Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Lesson learned and more hammock tweaking

I just completed a 5 day/4 night section hike in the NH White Mountains, the longest with my new kit and learned a bit more about tweaking my hammock and tarp, some equipment that may require swapping out and how to better locate camp spots like a hanger rather than a ground dweller. The weather during the trip did not test my system but I had a bit of rain one night, some wind often and 40 deg. lows.

What worked:
    UQ - It was the first trip with my 20* Zeppelin and it performed though temperatures did not approach the rating. During a few wind gusts I could immediately feel the heat loss on my back side and then restore quickly. I fiddled with the primary and secondary suspension, a tug here and snug there but without another set of eyes it was difficult to see what the result was, and oh yeah it was night. I need to watch more of Shug’s videos and practice a bit more in the backyard before the next trip.

TQ – I don’t own one and my 20 deg bag worked fine as a quilt. It will be hard to justify replacing it at this time as it is super light and compresses well.

Hammock – super comfortable, what more can be said of the WBBB XLS. Now that I have the UQ rather than the pad even better!

Tarp – No issues with the SuperFly, it kept me dry and covered during the one rain spell and the mountain fog. My only concern is the size and the difficulty to pitch on the trail due to other tree/branch interference. I may consider a smaller option for backpacking.

Observations:

My base weight has increased as well as the volume of pack required for hammocking, I understood this while researching the forum before buying my kit but so far find the trade off more enjoyable.

LESSON LEARNED - As a long time ground sleeper finding spots off trail was very easy, as a hammocker not so. The first two nights I had to descend significant elevation to find suitable spots where the trees could support a hang and when I found suitable trees the tarp setup was difficult due to the density of trees. The third night I camped at a designated AMC tent site with platforms and had a bit of a time finding a suitable hang. Lesson learned plan better!

All in all a great trip!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Just a suggestion but you might want to reduce the tarp size and add on a UQP. That should help with space needed for set up and with the wind robbing you of your warmth.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch
    If you get a chance post some pictures of your setup on the trip...sounds interesting..Cheers

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody_NH View Post
    My base weight has increased as well as the volume of pack required for hammocking, I understood this while researching the forum before buying my kit but so far find the trade off more enjoyable.
    I noticed the same as well. For a hammock system I'm at 2.4 pounds more than my tent system with definitely more bulk (and $75 more expensive if anyone is counting). BUT, I've never slept better while camping than in a hammock so it's well worth it to me!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Just a suggestion but you might want to reduce the tarp size and add on a UQP. That should help with space needed for set up and with the wind robbing you of your warmth.
    Thanks, I'll review the option of a UQP. Is the heat loss from a misadjusted UQ? Once adjusted properly is the fit consistent hang to hang or is adjustment required each time?

Quote Originally Posted by fortran42 View Post
    If you get a chance post some pictures of your setup on the trip...sounds interesting..Cheers
    I reviewed the trip photos and don't have any of the hammock setup in the field but have plenty of the trip itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    I noticed the same as well. For a hammock system I'm at 2.4 pounds more than my tent system with definitely more bulk (and $75 more expensive if anyone is counting). BUT, I've never slept better while camping than in a hammock so it's well worth it to me!
    Agree I'll definitely research the TQ before making the switch from my current sleeping bag.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    The UQP will help keep the wind from stealing warmth from you

Can I ask where you hiked. I'm planning on heading up to the White Mountains on the 26th for 3 days / 2 nights but have decided 100% where I'd like to go as I've never been there before.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Typicalsloan View Post
    Can I ask where you hiked. I'm planning on heading up to the White Mountains on the 26th for 3 days / 2 nights but have decided 100% where I'd like to go as I've never been there before.
    There are so many great areas in the White's but the area I return to the most is the Pemigewasset Wilderness or Pemi as it's better known. The trails are set up so you can combine many into loops of differing length and elevation with many peaks above tree line with fantastic long ridge walks. Quite a few trails are part of the AT and provide good areas for trailside camping as well as the availability of AMC tent and shelter sites.

The loop I did was an extended counter-clockwise Pemi Loop starting from Lincoln Woods. The extension hike was over Mt. Zealand to Zeacliff then back tracked to continue my loop. I had perfect weather with BlueBird days which makes these ridge walks exceptional! The Bond's ridge and Franconia ridge are awesome if you have never done these. Total mileage was around ~36.0 with a lot of elevation but I was in no hurry. Take a look at a map and plan a hike based on your time availability and hope for great weather! Contact me if you need additional specifics.

Woody

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Funny, I hiked the same area last year and never had difficulties finding a site suitable for hanging... My guess is, you will change the way you look for sites. It will only take a short while

With regards to the tarp: have a look at the Warbonnet Edge. It's a neat little tarp and might help with your pitching problems. Although I dare say that you will learn how to set up a bigger tarp without issues as well.

Is the heat loss from a misadjusted UQ? Once adjusted properly is the fit consistent hang to hang or is adjustment required each time?
    Hanging an underquilt correctly takes some time to learn. I don't have a UGQ, so am not familiar with the set-up. However, all full-length underquilts I have seen suffer from the accordion effect: the quilt sags towards the lowest point and creates an air bubble under your butt. When you are lying in your hammock, put a hand between hammock and quilt where you feel cold. Most likely you will find that the uq is not touching the hammock in that place, like it should. I think UGQ has a secondary suspension and their quilts are cut differentially. So don't be afraid to pull the secondary suspension tight, until the quilt touches the hammock everywhere. Also don't over-cinch the shock cord on the ends (head end and foot end). It needs to snug up to the hammock, but just so. You'll get the hang of it eventually. It gets easier.

Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome 1.6 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    LESSON LEARNED - As a long time ground sleeper finding spots off trail was very easy, as a hammocker not so. The first two nights I had to descend significant elevation to find suitable spots where the trees could support a hang and when I found suitable trees the tarp setup was difficult due to the density of trees. The third night I camped at a designated AMC tent site with platforms and had a bit of a time finding a suitable hang. Lesson learned plan better!

All in all a great trip!
    I too have found it difficult to locate a spot to hang in the Whites. Away from established sites, the vegetation is usually too thick. Established sites are set up with tents in mind, not hammocks; sometimes a tent site will have a usable pair of trees, but often not. This is one of the primary reasons that I think I will be doing less hiking in the Whites next year.

--Peter

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast