Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Question Clark NA: Stock fly vs upgrades vs aftermarket

Howdy all... first of fI'd like to thank the general community at large around this forum for the vast amounts of knowledge and info that I've been able to delve through over the past month or so. This forum has one of the friendliest communities I have ever witnessed on the net!

So I've given myself a deadline of next week to decide on a hammock. I'm down to the Clark, Hennessy and Claytor. In reality, the HH and the Clark NA are the two fore-runners. Obviously, the price difference is huge between these two, but the features of the Clark are very intriguing to me.

My question is this: Is it worth the extra money to upgrade from the standard tarp to one of the larger options, the XL ($20) or RX-200 ($40)? How well do they work? How much extra space would they provide?
    -OR- would it be a better idea to go with the "No Fly" option (subtract $50!) and buy a 3rd party tarp, such as a MacCat or similar?

It's important to me to have a larger tarp for setting up an awning in rain, etc. Having never seen any of these things with my own eyes, I have no idea how the upgrade Clark options compare to the standard item or the aftermarket options.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience with me (and all the other new people who post here so frequently!). It's greatly appreciated!

I hope to be taking a hammock instead of a tent on my trip up to Rock Island and Peninsula State Park (WI) in late August.

sir_n0thing

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    I just spent the past few weeks researching & debating these very same issues. I almost bought the NA, then the NX200 (actually I got to the last stage of buying on their website 3-4 times,... just one more mouse click!).

I finally decided on Clark's newest offering the NX250 for a number of reasons... one big reason was the new larger (unattached, catenary cut tarp)... I figured that for what it would cost to get a larger tarp w/ the caternary cut it would cost me the same or more than buying the NA or NX200 & one of these kind of tarps. And with the Clark tarp the velcro attachments for "storm mode" are standard. The after market tarps would not have those velcro strips... Another deciding factor was that the NX250 is supposed to "feel" much larger (wider w/ more elbow/shoulder room). I read in a few reviews (one from here & one on another forum) that the NA & NX200 configuration conformed rather snugly & I thought that I wanted more room as far as width. Even though my physical build fit within the recommendations for the standard NA or NX150 I chose larger just to give myself additional room...

From what I looked at on the various websites Clark's newest design IMO fits the bill on many levels...

Now,... I won't be sure until next Thursday (promised delivery date) whether I'm right but from everything I've read & heard I should be pleased by my decision...
    Last edited by Kankujoe; 08-06-2009 at 01:10.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    I just spent the past few weeks researching & debating these very same issues. I almost bought the NA, then the NX200 (actually I got to the last stage of buying on their website 3-4 times,... just one more mouse click!).

I finally decided on Clark's newest offering the NX250 for a number of reasons... one big reason was the new larger (unattached, catenary cut tarp)... I figured that for what it would cost to get a larger tarp w/ the caternary cut it would cost me the same or more than buying the NA or NX200 & one of these kind of tarps. And with the Clark tarp the velcro attachments for "storm mode" are standard. The after market tarps would not have those velcro strips... Another deciding factor was that the NX250 is supposed to "feel" much larger (wider w/ more elbow/shoulder room). I read in a few reviews (one from here & one on another forum) that the NA & NX200 configuration conformed rather snugly & I thought that I wanted more room as far as width. Even though my physical build fit within the recommendations for the standard NA or NX150 I chose larger just to give myself additional room...

From what I looked at on the various websites Clark's newest design IMO fits the bill on many levels...

Now,... I won't be sure until next Thursday (promised delivery date) whether I'm right but from everything I've read & heard I should be pleased by my decision...
    I'm excited to hear your review. I would love to (and hopefully someday can) try out the Clark series of hammocks. I go to Utah to visit family from time-to-time and will stop by the Clark factory to try a few of their hammocks...someday

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    This is my own personal opinion. I'd get the Clark without a tarp. I had the XL with my Camo NA, and ditched it because 1.) it ripped and 2.) I felt it limited my pitching options. Coverage was only slightly better than the standard tarp also, IMO.

I decided to go with a Campmor Versatile 10X10 tarp. It's reasonably priced and has some key features I was looking for...mainly:
    --1.9 oz. coated rip-stop nylon (I'm not a huge fan of sil-nylon stuff...don't shoot me!)
    --tie downs vs. grommets
    --square size for more versatility in pitching options with and without the hammock

Coverage is great for storms, and it can be set up independantly from the hammock without any issues. If it's storming, the tarp gets pitched first, and then the hammock underneath keeping everything dry. If I'm in an area where hanging is not possible, the tarp can still be used as a shelter in conjunction with my hiking poles and the clark set up as a ground bivvy.

I only wish it was offered in a 12X12 size, and a bit more of a natural/neutral color...even a camo option would be nice (to match my camo NA). Their green color works decently here in South Florida, but I've always favored gear with a little more natural tones/shades.

I don't have any experience with either the HH or the Claytor, so I can't help you there.

HTH!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    the HH and the Clark NA are the two fore-runners. Obviously, the price difference is huge between these two, but the features of the Clark are very intriguing to me.

My question is this: Is it worth the extra money to upgrade from the standard tarp to one of the larger options, the XL ($20) or RX-200 ($40)? How well do they work? How much extra space would they provide?
    -OR- would it be a better idea to go with the "No Fly" option (subtract $50!) and buy a 3rd party tarp, such as a MacCat or similar?

It's important to me to have a larger tarp for setting up an awning in rain, etc. Having never seen any of these things with my own eyes, I have no idea how the upgrade Clark options compare to the standard item or the aftermarket options.
    I upgraded to the XL. It's a little bit wider than the reg tarp. This works VERY well in the rain. Only if it's truly storming will I close down both ends and do the "taco" thing. Sometimes I've had to close one end but not the other. Usually in a normal type of rain, I'll have the sides staked way out (or have my trekking poles on one side to lift that side of the tarp higher) so I can sit under the tarp and in my hammock. If you've also tied the hammock low, you can do all your cooking and still be sitting in your hammock. (this can be also done with a lot of hammocks but I don't think you can in the HH because of that bottom entry) I've also got my tarp in a seperate sack so I can put it up first when in bad weather. If you're truly concerned, just upgrade to the largest tarp you can get with the Clark.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the info! At this time I'm strongly leaning towards a Clark over the Hennessy.... even got the wife's blessing on spending the extra $$$ for a Clark. All that's left is to decide on what to do about the fly/tarp! I'm thinking about going with a Guide Gear or similar for the time being (less $$$) and hopefully upgrading to a MacCat or other later on.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I use a Gear Guide too BUT only when camping with my truck nearby. I do not carry it when backpacking because it weights just over 2 lbs. When I am able to use it, Its VERY nice!!! I've been able to tie it up in all sorts of different configuations. And I've added more cords to it and put tarp tensioners on those cords. Sort of hate the color but then again, I've got my truck nearby, so it's not a stealthy sort of camping tarp. If the weight is not an issue for you & you're not blinded by the white color... it's a really great tarp. Works very well for a lot of my scouting trips. And of course you can't beat the price!!! I've been thinking about trying fabric dying colors to see if I could tone it down some.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about the bright colors... I thought they had a camo option, but must be wrong because I can't find it now. Oh well!

Well, thanks to some fine folks here in the forums, looks like I'll be wrapping up a deal on a NX200. For now I'll give the stock tarp a whirl and see how it goes. I'm strongly considering a DIY in the BlackCat style I saw around here, just for the fun of it and to say "I made that thing!". We'll see if I get up the ambition to do it...

@Kankujoe, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of that 250!

-n0thing

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about the bright colors... I thought they had a camo option, but must be wrong because I can't find it now. Oh well!

Well, thanks to some fine folks here in the forums, looks like I'll be wrapping up a deal on a NX200. For now I'll give the stock tarp a whirl and see how it goes. I'm strongly considering a DIY in the BlackCat style I saw around here, just for the fun of it and to say "I made that thing!". We'll see if I get up the ambition to do it...

-n0thing
    It should arrive via UPS next week... the current UPS tracking says that I should have it Monday... 3 days earlier than when Clark promised delivery...

I'll post my initial impressions as soon as I get a chance to put it up and hang in it... I'll then give my impressions after I've had a chance to use it next weekend...

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    They do make the nx-200 in Camo
    when you call them tell them you want camo I do think it's a bit more money though.

-n0thing

• + New Posts