Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time

Insulated half sock for Ridgerunner

The shape of the bridge hammock provides a unique opportunity to create warm air space - the goal of any insulation system. I figured if I could seal off the body of the hammock from the wind I could easily add quite a bit of warmth to my winter sleep system. Honestly I had some extra heavier weight material sitting around and wanted to throw together a proof-of-concept.

It's essentially a 30" x 60" quilt (the area from toes to neck) with an underquilt protector sewn on to create a closed system. I used Velcro on the foot end so the suspension can pass through. On the head end, I integrated a frost bib into the neck area of the sock to collect condensation and help seal off the shoulder area. It just slides up and clips onto the head end suspension to stay in place. I'm using this with my summer top quilt and my winter underquilt - it is supplemental.

At a hulking 22 ounces, it's not something I'd casually throw into my pack for a colder weather trip - but I plan to use it for pulk-asissted trips or car camping.

Improvements could include (much) lighter weight fabrics and a zipper for easier in/out. I could see making one with some Dutch Argon...or one without insulation.

Forecast is for 30 degrees with visible Northern lights tonight here in Central Minnesota. Perfect for testing.

2014-09-12 14.46.37.jpg2014-09-12 14.48.33.jpg2014-09-12 14.48.39.jpg2014-09-12 14.48.45.jpg
    Last edited by hikenbike; 09-13-2014 at 07:46.

Images
    Looks like a fun project. I hope you will keep us posted.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    That is cool!

I'm curious how it performs and if condensation is a big issue. Several questions just ran thru my head but I'm too tired! Will check back when the sun's shining.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    Good job. Let us know when you set the pricing.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Wow! That looks amazing! Great job!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    very clever design! kind of like a peapod for the bridge!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Only got to around 40 last night but the sock added significant warmth to my summer top quilt. Condensation is a consideration for sure - I hope that 7 ounces of down in the quilted top section helps soften the temp differential between the inside and out. In theory anyway. My goal is to have something to supplement my 0 degree sleeping bag for winter pulk camping. For that, I think it's going to work really well.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Great project, and it comes at a good time for me, as I am currently working on insulating BER's Cloud Bridge with a shaped thin bottom layer of Primaloft quilted to the hammock. Next step is a shaped supplementary UQ with attached TQ, which is quite similar to your insulated half sock. I wholeheartedly agree that using the pod concept to create a warm air space helps get the maximum benefit from the insulation. I'm new to bridge hammocks, but I've used a similar insulated pod on my gathered end winter hammock. (Video here.) I don't think you'll have big problems with condensation, but you may need the ability to vent at the foot end on occasion just as you would with a winter down sleeping bag. I like a top-center zipper for this. Slowhike attached his TQ to his hammock to prevent drafts, too. I liked the way he did it because he made the top cover just big enough that it draped well over his body so there weren't air spaces over him.

I have some questions. How are you insulating underneath the hammock (in addition to the underquilt protector)? UQ or pad? Are those karo step baffles in the top quilt or sewn-through. If baffles, how wide are they?

It's great to see really creative work like this still being shared on HF. Keep it up!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    It kindof reminds me of the spindrift for the RR------but more like a speer peapod. I love the spindrift, but............depending on the weather, you really need to be able to vent it to prevent condensation. (hence the double door mod) Keep up the good work!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Great project, and it comes at a good time for me, as I am currently working on insulating BER's Cloud Bridge with a shaped thin bottom layer of Primaloft quilted to the hammock. Next step is a shaped supplementary UQ with attached TQ, which is quite similar to your insulated half sock. I wholeheartedly agree that using the pod concept to create a warm air space helps get the maximum benefit from the insulation. I'm new to bridge hammocks, but I've used a similar insulated pod on my gathered end winter hammock. (Video here.) I don't think you'll have big problems with condensation, but you may need the ability to vent at the foot end on occasion just as you would with a winter down sleeping bag. I like a top-center zipper for this. Slowhike attached his TQ to his hammock to prevent drafts, too. I liked the way he did it because he made the top cover just big enough that it draped well over his body so there weren't air spaces over him.

I have some questions. How are you insulating underneath the hammock (in addition to the underquilt protector)? UQ or pad? Are those karo step baffles in the top quilt or sewn-through. If baffles, how wide are they?

It's great to see really creative work like this still being shared on HF. Keep it up!
    I'm using a full length diy underquilt (link in original post). Very,very warm. The top is sewn-through Karo step using 10 inch squares...with the middle 5 inches closed off... 10/5.

Thanks for the kind words.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast