Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images

Question about Stingers & Wasps vs. Flyz, and TATO Tarp Connectors

I've been using Flyz for awhile now, only complaint I have is that 1.75mm line can often get stuck pretty good in the antenna esp. after it rains. I know you can open them slightly with a small screwdriver, but there's also the issue that since they're so small there's nothing really to grab on to when trying to pull (wrench) the line free. I do go around the little antenna first but that doesn't seem to make a difference in my experience.

So I'm curious if those using wasps or stingers feel that the line is a little easier to release from the antennas, either due to their design or the fact that there's more to grab on to during the process?

And to keep my questions contained to a single thread, wondering if anyone has experienced any slippage of the tarp when using the TATO tarp connectors? The "hook" on the wasp would seem to work better since tension on the line prevents it from slipping through the eye hole, however on the TATO connector there's just a single wrap around the hook to prevent this from happening.

Just trying to brainstorm various ease of use improvements to my tarp setup, thanks for your thoughts.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    I use Prusiks and a single Dutch Wasp for my tarp's CRL. The Wasp works well; the mechanical advantage is nice and holds LashIt with a good bite. It's a firm bite but nothing I can't undo comfortably with bare hands.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I have wasps, stingerz and flyz. All seem to bite my 1.75 zing-it the same. So I'd say the antenna is about the same.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Cannot comment on the tarp connectors - always just use prusics.

I have Flyz, Stingerz, and Wasps.

For me the flyz take a bit more effort to unwrap... maybe just because they are so small compared to my fingers
    Flyz, being the lightest solution of the three, are used in my ultralight kits with 2-piece tarp ridgelines. Or with a flyz and a dutchhook for a UL continuous tarp RL.

The Wasps are my new favorite because they can be moved along the line more easily than the flyz (adjusting for different tree sizes).

The stingers have never been a problem for me. Easiest for me to wrap and to unwrap.
    My favorite tarp suspensions (not the lightest) now include Stingerz at the tarp ridgeline attachments and also flyz or wasps. Around here, Sometimes distance or large tree(s) require using the flyz instead of wrapping the line all the way back to the stingerz.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have used Flyz - now using Wasps and Stingers. I quit using the Flyz because their tiny size was hard to manage with cold fingers.
    It seems to me that the Zing-it is somewhat harder to release from the Wasps and Stingers than when I was using Flyz. The line seems to sink more deeply into the locking groove. I think I will try opening the groove slightly as mentioned.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I have used Flyz - now using Wasps and Stingers. I quit using the Flyz because their tiny size was hard to manage with cold fingers.
    It seems to me that the Zing-it is somewhat harder to release from the Wasps and Stingers than when I was using Flyz. The line seems to sink more deeply into the locking groove. I think I will try opening the groove slightly as mentioned.
    The Wasps are easier, more belly, so the line is easy to grab. You can bend it to adjust the grabbing/release of the line.
    It's also easier to slide on the line by rotating it 90 degrees, perpendicular to the direction of travel and slide.

Flyz work, are nifty but a bit too fiddly for my fumble fingers, especially in the wet and cold.

Stingerz just work, love 'em.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Tried them all as well, the stingerz are what i have come back to, the wasps were nice, same as the flyz but abit small to grab onto,, the stingerz give me alittle more surface to get my fat fingers on and i like them the best.
    Dutch was a genius when he came up with the stingerz IMO.
    I tried the crl with the Tato connecters and the crl's are not for me, went back to the stingerz again, but the Tato connecters held great, no slippage at all once they are hooked they dont move..
    Imo the stingerz are the best out of all the options available..

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    I've been using Flyz for awhile now, only complaint I have is that 1.75mm line can often get stuck pretty good in the antenna esp. after it rains. I know you can open them slightly with a small screwdriver, but there's also the issue that since they're so small there's nothing really to grab on to when trying to pull (wrench) the line free. I do go around the little antenna first but that doesn't seem to make a difference in my experience.

So I'm curious if those using wasps or stingers feel that the line is a little easier to release from the antennas, either due to their design or the fact that there's more to grab on to during the process?

And to keep my questions contained to a single thread, wondering if anyone has experienced any slippage of the tarp when using the TATO tarp connectors? The "hook" on the wasp would seem to work better since tension on the line prevents it from slipping through the eye hole, however on the TATO connector there's just a single wrap around the hook to prevent this from happening.

Just trying to brainstorm various ease of use improvements to my tarp setup, thanks for your thoughts.
    I know what you mean about the line getting stuck and especially after a strong wind. Here is what I do. Unhook it from the front hook, twist the part so it is facing the tarp instead of the tree, it will slide right out. Otherwise you are trying to pull it out from the side and that is hard.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Thanks for all of the responses. Turning the Flyz per Dutch's comment does help (sometimes), but I think part of my issue is the small size of it makes tricky - esp. in the cold as others have mentioned. The other thing is that it's used as the final tie off per Derek Hansen's pulley CRL setup, so inevitably it gets cinched pretty good. I've got a mod to the setup in mind using UCRs so I think that plus a switch to Stingerz is probably my best bet.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have the old style flyz, from back when Dutch have them away for free. The antennas are the same length, so don't seem to grip as hard. I love them and have had no issues with them. They are my go-to tarp system for 3-season use.

I did have problems once in the winter, though that was due to hypothermia. I estimate i spent at least an hour trying to set up my tarp. It was a bad situation, but what it taught me was that i need to simplify in winter and, specifically, to increase the size of my gear despite the weight/bulk penalty. I now use the small Nite-ize fig 9 biners and 2.2mm line to rig my ridge line in the winter.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast