Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I spoke with Hillbilly Deluxe and his wife, VineyGirl, about locations and I think it's still up in the air a bit. I don't think it should be required to have a 4x4 (i.e. it should be a plowed road).
    I'm in favor to a location in the same general vicinity as last year.

Michael

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiresmiley View Post
    With the cold, mukluks are a great choice -- you'll see lots of them at the hang, loose fitting to allow for insulation without compression. For night, as TZBrown indicated in the other thread you should plan on at least 5 inches of combined loft from layered quilts or sleeping bags. You glean quite a bit of information from last year's thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Butt-Hang-quot

You can see the crazy ultra cold set I made last year for testing at the Frozen Butt Hang. Theoretically good to about -70, had to vent during the hang. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Cold-Top-Quilt

The advice on clothing is good, with the constant use of a warming fire, wool exterior clothing is highly recommended, and snowshoes are a must. The biggest recommendation is to first thoroughly test all of your gear in a safe location in conditions similar to what you expect to see at this hang. This is not the place to try gear for the first time, or to find out something isn't working out as planned.

I'm looking forward to this trip again this year.
    Nice. Freaking. Quilt! ! !

Okay, so far here's what I am piecing together. . .

My hammock is a Clark NX250. For starters on the bottom side I am planning to use the old style Z-liner (this is the one with pads that go in the 6 pockets and a foot piece that velcroes on from the pockets back). Next I was going to use a Jacks Mt. Washington 3 full UQ, then under that a Jacks Greylock 4.

Top insulation I have a Western Moutaineering Badger 15 degree bag and a Marmot Never Summer 0 degree bag. Not sure yet on how well one will fit into the other but will start trying to see this weekend. Does this sound about right for my rig or should I go another route? Suggestions?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I'd say it's probably good, but I'd always bring along a cheap CCF pad as they are very warm for the cost. Worst case scenario is that it just stays in the car. My first winter hang I had a very similar setup as you and was fine.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I'd say it's probably good, but I'd always bring along a cheap CCF pad as they are very warm for the cost. Worst case scenario is that it just stays in the car. My first winter hang I had a very similar setup as you and was fine.
    Sounds like the next tackle will be condensation issues. Not sure how to deploy the zippered cover over the NX250 yet. Woke up to it raining inside when fully zipped up and hanging in the 20s soaking my bag. Anyone tried using a snorkel mouthpiece and tubing deployed outside their rig? May be too cold to breathe at the temps I will be dealing with. Just brainstorming here!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by RADIOHEAD View Post
    Sounds like the next tackle will be condensation issues. Not sure how to deploy the zippered cover over the NX250 yet. Woke up to it raining inside when fully zipped up and hanging in the 20s soaking my bag. Anyone tried using a snorkel mouthpiece and tubing deployed outside their rig? May be too cold to breathe at the temps I will be dealing with. Just brainstorming here!
    Stairguy has used a snorkel system in the past. When I tried it, the hose was too long and there weren't any valves in the mask to let fresh air in, so I ended up not getting enough oxygen.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Purple Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I'm seriously tempted to make the long drive out for this. Been in India the last 2 years and could use some cold. Do we have any target dates for this trip? I've got a lot of DIY to do in time for the trip once the plane lands

***Doh, dates in first post. Looking forward to this!
    Last edited by Tr1ppler; 09-19-2014 at 12:30.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiresmiley View Post
    With the cold, mukluks are a great choice -- you'll see lots of them at the hang, loose fitting to allow for insulation without compression. For night, as TZBrown indicated in the other thread you should plan on at least 5 inches of combined loft from layered quilts or sleeping bags. You glean quite a bit of information from last year's thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Butt-Hang-quot

You can see the crazy ultra cold set I made last year for testing at the Frozen Butt Hang. Theoretically good to about -70, had to vent during the hang. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Cold-Top-Quilt

The advice on clothing is good, with the constant use of a warming fire, wool exterior clothing is highly recommended, and snowshoes are a must. The biggest recommendation is to first thoroughly test all of your gear in a safe location in conditions similar to what you expect to see at this hang. This is not the place to try gear for the first time, or to find out something isn't working out as planned.

I'm looking forward to this trip again this year.
    Hey Vampire, we never did get around to comparing our quilt sets last year. I definitely want to check yours out this year. If the date stays set, I'll book it off very shortly to ensure I can make it.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Ok, I swear that I replied to this thread already but I am either blind today or HF didn't accept my post. My only suggestion for the trip this year is to have it on a weekend that I don't work. Thanks
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Then don't work on the third weekend of January. ��

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It appears I may be traveling up by myself this year, and therefore am looking for other MI hangers interested in splitting travel costs for this event. I will be traveling from either Lansing or Bay City (I live in both locations due to work) and could pick up participants along the way. I have a very large F350 Lariat crew cab that can very comfortably fit 3 or more additional passengers. Last year I went a day early to help prepare the site, and enjoyed the extra time. i would like to try to do that again this year if the additional riders are able, but I am flexible. Please let me know if you are from MI and are interested in participating in the MN frozen but hang.

Michael

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast