DIY Argon 1.6 XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    HG Incu-20, JrB TQ
    Suspension
    straps, amsteel

Getting ready to create an Argon 1.6 Hammock

So the word on the street is that Argon is one, (of many), ideal lightweight materials to make a hammock out of, and I am wanting something that is a bit lighter than my current ENO hammock, as it's my goal to eventually have both a lightweight backpacking setup, and another setup for casual camping trips. I know there are other lighter materials, but I've read that this material is nice to the touch and stretches just enough to make a comfortable lay.

Has anyone had any experience with Argon, suggestions, or concerns that I should be made aware of? I plan on about 64" wide by about 120" in length, give or take. Ill be using dutch buckles and tree straps, and amsteel whoopies...

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Argon 1.6 is 60" wide. Those extra 4 inches are going to be expensive.

To get to 120" you'll need 4 yards. You can get an 11' hammock 132" out of that, even allowing for 3" wide channels at each end. Many people are finding a preference for longer hammocks, and you can always make a longer hammock shorter.

Images
    I'll also toss a vote in for the 11' x as wide as it comes. Unless you are short <5'6"

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I've made a couple of hammocks out of Argon. I found it nice to work with.

If you're unsure which length you should go for, get 4 yards and whip it at different lengths. Try different whips. I liked the accordion fold and the Hennessy rolled fold (here's a series of pictures to show you how it's done). The first gives a really flat lay with a 10' hammock that is hung fairly tight (roughly 83% ridgeline). The latter gives you a pocket for your head and feet but feels better when hung with more sag. Experiment a bit to find what suits you best. Just be careful to gather the fabric along a straight line. Any deviance from the line will change the lay.

Once you cut the fabric and sew a channel (even if you want to whip your hammock the channel will help with keeping the whipping cord on the hammock), you can also try a Warbonnet whip - or simply thread your suspension through the channel like it's done on your ENO. Every style will produce a different lay. Pick the one that suits you best. That's the beauty of DIY.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6 XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    HG Incu-20, JrB TQ
    Suspension
    straps, amsteel
    Thanks for the advice!!! I was strongly thinking about going 11' at first , but figured I'd stick to a shorter length as this is pretty common among commercially available ones. But since It's suggested, I'll be making it longer than 120". I have a old DIY nylon hammock made from heavy duty nylon using an accordion fold and whipping so I'm at least familiar with that method, but definitely be on the look out for other alternate methods so I'll be checking out those photos hutzelbein... thanks! (EDIT) Those photos are EXTREMELY useful!

I've ordered 5 yards of brown for the main hammock and another 4 yards of black to add the extra couple of inches on the edges to get past the 60" and add an accent color. At $5.00 per yard, this stuff is pretty cheap compared to anything I can get locally. I figure with the extra, I could use if for other projects and add it to my scrap bin. There's no better feeling that having the materials on hand for whenever you have an idea for a project! I did plan on using channels in the ends as I like using continuous loops. I plan on also making a double cinched end stuff sack, unlike the center sewn stuff sack like ENO or others'.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MBennett View Post
    Thanks for the advice!!! I was strongly thinking about going 11' at first , but figured I'd stick to a shorter length as this is pretty common among commercially available ones. But since It's suggested, I'll be making it longer than 120". I have a old DIY nylon hammock made from heavy duty nylon using an accordion fold and whipping so I'm at least familiar with that method, but definitely be on the look out for other alternate methods so I'll be checking out those photos hutzelbein... thanks! (EDIT) Those photos are EXTREMELY useful!

I've ordered 5 yards of brown for the main hammock and another 4 yards of black to add the extra couple of inches on the edges to get past the 60" and add an accent color. At $5.00 per yard, this stuff is pretty cheap compared to anything I can get locally. I figure with the extra, I could use if for other projects and add it to my scrap bin. There's no better feeling that having the materials on hand for whenever you have an idea for a project! I did plan on using channels in the ends as I like using continuous loops. I plan on also making a double cinched end stuff sack, unlike the center sewn stuff sack like ENO or others'.
    That is a true statement if you only look at the cheap made in China hammocks sold in your big box stores.
    Look at the major vendors here an I think you will find they sell more 11x60s than any other size. There is something magic about the
    11x60's. I currently own 3 for different types of trips.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Unless you just have to scratch the DIY itch, there is always this option. Hard to beat the price.

EDIT: Just read that you already ordered your materials. Be sure to post some pics of the finished product.
    Last edited by Spaceman; 09-13-2014 at 12:01.

I saw the argon hammocks from Dutch and it is really tempting. However, I got some of the Wally World $1.50 stuff and really want to try making my own. Good luck on your project.

• + New Posts