Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    Your right macentyre, Charlotte too! Thats why I always practice food hanging. IMO you should always keep clean camp, and hang food properly.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest/Guardian BugNet
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs Tarp 9
    Suspension
    ENO Slap Straps
    Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it. It sounds as though there isn't any reason to be any more concerned about a bear encounter at stone mtn than when camping anywhere else in NC. Again, thanks for the info and I can't wait to get out there.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Bobcats can be scarier than just about anything else. Partly because you can't know they are there until you find signs they were. I read reports of people finding tracks in the snow where a big cat has followed them down a trail. I think I'd rather know a bear is around.
    I personaly don't know of any Bobcat attacks. They are pretty small and they run like the wind when they know they've been spotted. I know Cougars can be a problem in some areas especially to runners, the running makes their predatory instinct kick in. Black bears, though mostly harmless, are unpredictable at best. "They" say to fight back if attacked because attacks can be predatory in nature. You also can be munched pretty good if you scare a mother with cubs of course. I'm told, though thankfully I have no first hand knowledge, that an adolecent bruin will sometimes attack people or other animals as a way to gauge his own strenght. I don't know if I belive that one because it seems like alot of risk for an animal that seems to be happy just avoiding trouble,walking around the woods and eating everything it can (it kinda sounds like me ).

I've shared the woods with wolves. I walked past a black bear in the dark, close enough to touch it, without knowing it was there until I was past it. I had a pair of wolverines once perch themselves over the trail that I walked in on right around dusk, needless to say I very quickly took a different path home and kept an arrow notched the whole time (it was very strange because wolverines are supposed to be solitary and where I hunt isn't in thier normal range by about 1,000+ miles). I've seen bobcats and lynx. I came across very fresh cougar tracks once in a thick cedar swamp. And I pissed off a moose last weekend. But all that said the only thing that has attacked me is my fellow man.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ARN View Post
    Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it. It sounds as though there isn't any reason to be any more concerned about a bear encounter at stone mtn than when camping anywhere else in NC. Again, thanks for the info and I can't wait to get out there.
    If you're scared, just say you're scared! Just kidding... Arn is my hiking partner.

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    can't wait for the trip report!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12