Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    GEE, DON'T RIP ANYTHING! Gently open the seam and pull the threads loose, being very careful not to cut the fabric. Ripping out seams opens the needle punctures wider and can cause the area to weaken.

What I have found to work is:
    1) Work slowly as members show in their videos.
    2) Check your fabric often, if stitching is tricky check ever few inches, not feet. Put the needle in the down position and do a visual on the area, be sure nothing is folded or scrunched. Check for odd looking stitches, or loose thread.
    3) Do not inject thread when you are tired, angry, annoyed or distracted.
    4) Be aware a lot of goofs happen at the end of a long seam.
    5) With silnylon I learned to clean my feed dogs, needle and plate with alcohol both when I start injecting thread and when I finish. I found that helped a lot of the stitch problems.

Stitches too close together will weaken the seam, it will rip easier.

With the Argon, I found it very easy to repair my injecting errors. Twice I had a fold where I was injecting, I did not have the Argon smooth enough, trying to work with one hand in a sling is not efficient nor conductive to not making errors. LOL

Hammock
    DIY Argon + DIY fronkeynet
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    GEE, DON'T RIP ANYTHING! Gently open the seam and pull the threads loose, being very careful not to cut the fabric. Ripping out seams opens the needle punctures wider and can cause the area to weaken.

What I have found to work is:
    1) Work slowly as members show in their videos.
    2) Check your fabric often, if stitching is tricky check ever few inches, not feet. Put the needle in the down position and do a visual on the area, be sure nothing is folded or scrunched. Check for odd looking stitches, or loose thread.
    3) Do not inject thread when you are tired, angry, annoyed or distracted.
    4) Be aware a lot of goofs happen at the end of a long seam.
    5) With silnylon I learned to clean my feed dogs, needle and plate with alcohol both when I start injecting thread and when I finish. I found that helped a lot of the stitch problems.

Stitches too close together will weaken the seam, it will rip easier.

With the Argon, I found it very easy to repair my injecting errors. Twice I had a fold where I was injecting, I did not have the Argon smooth enough, trying to work with one hand in a sling is not efficient nor conductive to not making errors. LOL
    Thanks for the advice ironfish! What stitch length do you use? I am concerned about weakening the cloth, as my stitches look awfully close together.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I just use a middle length, which is not helping you decide which length to use, I know a stitch per inch suggestion is posted someplace, I will look for it real quick. I have a clear space between stitches, they are not right next to each other, but they are not as far apart as a basting stitch. I can see each stitch clearly. I will look or find a ruler and give a suggestion.

Close stitches are good for some fabric and applications, but not tarps and the type of nylon we are working on.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Ironfish: thanks. One stitch per inch seems incredibly long compared to what I have... I estimate my stitches are one every couple millimeters or so. I do have a tarptent... maybe I should have compared against those stitches as well.

Dang, maybe I'll just have to recut. I'll lose an inch or so off the raw width, but I was giving myself several inches allowance on either side anyway.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I don't think I said one stitch per inch, if I typed that it was a huge typo.

TRY 7 TO 10 STITCHES per inch see what that looks like. Use a scrap piece of your fabric. Also check your thread tension, if you make adjustments, just do tiny adjustments, easier that way.

Fabric is the strength, thread is the hold together. If the strength is punctured too often it becomes weak, because the fibres can not do their job.

My first silnylon tarp has a reinforcing strip down the center of it, just like a heavy duty jacket does. I had a terrible time with the top and bottom fabric not moving together, I had to take out the entire ridge and restitch it, twice no less. I ended up stitching from both ends and both sides of the fabric. Never again, major production, now I figured out a better system that works for me.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 09-11-2014 at 19:00. Reason: I am spelling challenged!

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I use 8/ inch on just about everything outdoor related

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Thanks again folks. I will measure and possibly recut/restitch when I get home.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Okay, so I measured the stitches and they are 12.5 stitches per inch. The next longer setting is 6 stitches per inch. Other settings on my machine are zigzags and buttonholes... No other straight stitches. I tested the current stitch length (12.5/in) on a piece of scrap, and it seems to hold okay. I sewed a few inches without locking it, then pulled the seam out pretty roughly, leaving the needle holes. Then I pulled the fabric apart as much as I could at the seam and couldn't get it to rip.

Looking at the seam I've already sewn though, it is going to be a real pain to try to cut the stitch, so I'm going to have to sleep on it to see if I will recut the fabric and start from scratch, or let it just be a little wrinkled and maybe give this one away to a friend/relative when I've made something better.

Thanks all!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Surprising there isn't anything in between 6 and 12.5. I use 10 stitches per inch so 12.5 would be better that 6. 6 is a basting stitch. a good sharp stitch puller used with a little patience isn't as much of a pain as you would think. How much seam do you need to undo?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Surprising there isn't anything in between 6 and 12.5. I use 10 stitches per inch so 12.5 would be better that 6. 6 is a basting stitch. a good sharp stitch puller used with a little patience isn't as much of a pain as you would think. How much seam do you need to undo?
    About 2 or 3 feet... it's kind of daunting. The seam cutter/puller/ripper thing I have has a broken tip too, so it would be easy to push through the sil by accident. I'm going to dig around and see if I can find another one; if not, I figure I need a new one anyway, so I'm going to get a new one this wekeend and will try to pull the seam. Like you guys said, if it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast