Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY

Greetings from the ATL!

I figured it was time to actually introduce myself, since I've been lurking around for a bit. I found this picture of me in my first hammock back in the early 90's. I slept in it sometimes during the summer, with no bugnet or tarp over me! Once I even had a raccoon walk under me in the middle of the night!

manicule_hammock.jpg

I purchased a Byer while in college while I was living in a crowded apartment with a small back porch, I used it through the summer as a way of escaping the heat and having a nice place to read. But it was a pain to keep untangled, and I promptly lost it in a box while moving, only to discover it last year and started using it again. But it's also small, and still a pain to keep untangled, so I convinced my fiancé to buy an eno back in March, and as we started to do a lot more hiking, it came on more trips with us as a way to "hang" in the middle of our hikes.

I also realized that I had a perfect set of trees to hang outside my new apartment and during a very stressful quarter of grad school, decided that I needed to absorb some daylight while working, and made the pleasant discovery that my wi-fi reaches to my hang spot!

All this being said, I decided over the summer to make my own hammock, suspension and bugnet. I just placed an order for some Amsteel to try out some continuous loops, whoopies and an adjustable structured ridgeline, and I'm about to order some material to upgrade my straps!

And as a bonus, here's a hammock I made for my cats!

manicule_cat_hammock.jpg

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the club from a fellow GA hanger. Can't wait to see your DIY stuff and it being used on hikes.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY
    Thanks! I'll make sure to post some pictures soon!

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Athens. Love the cat hammock.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    JRB or KAQ
    Suspension
    vectran whoopies
    Welcome from another recent joinee.

This is one of the best forums on the 'net. Enjoy!
    "Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage." -William Shakespeare

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG, AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome aboard the board from Macon!
    *Formerly "kleinrider"; no longer own any Klein bikes, so figured a change was in order.

Good grief! Don't let my wife see the cat in the hammock. Then I'll have to do that too. Anyways, welcome from another noob located a bit east and south of you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Good grief! Don't let my wife see the cat in the hammock. Then I'll have to do that too. Anyways, welcome from another noob located a bit east and south of you.
    I had to change it to a 4 point hammock to make it easier for them to get into it... but I have three cats and they all fight over it. I used to make one for the kitten in the first picture with a blanket when I would go camping in a camper van. Turns out that cats haven't changed much!

The good news is you don't have to use any fancy ripstop, a random scrap of fabric should suffice

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from Florida! Just south of you in January, we're having the Fifth Annual Florida Hang in the Ocala National Forest at the Doe Lake Recreation Area. Tons of hangers from all over the United States converge here each Winter to show off their rigs, partake in food, fun, and fellowship, learn new skills in our workshops, win great gear from our cottage industries, hikes, kayaking, and oh such more. So grab your fiance and come on down this January!

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Welcome to the forum!
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast