Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter UL
    Tarp
    DIY Black cat
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I really want to like hammock camping, please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

So I really want to like hammock camping. I have as of now, a hammock-grand trunk skeeter beeter with integrated bugnet (love it, co complaints here., I use tree straps and whoopie slings for my suspension, I have a DIY tarp, which I made from coated nylon-a tad on the heavy side I think, but its kept me dry. My insulation is where I think I'm being let down. I have several sleeping bags, mostly I've tried my USGI MSS in the hammock, with a PLUQ. But even in moderate weather- ie upper 50's to high 60's I am freezing. Especially my feet. Now I know the simple answer to this would be to buy a professionally made underquilt. But I can't bring myself to buy a 200 dollar down underquilt to use with a 60 dollar hammock. Especially when I can be warm and comfortable using my milsurp MSS, with my 20 dollar used Thermarest pad, inside a 70 dollar Eureka Solitare tent. I got into hammock camping to save weight, which I'm on the fence about when compared to all the accessories that I have to tote along with me when the weather isn't perfect. I got into hammock camping to save money, which once again is negated by the fact that I have to buy expensive top and bottom insulation. Am I just looking at this the wrong way? Should I, given my expectations from my gear and my wallet, just go back to tent camping? Or is there something that I am missing here that would make this all worth it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is all about comfort for me and to camp where tents can't be pitched. Just use your Thermarest pad and sleeping bag in the hammock and give that a go.
    I hope that may keep you warmer.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    I agree with Shug in that I use a hammock for the comfort. I think weight and cost wise, both methods are close to being equal. To bring weight down significantly, you have to spend more money for either method. I use a DIY hammock with a DIY bugnet and DIY climashield quilts. Only purchased item is a superfly tarp. To bring my weight down some, I'm going to have to go to down quilts, but I haven't had the need to do that. However, I do live in SC right now, so 20 degree nights are few. My back just appreciates a hammock more than the ground.
    Bill

Hammock
    Exped Scout Hammock Combi
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    If you camping in 50s F I can recommend DD Underblanket (I think you can buy it in US of A). I just got one and felt toasty when outside was 50F. It is rated -5C (23F) but didn't have a chance to test it in lover than 50F. Underblanket here in UK costs 49 Pounds so it will be way under 100 Bucks. Before I've been using pad but underblanket snugs you better giving much more comfort. It is a bit on the heavy side (34 oz) but for 1/3 of the price than down stuff.
    Keep faith and good luck.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I was warm at 48F last Saturday night with a thermarest pad, and a JRB quilt liner in the patrol bag of the MSS you mentioned.

My son slept next to me in his hammock with my $75 jarbidge UQ and the black bag of the MSS in fleece pajamas, and he slept great.

You can DIY a lot of Frankenstein gear, that while isn't optimal, does work.

We were car camping so weight wasn't an issue, but I will be spending the dough on some down quilts. I really do love hammock camping enough to make the investment.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    Sell your existing hammock, get a hammock bliss sky bed bug free - it's unique (apart from maybe the Amok) in that's it's specifically built for sleep mat use. It's asymmetric and a very flat lay. I love mine hence I keep eulogising about it but unfortunately there's precious little other info on it floating around apart from a few reviews on here (one by me).

I bought it for exactly the reason that I didn't want to splash out on another expensive UQ.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I wouldn't say you're looking at the wrong way. When properly geared, hammocks are about the same weight and same price as quality tenting gear. The difference is with options. You can hang a hammock anywhere you have two hanging points: above rocks, over water, back of a van, etc. the large difference is that with hammocks, as you get lighter (which always involves more cost if you want space age polymers and angel feather pillows) you can maintain comfort in a hammock.

Look at the some of the suggestions that have already been mentioned. Bringing your sleeping pad into the hammock is an excellent start.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I can only echo what others have said. Shug's video is worth it's weight in gold. For cold feet a couple of things I do is wear very loose fitting wood sock (don't wear them for anything but sleeping in) and use a hot water bottle on your groin area. My feet stay warm if my core is warm.

I slept in my hammock the first winter with a blue CCF pad from Walmart in a pad extender (search for SPE) and an old sleeping bag. It was not the most comfortable but I was certainly not cold and I was sleeping in temps down to 20F. Then I get my down UQ and the rest is history!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Pads definitely work in a hammock (though they're a little easier to use in a double-layer hammock). However, I just wanted to throw something out there on cost...yeah, a $20 pad and a $70 tent would work (adding up to $90), or for $10 more you could just buy a Jarbridge 3-season underquilt from AHE. That coupled with a piece of CCF foam (less than $7 from Walmart) and a decent sleeping bag (the MSS isn't exactly known for being lightweight backpacking-friendly), and you should be plenty toasty-warm.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Here's a suggestion:

You're in NC. Use the hammock only in weather that accommodates your present equipment. When it gets colder, use your tent. If you're not cold in the tent and you're carrying lighter gear than you would if you were in your hammock, problem solved, sell the hammock. If, however, you find that your current cold weather gear does not solve both problems, sell the tent or the hammock to buy better gear, depending on which one serves you best in other areas of concern and to match your camping/hiking style.

The problem is, you're going to spend $200 for a good down sleeping bag or quilt (or slightly less for Climashield) to use in either your $60 hammock or $70 tent after ditching your heaviest gear depending on which one you choose.

What follows is an opinion/observation on gear, not a criticism of your choice:

If you want to save weight, ditch the USGI MSS and buy cold weather gear designed to optimize weight. The MSS is a system designed around the idea that there will be Humvees or duece and a halves following troops carrying that stuff---its not camping equipment.

Here's the thing about military gear: the design requirements are different from those for recreational camping. It has to be used in all climates under harsh conditions and needs to do it for several years, and not necessarily by the same person during that time. This makes it bombproof, but not lightweight. Your weight problem does not come from the requirements of hammock camping. It comes from using gear that is designed to survive artillery barrages. Most of the time you don't get those while camping, unless someone has eaten too many beans.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast