MI>Nordhouse Dunes>Oct 16-19>Advice?

Hey all,

First time posting here but I have been lurking a long time. kruski, myself and two others are going for our first all out primitive hike and hang. We have previously done the Poto trail system by Pinckney for two nights and the Holly Rec area earlier this year for a couple nights to try out some cold weather stuff. We are planning on arriving to the Nordhouse area later Thursday Oct 16th and head home Sunday Oct 19th. We have been camping at Nordhouse Lake Mich Rec area for years, but it is always car camping with some mountain biking.

What I'm wondering is does anyone have some pointers on where to first meet up for a great hang as well as a solid hike to do for Friday and Saturday? We'd like to do 8-12 miles each day and plan on carrying everything on our backs. We'll have multiple cars, so we can leave one at an end point and another for the starting point.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a ton!

Cheers!
    Steve

PS I saw the Fall Hang is the weekend before but we unfortunately can't make that weekend

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Welcome!!!

I would suggest parking at the Nurnberg Rd trailhead. Hike north along the trail which is on top of the ridge, passes Nordhouse lake. I'm not sure of the mileage without checking but I would guess it's only a few miles before reaching the Rec. area you mention. Still a nice hike. Before getting to the rec area, you can just tuck into the woods somewhere and spend the night. On the next day, maybe continue north then hang a left (west) to the lake, and hike that trail back to the south...all the way to the end of the area or even to the lighthouse. Then back north and into the woods somewhere.

You can put on some mileage here, but not in the sense most people want. But I like it, just kinda wandering for a few days.

I may be there Oct 10-13, but not sure yet...too many decicions!

p.s. If you park at Nurnberg, remember to bring some cash for the pay station - $5/day. I always keep some emergency 5's stashed in my car in case I forget!
    Last edited by OneClick; 09-15-2014 at 13:58.

• + New Posts