WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles

New indoor hang...

For the past few years, I've been having problems waking with body aches if I sleep for more than about 6-7 hours. I've been dealing with it by sleeping part of the night on the couch, then retiring to my bed later in the night. That doesn't work on the weekends, and I've often had to get up early due to body aches on Sat/Sun mornings.

Yesterday was one of those mornings. I went to sleep on the couch around 11pm Friday night and transferred to bed around 3am. At 7am, I was tossing around trying to find a sleep position that didn't hurt. Rather upset, I got up and started the day with Ibuprofin and coffee. I then turned to this forum for research. After a bit of reading, I was out the door to Home Depot and Walmart.

Here's what I came home with...

new hang1.jpg

Studfinder
    #14 Spax screws 2.5"
    D ring Anchor points - 300lb rated (the eyebolts I found were 250lb, so I opted for this instead)
    Equip Travel Hammock

Later in the day, I had this all setup with the hammock hanging over my bed.

new hang2.jpg

I then proceeded to making my "No Sew Poncho Liner Underquilt".

new hang3.jpg

This morning I got up around 9:30am, and I feel much better. No body ache! I have a slight crick in my neck from the pillow, so I'll probably just go without one. Otherwise, I had no discomfort to speak of this morning. The only thing I didn't understand was my need to go to the bathroom was more frequent than normal. There are other factors that could contribute to that, so I'll have to see how that plays out over time.

My dog, Moe, was a bit confused about all this. Normally he sleeps on top of the sheets, but curled up against my hip. He really wanted in the hammock, but I didn't want him to join me on the first night. I put him next to me with a pillow to snuggle on the bed. He did ok for the most part, but he woke me around 7am when he finally decided to be brave enough to hop in the hammock with me. Letting him snuggle with me will take some work to find a comfortable lay.

new hang4.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'd like to find a better hammock, and I don't want to put daily use on my WBBB. I'm also considering acquiring a stand. I'm in an apartment, so I know I'm taking a risk. It's one I thought about and decided to proceed with. That said, my folks are coming to visit next month, and will be using my bed for that weekend. Unless I want to spend the weekend on the couch, I'll need a way to hang in the living room.

Thanks for reading,

Vert
    Last edited by VertigoTX; 09-14-2014 at 11:34. Reason: fixed a typo

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    Great to hear some experiences from a newbie-indoor hanger. I'm thinking about getting around to this when I build my hammock.

About the rush to the bathroom: http://theultimatehang.com/2014/01/h...-make-you-pee/

Other than that, I can't help you with knowing if any damage might result to the walls from hanging.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Thanks for the link. That's an interesting potential explanation. I'm also type 2 diabetic and forgot to take my after dinner medicine last night. That might have added to the problem as well. After thinking more about this today, I've decided to get a stand for when my family comes. I'll set it up in my room after they leave and spare the wall. I may use one of the brackets to stand/anchor the bed to the wall while it's not in use.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VertigoTX View Post
    I have a slight crick in my neck from the pillow, so I'll probably just go without one.
    Try a camping down pillow. They don't provide enough support when sleeping on the ground, but they are perfect for hammock use. I use a WM Cloud Rest and can highly recommend it. Several cottage vendors offer down pillows as well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I fell asleep on the couch last night, woke up around 3am sore. Climbed in the hammock and slept well until 6am. No pain and no bathroom visits. Looking into a stand today.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles

Update...

Monday I spoke with Dan of Byer of Maine regarding his products. We discussed the Ceara stand and a few of his hammock options. Dan was very helpful and friendly. He took his time to answer all my questions and concerns. He never seemed rushed or pressured during the conversation. I ordered the stand, and may consider one of their hammock offerings in the future. I would gladly do business with him again. Thanks Dan!

The stand is going to allow me to hang in October when my folks come to visit. The only reasonable place I have for them to sleep is my bed, so I'll be hanging in my stand in the living room. After they leave, I think I"ll use the load bearing wall mount to tie up the bed and cover it with a sheet that matches my paint. This will give me room for the stand, and make it so I can swap to the bed should I have a need in the future.

Tuesday night I heard some odd creaking from the interior wall. I got out to investigate, and there are two small lumps imprinted in the sheetrock from the nails that attach the sheet rock to the stud. I decided to stop stressing that wall. It might be just fine, and it might be a problem. I figure that with the stand coming, there is no need to take an unnecessary risk.

I've not slept well since.

FedEx tracking shows the stand arrives today. I'm excited about the opportunity to get some good sleep tonight. I think I'll be ordering some supplies to make my own tablecloth hammock this weekend. I've also been eyeing a couple of other options online.
    Last edited by VertigoTX; 09-19-2014 at 09:30. Reason: fixed a typo

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    @VertigoTX...I'm surprised you adapted so quickly to sleeping comfortably in a hammock. It took me about 6 weeks before I started feeling comfortable. In the beginning, I thought maybe hammocks weren't for me. However, I love sleeping in one now.

I purchased a Vario stand from Seaside Hammocks. It works fine for my Mayan Tommy Hamaca Grande hammocks, but I bottom out with a 14-ft Brazilian hammock. The arms of the stand are at full extension and the length from tip to tip is currently 13 feet, with one notch left for extension at the base. If I were you, I would consider building a stand yourself. Derek over at The Ultimate Hang has a nice how-to for a pipe stand that you can make for much cheaper than the Vario stand costs. The plans are somewhere in the forums here as well. For a variation on Derek's model, see this thread.

I'm not sure if the pipe stand would work for me for the 14-foot Brazilian hammock, so I'm thinking again about hanging from the walls. I really didn't want to have to do that, but I don't want to have possibly two Brazilian hammocks that cost me over $500 sitting around collecting dust.

Whoops...I didn't read your last post completely. As far as metal ready-made stands go, I think the Vario is currently the best one. Oh well...too late now.
    Last edited by @Diagonal; 09-19-2014 at 23:04.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I wouldn't say I've adapted to comfortably sleeping yet. I've slept in it 2 nights now. One was good, one was not. I didn't wake up in pain on either morning, and I felt well rested despite the extra wake ups. That's what has me enthusiastic. I didn't feel the price of the stand was too much for the opportunity for a change in my sleep. The bed that's causing me pain was over $500 just over a year ago.

Thanks for the input

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    $500...LOL! I spent $3,300 on a Tempurpedic pillow-top mattress almost 10 years ago. What regrets I now have about that decision. Wish I had known about hammocks back then.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I'm not sure how to take your response... but I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a $3k bed. $500 was all I could afford at the time to stop sleeping on the couch. It's an entry level Sealy, but it has not served me well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast