Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    I have hiked all those except the PCT. Never stepped foot on it even though I've been just about everywhere in Desolation Wilderness, which the PCT runs right through the middle of. But since it bisects it I have been able to do both halves without crossing it. Now that's irony.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    HH ULBP; WBBB
    Tarp
    HH stock
    Insulation
    HH UC
    Mostly Nat. Forest, Nat. Parks (lots of nice choices here in the West), with State lands and city/state Open Space land filling in most of the rest.

Outside of actual camping, my ENO Doublenest has seen use in parks, beaches, events and even a horse barn.
    Last edited by Snake; 08-05-2009 at 18:41. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Anywhere I can, but preferably where there are no people around. I like feeling "remote" when I camp. I hate seeing other people, or being able to hear cars on a nearby road, etc. Mostly state land and private land currently. My front yard when my daughter insists on me throwing up the tent for a weekend.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Torso UQ
    Images
    Broadly, yeah, what you described would fit that definition. Not that you were implying so, but I do want to clarify that I don't simply trudge around with an attitude that I can set up camp everywhere I please, hang where I please, and generally wreak havoc upon private property, shared public spaces, and fragile ecosystems.

I have done a bit of traveling with a backpack/hammock sleep system/bit of food/mandolin and getting to places by rideshare and hitchhiking, so when I end up in a city or town where I don't know anyone or have a place to crash, it's nice to be able to find a secluded area to camp in for free, always adhering as much as I can to leave-no-trace principles. One example: earlier this year I camped down in the woods a mile or so behind a shopping center on the site of an early 1900s glass dump in Austin, TX...lots of cool old bottles down there. The spot had obviously been used -- and abused. So while I went out to rustle up some food my buddy went around and cleaned up lots of trash. I came back and he had gathered up a pile of trash three feet high on a tarp that we found lying around. We dragged as much of it out of the spot as we could, but jeez, it is a shame how folks in our culture will find a way to leave their garbage just about anywhere. Something tells me that attitude wouldn't have flown in the old hobo jungles of yesteryear...

So far in my limited experience I haven't had any problems with stealth camping, but once I was caught in a rainstorm that came quickly and had to set up my tarp in full visibility in a city park. Once the storm died down a little someone came by walking their dog and asked if I was OK. I told 'em "yep!" and that I had just got a bunch of new backpacking equipment and just wanted to try it out in the rain. Worked out fine, but thinking about it now that might not be such a good one to tell to just anybody you run into. I mean, if you're gonna mug me I'll give ya my wallet but please don't take my Blackbird!!!

If I were to be hassled by property owners or other authorities, I'd much rather dialogue with them and kindly pack up camp and move on, rather than get chased down with a shotgun or something!

Oh yeah, best advice for camping in the city and actually SLEEPING -- bring earplugs!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    I assume that "stealth" camping you mean camping anywhere you like without concerns about whether or not it is permitted? Don't ask, don't tell...

Have you ever had any issues or problem with your "stealth" camping? Being chased away or worse?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Almost always in wilderness areas.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    it is a shame how folks in our culture will find a way to leave their garbage just about anywhere
    I couldn't agree with you more. The wife and I went Car Camping this last weekend spur-of-the-moment and ended up at a very overused group campground. Needless to say, I was extremely dissapointed to find used diapers, bottles, and broken chairs in the creek. I had to filter our ice chest water after seeing we were down stream from the diaper. Oh and the lovely person who spray-painted "TACO" on about a dozen or so large boulders around the water. We didn't see all this untill after we had set up camp and were prepairing for dinner, or we would have hightailed it outta there. We found out later that night that the campground attracts kids of the "FRAT BOY" sect of society. So sad to see something like that.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    it's areas like that that made me give up improved campgrounds years ago. like I said eairlier, first sign of pavement and I am gone.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Insulation
    JRB MT Wash4 & ORM
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    I hang on crown land and sometimes do some stealth camping in our cities local greenbelt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Mostly the SHT (superior hiking trail) and then various parks and forests.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    TW XL black at the moment
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag

Where do you camp?

Threads like this make me want to cry!

Look at all your options!

Where I live in the UK (Lincolnshire), is mostly flat, featureless, farm land, with a few sporadic spinneys and not much else. Even if you do find somewhere potentially good for camping on, you are not allowed, because someone (mainly anonymous) owns the land and it would be trespassing!

The forests in this country have been mainly destroyed now so it's very hard here, such a shame.

There is one relatively small wooded area where I have found and am allowed to camp in a 1 hour range from me and even then, EVERY night the neighbouring land owner shines a (brighter than the sun) torch over the entire woodland, just at the point where I am almost asleep.

I think it's time to move, there are starting to be far too many things here that I do not like.

Sorry about that, you can carry on now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast