Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greetings from Atlanta!

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to the forums from the beautiful, bustling metropolis of Atlanta, GA, and based on a quick scan I see that I am not the only ATLien in these parts. I was referred to this forum through watching some of sintax77's videos on YouTube in the attempt to satiate my desire to get back out on the trail.

Full disclosure, I was introduced to backpacking and the like when I was admitted to a drug/alcohol rehabilitation facility in North Carolina. About two and a half years ago at the tender age of 22, I admitted myself for alcohol abuse and "graduated" after about two and a half months of inpatient therapy and treatment. This included an intensive program of a series 2 week long trips into the Pisgah National Forest, as well as a four day solo experience, and since then my love for the practice has been cemented.

Since then, I've graduated from college with a degree, I work for one of the top firms in my field and generally lead a healthy, happy life. My lack of hobbies outside of recovery, however, has become quite alarming. Therefore, I intend to dive head-first into this forum, learn all that I can from a such a wide and varied base of expertise, and get back out there post haste. I have little to no experience with hammocks, specifically, apart from owning an ENO Singlenest, which from what I've heard from my more hardcore aficionado compatriots is not suitable for my purposes. Really looking forward to seeing what this community has to offer and learning from some friendly folks around the world!

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the site. This is the place to learn all about the joys of hammocking. Most people around here don't care what you have, but will point you to what has worked for them in the past. Take some time and explore. Now that the weather is cooling down, there will be some group hangs in N. GA, TN, and NC & SC areas. Try to stop by one and see what is available.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Welcome from ITP. No reason I can think of that the ENO would not be suitable. Maybe not preferable to some due mostly to what else is out there, but I'd have no qualms using one.

What part of ATL?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hello there! I'm ITP myself, I live in the Lindbergh area. I personally love my ENO for my own current casual use, but I'm certainly curious to see what else exists out there and look forward to finding out.

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Welcome aboard from a fellow Georgian. If it's learning you want, you're in the right place. And man, the weather is turning cooler, so it's the perfect time to head for the woods.

Another welcome from another Georgian, and by the way, a hang is on for the Raven Cliffs area soon, check the trip planning forum for details, and I hope to meet you there.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Welcome from Alabama. I hope to meet you at the Raven Cliffs Hang.
    It will be a great opportunity for you to see lots of different hammock set-ups and meet local hangers.https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t-17-18-and-19

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from down south! An ENO hammock is a great way to start hammock camping/backpacking, many of us started with them. In January, we're having the Fifth Annual Florida Hang at Doe Lake Recreation Area in the Ocala National Forest. Not a long way from you at all, just a quick trip down I-75. Its one of the largest hammock hangs in the US, with several hammock cottage industries in attendance to ask questions of and try out their gear. We have several hikes, kayaking trips, workshops, classes, all sorts of delicious delights coming from the largest assemblage of dutch ovens known to man(well at least it seems like it!), and much much more. So mark your calendar for January 16-19, 2015 and prepare to have a great time!

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    welcome from OTP!!!! gwinnett county.....no worries about the eno for backpacking.. i still have my original eno and it has been used plenty..when i started hammocking was a rarity.
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast