Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Centennial Trail (Trail 89) - Planning

I'm thinking about doing a thru hike of the Centennial Trail in SD but need some information and advice. There's not a lot of talk about this trail. - As a recently transplanted Florida guy within a day's drive from my (new) home, it looks awesome!

It sounds like there may be sections of trail that are prairie and not suited for hammocking - I can tarp-tent my McCat but it's not my first choice if I don't have to. Can I avoid the ground?

It also sounds like water availability is an issue. Is there a good good guide for the trail that has water locations? I've seen the park maps online and know that they (or perhaps more detailed ones) can be purchased for about $10. The park maps don't focus on hiking logistics - are the purchased ones better? I'd prefer digital rather than paper. Have a GPS track with trailheads but not camps or water.

Permits?

Trail camping not in designated camps allowed?

Thanks! Would love to sneak away (even for just a section) this fall but it's more likely to happen next spring or early summer.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Damifino View Post
    I'm thinking about doing a thru hike of the Centennial Trail in SD but need some information and advice. There's not a lot of talk about this trail. - As a recently transplanted Florida guy within a day's drive from my (new) home, it looks awesome!

It sounds like there may be sections of trail that are prairie and not suited for hammocking - I can tarp-tent my McCat but it's not my first choice if I don't have to. Can I avoid the ground?

It also sounds like water availability is an issue. Is there a good good guide for the trail that has water locations? I've seen the park maps online and know that they (or perhaps more detailed ones) can be purchased for about $10. The park maps don't focus on hiking logistics - are the purchased ones better? I'd prefer digital rather than paper. Have a GPS track with trailheads but not camps or water.

Permits?

Trail camping not in designated camps allowed?

Thanks! Would love to sneak away (even for just a section) this fall but it's more likely to happen next spring or early summer.
    the only section of prairie you will hike on the trail is either right at the end or the beginning depending on direction of travel and is only about 6 miles of very easy walking, the rest of the trail is in the black hills where trees are everywhere and hanging the entire length is no problem at all

you can hang anywhere on forest service land at no charge, you just can't have a campfire of any kind.....there are a couple campgrounds along the trail you can also hang at but during the season they will cost you around $20, they open around memorial day and close around sept 1, so any dates outside that they are free but the services ie water and bathroom will be locked

the only permit you need is when you enter the black elk wilderness and it is just a self serve box that you sign up at and take a ticket, they just want too keep track of who is in there, there is no cost, that section is about 9 miles

as for water, this year there would be no problems the entire length because we had a very wet spring and summer, if you hike it any year in the spring you won't have trouble with water, some years you might have a bit of trouble finding water but i don't think you would not be able to find a couple of places in the course of the day even in a dry year

the southern section (south of sheridan lake) has alot of rocks and can beat up your feet pretty good so be aware of that

let me know if you have any other ?'s and i will answer as best i can

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Thanks Boot!

I would typically hike w/ 2 liters of H2O and look to refill/filter/treat as soon as one is empty or near-empty. Might take a third for safety. Sounds like the logistics are pretty reasonable.

Thanks again,
    T-

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Damifino View Post
    Thanks Boot!

I would typically hike w/ 2 liters of H2O and look to refill/filter/treat as soon as one is empty or near-empty. Might take a third for safety. Sounds like the logistics are pretty reasonable.

Thanks again,
    T-
    you should be fine

shoot me a pm when you plan on hiking the centennial and if you get in a pickle just let me know and i will run you a resupply!

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Yukon Mosquito Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty 12'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I just stumbled across this hidden gem. Did this trip come to fruition?

• + New Posts