Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images

Emergency blanket and sleeping bg as pea pod Question

I tried to use an emergency blanket in the teens with no good results. i bought it at wal-mart and the foil was peeling at the edges. So I am ASSUMING it was b/c its a cheapo one.

My question is what if I use a thin sleeping pad CCF and glue an emergency blanket to it in rectangles. As to not have a LOT of it. Would this help or do I need to just use the whole thing? I saw Blackies pad and the way it folds up and thought about glueing the Reflective stuff to the rectangles the folding makes.

Do you think that using my sleeping bag on the outside as a kind of "pea pod" (as I have seen done before) and using an emergency blanket or pad cutomzed with the reflective mat., will be warm enough into the teens?

I guess my main concern is the effectiveness of the emergency blanket stuff all together. I also saw an Emergency bivy" at Backcountry.com. It was 15 bucks and looked like it was worth a try.

I really dont want to fool with an underquilt and already have a 20 degree marmot mummy bag...Id like to use what I have.

Its just an idea. I was hoping maybe someone here tried thr reflective stuff.

Im reading Ed Speers book (thanks to Blackie for the book!) and saw he suggested trying a windsheild reflective visor as a sleeping pad but, mentioned it wasn't a long term solution unless you bought multiples. Thats why I was thinking glueing the emer. bl. to the rectangles will help maybe? I dunno...

Images
    Gluing the emergency blankets in pieces may work. My concern would be the weight to benifit ratio. I sleep pretty cold, compared to others. I am fine with a 1/2" ccp on bottom and a sleeping bag as a top quilt down to around 30. Below that I need extra insulation under my hind parts. That may buy me 10 degrees. The weight of the glue needed to hold it might add up to enough for you just to add a second pad. I haven't done much with pads, so I'll let others chime in on this.

I think the emergency bags are pretty much single use items. I haven't used them much, but that is what I hear and think of the bag style ones I have now. I carry one of them and a couple heating pads in the winter incase I need to heat up fast.

The more extensive ones, $15 range, probibly hold up a little better.

I would think this would cause a lot of condensation to form on your back too. I also can't speak for using the bag as a peapod as I have not done this yet.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    I also want to try to use a second pad as mentioned before. Thanks HE!

Images
    No problem, ask away.

I carry a butt sized sit pad anyways that works well for a second pad when I only need a little warmth.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    I thought about trying a smaller pad width wise in the kidney area as mentioned before.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    IMO space blankets aren't worth the trouble, but others disagree. I'd try it with nothing additional first - no glue or anything - and see if you benefit from it significantly. That way if it does nothing for you, you're not out any real time or money.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    IMO space blankets aren't worth the trouble, but others disagree. I'd try it with nothing additional first - no glue or anything - and see if you benefit from it significantly. That way if it does nothing for you, you're not out any real time or money.
    i have to agree w/ bb on that. i've herd to many people (including the jacks & ed speer) talk about trying reflective materials in real conditions & discarding that idea. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    hrmm i think I will scrap that idea and focus on other things then. Thanks guys!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Agree w/ BB....Space blankets are hardly worth the trouble....sometimes adding them to a mediocre system gets you to lower temps but it is far better to get an adequately wide pad or some other form of dependable bottom insulation... cutting corners or your sleep/survival system would not be in the plans for most folk on the ground.... therefore, it is a poor plan to start off cutting cornners on the bottom insulation requirement of a hammock..... being cold in the back yard is one thing... freezing with no back up in the out back is unwise....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Search the archives here...there's an "amateur scientist" discussion about how well space blankets function. My thoughts - they work better than nothing when used alone b/c they block convection and create a vapor barrier. But when used with a quilt/bag/pad that already blocks convection, the reflected radiation isn't worth the extra weight.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast