Tarp
    YMG Cirriform
    Insulation
    NeoAir XLite

VIDEO: Snowbank Lake Trail Loop BWCA, Day 2

Here is my video of Day 2 on the Snowbank Lake Trail Loop:

Here are some notes I wrote at the end of our second day;

I woke up around 5:30am I'd guess when my head got a little cold, I put on my down hood and tried to go back to sleep but my alarm went off at 6:00am. I packed up my sleeping bag and pad and went to make sure Rob and Cooper were awake. My alarm must have woke Torry up because he got out of his hammock when I got out of my tent. I wanted to leave camp by 7:00am and I was ready to go by 6:45am. Others enjoyed the morning and were a bit slower than I had hoped and we didn't get out of camp until around 8:00am. We made a really good pace out of camp, dare I say too fast(?) - I was not feeling it this morning, I had only had some bacon jerky and coffee so I think I was calorie bonking. Around 9:30am we stopped for second breakfast which I had some potato chips. I felt much better and the day started warming up, the sun felt so good when the clouds parted. The section we hiked the ranger had told us was extremely tough and while it was the most difficult so far I think we handled it great. We only lost the trail twice and quickly found it within 5 minutes. One of the big benefits of having 4 guys is when we lose the trail we all scurry to find it because when you do, you get to hike in the lead spot. There was some competition today for position in the line and it was somewhat amusing and I couldn't help but be competitive myself. Around mid morning we made it to a really nice overlook. I knew snowbank lake was big but it really isn't until certain vantage points that you really get a sense for just how big it really is - it's a bear of a lake! With the wind whipping we decided to keep moving and went back into a valley. There was some decent ascents and descents today on the trail. Around 11:30 which is kinda early we stopped for lunch at a hiker campsite. I had crackers and Nutella which sounded amazing but in hindsight wasn't all that great. I would've rather had tuna or something. We pressed on and knew the split to do Disappointment Lake was coming up, we decides to keep this a “true” snowbank lake loop trip and not add on the route of the kek that goes around disappointment. We came upon on a great little rushing river that went from snowbank to boot lake. There was a nice bridge across it and we sat, took some pictures and overall just soaked it up. It was one of my favorite spots. The rest of the afternoon was really just miles. We eventually decided to make camp at Parent Lake. We stayed at Becoosin Lake last year so this is a new lake for us. I'm really happy we stayed here, it's a nice lake. Today we hiked 10 miles. The site isn't all that nice, the tent pads kinda stink but oh well. We all went down to the water to get drinking water and do some chores. I soaked my feet and the water was freezing but felt so so good. I pulled them out and put them on the warm rocks and laid back. I was pretty sore after today, but it felt really good. I didn't hurt, but I could feel the work I had put in. Cooper, Rob, and I all just laid back in the late summer sun and closed our eyes and listened to the sounds of the wild for maybe 20 minutes. Rob had commented about how the last time he did that was when we was 10 years old, he seemed so happy and nostalgic about it. I think that's why many of us enjoy the trail and the woods, for the fleeting moments of childhood nostalgia when we didn't have jobs and responsibilities. That was likely my favorite part of the trip so far, mostly because it was so relaxing and I never get to do that. We ate dinner, did camp chores and relaxed. Torry brought in some parmesan cheese and olives and WOW! - it was an amazing combo on the trail. I need to do that next time. We continued to enjoy the fire into the darkness of the evening and went to bed around 9pm. We plan to wake early at 5am tomorrow in hopes of breaking camp by 7am. We have about 7-8 mile tomorrow I'd guess and most of us want to get home in time to have dinner with our families. I have enjoyed journaling about this trip but it has been kinda a pain doing so on my tiny phone keyboard. We have a chance of rain tonight but I hope they're wrong so we don't have to pack up a wet camp.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for part 2. You have some great scenery up there in your neck of the woods. Looking forward to part 3.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the adventure. Looks like a great trip so far. Really liking that harmonica.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Tarp
    YMG Cirriform
    Insulation
    NeoAir XLite
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Thanks for part 2. You have some great scenery up there in your neck of the woods. Looking forward to part 3.

STinGa
    Thanks, we are very blessed in Minnesota with the BWCA!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    Thanks for sharing the adventure. Looks like a great trip so far. Really liking that harmonica.
    Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!

• + New Posts