WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hanging in unfinished basement

I recently bought a house and it has an unfinished basement. I would like to drill through the 2x10 (or maybe they are 2x12?) floor joists and hang length wise with the joist. Is this a good idea and safe? Otherwise there are just concrete walls... It has been awhile since I have been on here and can't remember if this topic has been covered.

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    I asked similar questions here....a lot of helpful ideas later in the thread specific to attaching to the joists.
    I know several people have drilled through the joists and it worked OK.
    If your still uncomfortable doing it, a stand (Look for Turtledog) will work very well too.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by ADKrella; 09-15-2014 at 19:59.

Hammock
    WB BB DL XL
    Tarp
    SilNylon (rectngl)
    Insulation
    BA Insulatd Inflat
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amilykovic View Post
    I recently bought a house and it has an unfinished basement. I would like to drill through the 2x10 (or maybe they are 2x12?) floor joists and hang length wise with the joist. Is this a good idea and safe? Otherwise there are just concrete walls... It has been awhile since I have been on here and can't remember if this topic has been covered.
    You shouldn't have any problem regarding the strength of the joists. I do something similar from the 2X10 roof rafters on my back porch. Just don't drill the holes close to the bottom of the joists.

Here is a suggestion though. The rafters are probably not at the exact height to give you your ideal hang angles. I took the ridge pole idea from my turtledog stand . The ropes from the rafters can support your ridge pole at the exact height that you want. I use 3 4' sections of aluminum military camo netting support posts. I can get them locally for $3/pole so my ridge pole cost me $9. The aluminum are much better than the fiberglass poles but those should work also. I sleep there nearly every night when it's not too hot. I would post a picture but it is too dark out there to take a good photo now.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Perfectly fine. Perfect hang every time! I think mine are spaced about 20' apart, since the ceiling is 7-8' BTW, I don't plan on finnishing it anytime soon, but since this photo I painted the floor and primed and painted the walls and it looks SOOO much better. Throw down an area rug, done

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

welcome to the bunkroom

I used these
    038613122789lg.jpg

To do this
    unnamed.jpg

Front to back
    my dad in my warbonnet ridgerunner
    my brother in his warbonnet xlc
    my nephew in his warbonnet traveler
    my son in my simply light designs streamliner

All of them are attached to eye bolts going up into the joists.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the replies. I think I will try the ridge pole to lower the height.

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Perfectly fine. Perfect hang every time! I think mine are spaced about 20' apart, since the ceiling is 7-8' BTW, I don't plan on finnishing it anytime soon, but since this photo I painted the floor and primed and painted the walls and it looks SOOO much better. Throw down an area rug, done
    I'm surprised your walls weren't covered with fiberglass insulation, or did you remove it?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by @Diagonal View Post
    I'm surprised your walls weren't covered with fiberglass insulation, or did you remove it?
    No, just a big concrete hole in the ground! When home shopping, all of the unfinished basements around here were like this. I'm not sure if it's laziness, cost-cutting, or just something that varies by location. Just barely out of frame, near the ceiling is a bunch of fiberglass batts stuffed all around the edge - this is by the ground level and where any cold would come in. I thought it would be freezing, but maintains a constand 66-68° year round. I'll definitely insulate if I ever finish and drywall the basement though.

You can see tie rod holes on the walls. I spent about 3 hours filling in all 160 of them with hydraulic cement. Talk about boring! Other than aestetics, the other reason why I painted everything was to get rid of the "chalky" feel of the cement...it felt dirty no matter how much I cleaned.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG UQ/OQ
    i concur on the paint. Just finished putting down some rustoleom epoxy paint, the kind you put on your garage floor. makes the basement feel cleaner and less dusty. perfect for hammock gear experimentation.

• + New Posts