DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 12 ft. w/Doors
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by paustin View Post
    Good choices come from a lot of experience.

Experience come from a lot of bad choices.

You just hope you live through enough of one to get the other.
    Awesome! I really like that paustin. Advice to live life by, not just hang by.lol

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think everyone has spent a cold night in the woods. Fortunately most of us survive and learned from it. If not there is the Darwin Theory Glad you are safe

Insulation
    Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Straps / woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by NightHawk! View Post
    Awesome! I really like that paustin. Advice to live life by, not just hang by.lol
    Thanks. My son is learning to drive. Lots and lots of bad choices. Hoping that experience comes quickly.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Isn't it amazing how quickly things can turn? In the blink of an eye, we can go from 100% confident to complete vulnerability? I am glad you made it back out and thank you for sharing so we can all learn. This is a great reminder, too.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Sometimes a trip like this is a real eye opener and makes you pause and rethink everything. I've had a few of these and it made me better each time. It's a never ending journey and all you can do is rely on experience and not panic.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    W L Ol Man Winter
    Insulation
    EE Rev X-JB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock BB buckles
    When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
    Mark Twain
    Had my "dumb moment" 48 years ago in NW Ontario...My dad told me not to walk out on that mossy, slick outcropping over the rapids between two lakes.....150 miles from the nearest road and a short 65 minute flight on a puddle jumper that wasn't due for 5 days......he grabbed me by my hair (t'was the 60s') just before I was about to go in......Been bald ever for 35 years now.....You are not dumb.....you had an advanced lesson in life....Live and learn......and let it go.....and pay it forward....

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    It can be an eye opener how you can freeze in a hammock while wearing all those clothes with a pad and two sleeping bags. Having good bottom insulation is the key. There was a thread recently on the importance of testing your gear in a controlled environment (backyard, etc.) before venturing out on a serious trip. Then you'll know what your comfort zone and limits are with the gear you have. One of the coldest nights I had in a hammock was shortly after I bought one. I went kayak camping in mid-July with a fleece sleeping bag and no bottom insulation. The night only dipped into the mid-50's, but I shivered and was miserable all night long. Now I use an underquilt, and those temps are nothing in shorts and a T-shirt.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Glad youre ok! Every one has trip stories like that--------last winter I packed in a hurry and forgot to bring a headlamp . I was able to improvise witha stub of a candle, and the back light on my kindle!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

We all learn one way or another. I learned I needed an underquilt when I tried to camp at 65°. And just this past week I learned to keep my underquilt snug around my head area. And most importantly I learned to not keep my feet so close to the end of the hammock, my right foot left the underquilt and I woke up with bad bone pain in the morning because it was so cold....

Some extras I learned: Always carry something to get bugs out of your ears (I had a bug in my ear for 4 days!!!!!!)
    I need a WBBB 1.1 SL
    Grand trunk will never get my business
    Always check for thicks at night (my hiking partner found one on his leg 3 days after the trip)

We all learn by experience, it is the best teacher.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    ENO (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopies
    At summer camp this year I shivered for hours in my hammock waiting for daylight. A simple mistake, I assumed I would be fine at 50 deg weather after the front blew though. I was wrong. However after borrowing a fema blanket at scout camp I was sleeping well the next night. This just reminds me to get going on my under and over quilt!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast