Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Discussion: The Importance of Backyard Testing

One of the most common thread types that I see here on HF is associated with, "Will I be comfortable with X, Y, and Z in my set up?" The real answer for most folks is, "It depends."

Why? Because each of us is different from each other. That doesn't mean that each of us can't give general information about a product; it just means that each of us is a slightly different size, has different habits, different metabolisms, and different preferences. All of which makes each of our set-up comfort zones slightly different.

The one question that often comes up and is somewhat troubling to me when I see it is, "Will I be okay at X temperature or in Y weather with these particular items." The reason that this is troubling some of the time is that it is asked about temperatures and weather conditions that have the potential to kill someone who is unprepared for them--50* and pouring rain, 33* and sleeting with no way to make a fire, -20* with wind chill, etc.

It's important to know your gear and your skills under such conditions; that knowledge may literally save your life. Which brings me to backyard testing...

"Backyard" testing doesn't necessarily need to be in an actual back yard. Instead, it can be done anywhere that mirrors the back country conditions you expect--as long as the ability to get to a safe shelter in very little time, with very little effort is existent. Car camping, yard camping, camping near a shelter, even bringing an extra set of equipment you know works into the back country are all potential "backyard" testing methods.

Backyard testing is especially important when it comes to insulation and weather protection systems (quilts, pads, vapor barrier sleep systems, tarps, undercovers, hammock socks, the list goes on and on), as these are what keep you warm and dry in bad weather when your metabolism is at its lowest ebb. Investment in time and effort here will help keep you from being too cold, wet, and miserable to enjoy a trip. Heck, it may even save your life!

So, my point is: if you're considering trying out a new piece of equipment that varies significantly from what you're used to, try it somewhere safe before venturing out ten miles from the nearest road. It's definitely worth it.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms? Badly-thrown rotten fruit? Please discuss anything you might have to add to this!

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Images
    Lots of Great info and advice very well written.
    thanks FLR

Just do to convience or maybe it's just being lazy but I spend more night in my backyard than anyother place.

I tip my hat to all fellow backyard testers.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    While this advice is probably most important with shelter related items it also applies to cooking gear, clothing, and especially water filtration. Nothing ruins a trip faster than bringing out a new shiny stove on the trail only to find you're missing some essential piece of the kit.

I'm pretty OCD about most all of my gear and I keep it stored and ready to go at a moment's notice. However, I still open up my tarps, hammock, cookset, etc before a trip and make sure everything is in good order. Fortunately since I typically hike with a group the loss of a single item probably won't be a show stopper but it will be an incredible inconvenience for everyone else.

I mixed up two identical green dry bags a few years ago and ended up doing a weekend hike that dipped into the 20s in shorts and a fleece top. My other warm clothes were safely back in my friend's trunk. Luckily I had a hat, gloves, and a warm down bag so I was still pretty comfortable. I just sat a lot closer to the campfire than everyone else

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    It seems most questions revolve around gear purchases, in which case asking questions and researching without having an opportunity to try is all most people can do...and is exactly what they should be doing barring any opportunity for a mentor. But once you own it, I absolutely agree that people should test it under controlled conditions. Spend some nights in the cold and rain and snow in your backyard, so that when you head out for your actual trip, you won't be guessing at what you need and hoping it will be adequate. The colder it is, the more your life depends on knowing your gear and its limitations.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Very nice write up, thanks for sharing..

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Ditto on testing your gear. Was giving a hammock class to some Boy Scouts and one the boys broke out a new Eno SN and tarp to set up only to find out he did not have every thing he needed to set it all up. Fortunately this took place in my back yard and I used it as a learning experience. One of the scouts went on to hike half the AT using a hammock for part of the trip ( he started very early and did not have the gear to hang in the snow so he used a tent until it warmed up)

Picture of my backyard testing area. The day I got my new MamaJamba Tarp and was playing with it, we got 7" of snow so I also set up my hammock to see what would happen. Got down to 18 degrees. I was using a full length pad and a 20 degree sleeping bag. Did ok until about 2 or 3 AM when I had to bail. Reason was I had just started taking blood thinners and my feet and hands were like ice . Lesson learned...Better to find this out at home and I bought some better insulation in the form of a FL UQ and TQ rated to o degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

great timing, i aim backyard testing right now. i am trying to decide on the ridgeline length for a new hammock. how short can i go and still be comfortable. i test everything in the backyard before i go backpacking. its much easier to recover when at home vice 10 miles in the woods.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Ditto on testing your gear. Was giving a hammock class to some Boy Scouts and one the boys broke out a new Eno SN and tarp to set up only to find out he did not have every thing he needed to set it all up. Fortunately this took place in my back yard and I used it as a learning experience. One of the scouts went on to hike half the AT using a hammock for part of the trip ( he started very early and did not have the gear to hang in the snow so he used a tent until it warmed up)

Picture of my backyard testing area. The day I got my new MamaJamba Tarp and was playing with it, we got 7" of snow so I also set up my hammock to see what would happen. Got down to 18 degrees. I was using a full length pad and a 20 degree sleeping bag. Did ok until about 2 or 3 AM when I had to bail. Reason was I had just started taking blood thinners and my feet and hands were like ice . Lesson learned...Better to find this out at home and I bought some better insulation in the form of a FL UQ and TQ rated to o degrees.
    Nice backyard setup

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Absolutely!

When I first decided to venture into 4-season hammocking, I had already been camping in the winter for many years. I knew the change from 3-season to sub-zero conditions was more than just a few warmer clothes or quilts. I spent the next months watching the weather forecast and sleeping in the backyard (literally) trying out different configurations of gear. Learning how different pieces interact and complement (or not) each other was invaluable. At the extreme temps it isn't so much how one piece of gear works, it is how it works with other gear as a system. Since I am now a 4-season hanger and my winter is sub-zero, I need to know how minor changes to my system will affect my comfort. Also in those extreme temps, one cognitive ability is lessened so familiarity with ones system becomes paramount for safety. One doesn't want to have to figure out how to do something in those conditions. It must be automatic.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast