Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to Hammock camping

What are the pros and cons if ENO vs Grand Trunk ? My local outfitters carry them and they talk up the one they care. It will be my first and I'd like to keep cost down as I'm just getting into hiking but would like to get more for my money. Thanks

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I have owned both and prefer the ENO. Very well made!!

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I have the ENO double and love it. The reason I got the double is to lay at an angle 'A-symmetric'. I never used the Grand Trunk.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    i also have the eno double, got my 9 yr old daughter a double as well, i like them, very durable, easy to care for, not a bad sleep either, my daughter has more nights under the stars with her eno than i do, get the eno and go hang!!!!!!!!

keep on hanging in the free world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Dwhitt1981!

From what I can tell the differences are minor at best. I have a few ENOs and I very much like them. A Grand Trunk hammock is on my waiting list. They both have plenty of fans and I haven't heard anything negative about the Grand Trunk hammocks since they made a few design changes. I think I'd go with the Grand Trunk SB Pro as a first entry to the world of hammocking. Living in Alabama, you're going to need the bug-netting. A solution can be found in the aftermarket world of bug-netting, but for an extra $20 or so, it's worth it to not have the additional weight, cost, and general PITA from having to keep track of more gear.

Tell you what, if you end-up going with the SB Pro and don't like it...I'll buy it from you. No risk for you.
    Trust nobody!

First off Thanks for all the help.

I was looking more at the Grand Trunk just because it's the same price as the eno but it comes with the stap system and the eno straps are like $20 or so. As for the SB I've looked at one and was thinking of it or tryin to make my own bug net or even the eno one.But just at first look I couldn't see much difference in the two.

If I go with the SB I my take you up on the offer.

My wife is dead set on us getting hammocks whitch is cool with me. I don't think she liked the tent. I think it also helped when she got up that morning I told her to try my buddies eno and it was love at first sight.

I have both as well as Clarks and a Hennesy. Both the ENO and Grandtrunk are welll made but living in the south just as you do I prefer the SB with the net.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwhitt1981 View Post
    First off Thanks for all the help.
    I was looking more at the Grand Trunk just because it's the same price as the eno but it comes with the stap system and the eno straps are like $20 or so.
    Welcome to the forum!

Whichever hammock you go with, you might consider using a ring-buckle suspension as shown here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...eSupports.html

It's awesomely simple to use, and I set two hammocks up with this for less than the price of one set of Eno Slapstraps. (Okay, I had two climbing-rated carabiners on hand already, but I was still close!)

-Greg H

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    DIY is fine if you really like to make your own gear. Personally I would make the hammock and buy the after market bug net. Warbonnerguy offers a bugnet I think that would do well. ENO is a little heavy from what I've heard. I have had a Skeeter Beeter ultralight which I bought for my daughter. She does not enjoy camping so we sold that. I would get the SB Pro. A little more money but a lot more room. The bug net attached to the hammock is a nice thin IMO. I would rather have the integrated bug net than a separate bug sock but then I use an HH for camping so the bug net is a given.

Edit: whatever you get you are going to want to swap out the suspension system sooner than later. That's just the way it goes.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by ghandrick View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Whichever hammock you go with, you might consider using a ring-buckle suspension as shown here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...eSupports.html
    Thats a pretty cool idea. Looks like a pretty easy DIY strap. I love that it's totally adjustable. Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast