight difference between alpaca and down? Just curious.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    Nice quilt! You should stay super toasty!

What's the weight difference between alpaca and down? Just curious.
    Thanks! I don't know the technical volume/weight differences between them but I have a pic of my down one in another recent thread if you want to compare. The two are close in weight but with the poly batting, this is twice the packed size easily.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I love it, one question, why did you use Polyester instead of the cotton batting? I have some cotton batting I use that is very nice, thin and stable.

I love Alpaca fleece, I have sweaters, shawls, and a blanket all from alpacas, baby alpaca's. Love the critter, love their fleece.

I sure wish I had an affordable access to fleece. The cost of the yard has increased greatly in our area. Maybe someday, I will have a couple of pairs of alpaca's roaming my property.

Thank you for posting and your images. Nice work.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I love it, one question, why did you use Polyester instead of the cotton batting? I have some cotton batting I use that is very nice, thin and stable.

I love Alpaca fleece, I have sweaters, shawls, and a blanket all from alpacas, baby alpaca's. Love the critter, love their fleece.

I sure wish I had an affordable access to fleece. The cost of the yard has increased greatly in our area. Maybe someday, I will have a couple of pairs of alpaca's roaming my property.

Thank you for posting and your images. Nice work.
    Thank you ironfish. I found a fleece at the local yarn shop here for $35 (5 pounds!) and I could'nt pass it up. There was plenty of extra to add to the uq.

About the cotton, i wanted something that would shed water instead of absorb it.

You show Felted Wool for insulation, how?

I would love to have a couple alpacas running around.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I struggled with myself to felt a Pendleton Blanket. I need something impervious to the weather conditions. I live in the far north of British Columbia part of the year, I never know what adventure is awaiting me. My life depends on my gear and keeping my own cocoon warm. I put the already thick blanket in hot water with some Ivory soap flakes, agitated the heck out of it. Rinsed it and then into a hot dryer. Felted up very well the design is still perfect and the blanket is very thick, I would have to be dumped in a body of water (I would drown with all that wool) for moisture to soak through. Not a light idea to felt wool however, it is very resistive to the elements. Down, has its limitations as does everything. I only use my down in the States, up North everything is wool, silk. In the case of my outside trousers they are the high tech fabric I wear good old durofold the cotton and wool variety under my high tech outerwear. Not glamorous, but very functional, it has helped keep me alive a couple of times when I was stranded.

If I ever move home permanently I am going to acquire a couple of pairs, I would love baby alpaca's, too cute. Also they are, or so the story goes, well able to defend their self.

I bought some wool that is very fine from New Zealand, it is in the form of a quilt batting. Beautiful stuff, high quality and the price was right. Here Alpaca is very expensive. You sure found a excellent deal on your fleece.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post

I bought some wool that is very fine from New Zealand, it is in the form of a quilt batting. Beautiful stuff, high quality and the price was right. Here Alpaca is very expensive. You sure found a excellent deal on your fleece.

I sure did! I have emails out looking for second cuts to see whats around. This is not the right time of year for it though...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast