Staying dry and warm in the fall

The last couple of nights have been pretty cool after warm days and in the morning stuff outside is dripping wet from dew and fog (not condensation from sweating and breathing). My porch this morning was as wet as if it had rained. Any suggestions for staying dry and warm on these very dewy, cool nights? what kind of gear is best for these conditions?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The short answer is that there is no solution. You can't make is go away, however, use fabrics with a good DWR (durable water repellent) finish. This will cause moisture to bead up, like a waxed car, and not soak into the material.

Plenty of ventilation is usually recommended, but that helps only when the moisture is coming from you. If the environment is foggy, it doesn't really help.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I've been using a DWR underquilt protector with a DWR slide cover top.

Works well. Gets wet on the outside, but stays dry inside. Pull the top up to about my chin. Will add a layer of fleece over the slide cover if temps are in the 20-30* range.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

SnrMoment that setup seems like a 2 piece hammock sock. Is that something you made yourself? It got me thinking that by creating a warmer microclimate inside the hammock you could stay above the dew point and keep the inside dry while the outside gets soaked. It is probably why I can camp in a tent at this time of year and stay dry as long as I don't have anything touching the sides. Maybe it's time to pick up or make a hammock sock or something like yours.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    That's about what it is. Have been using the cover concept for a couple of years now and it does keep your quilts dry. I started using the top cover to be able to pull it up in the early hours of the AM. I live and camp at altitude and katabatic air flow is a daily event. Dew point is not a huge deal here because it's pretty dry, but it still occurs.
    I made a few socks, but didn't like them. The hammock, cover and UQP are my DIY projects. Have the matching tarp made, still have to give it a silicone/mineral spirits bath. Easy stuff to make.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    That's about what it is. Have been using the cover concept for a couple of years now and it does keep your quilts dry. I started using the top cover to be able to pull it up in the early hours of the AM. I live and camp at altitude and katabatic air flow is a daily event. Dew point is not a huge deal here because it's pretty dry, but it still occurs.
    I made a few socks, but didn't like them. The hammock, cover and UQP are my DIY projects. Have the matching tarp made, still have to give it a silicone/mineral spirits bath. Easy stuff to make.
    Thanks. I think I'll start experimenting this weekend.

• + New Posts