diy 1.9 oz ripstop
    Tarp
    diy cat-cut hex
    Insulation
    diy ix underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Uq shock cord length

Is there a handy formula for determining the length of shock cord you need for an uq? I will be making an uq that measures 48" x 76", with shock cord in channels sewn around all edges. If the cord were totally slack, I'd need just under 21 feet. But of course the cord won't be slack, so I would need less cord - but how much less? And then I know I'll need to add some cord back in for attaching the quilt to the ridgeline, but again, I'm not sure how much. Any help would be appreciated!

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I am very interested in this as well. I saw Shug's latest video and how high his under quilt starts out. Would love to have some idea before cutting. Thanks for asking.
    11' hammocks made in the USA!
    Don't you wanna GEAUX?
    www.geauxhammockgear.com

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I haven't seen anything, I just messed with mine while it was set up. I bought 25ft of shock cord from dutch which was more that enough to rig everything using only shock cord.

For the head/foot ends, I cinched up the shock cord a bit before I cut and added mini cord locks to allow for adjustability. For the main length, I added the shock cord as a continuous length of cord and rigged it on my hammock. I tied the loose ends in a knot so I could bring in the slack if it was too loose. My underquilt is about 5'7" or so. Hope this helps.
    (o\!/o)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd say take the length of the hammock… Double it, slide the shock cord through the under quilt tie a knot in the end and start from there. You do want the shock cord tight enough to lift the under quilt up in the air like in the video. That should help you get a snug fit with the under quilt.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Agreed, I like mine nice and tight. Snugs and warms my shoulders. I often adjust mine by simply shortening it with an overhand knot and when I get it finally dialed in, I make the final adjustments.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I just bought some cord, two colors, five yards of each color. Threaded the Orange cord through the length, put on orange cord locks. Brown cord through the ends, brown cord lock. The TQ I just finished is brown outer and orange inner, so the shock cords carry the same color scheme over. Plus, I can see the Orange when adjusting.

I always like to error on the side of a bit too much, then cut to fit. Sometimes the oddest things shrink a bit when they are wet, so I always allow for that factor.

I will move my UQ between hammocks so that might require a bit more cordage than the original fitting.

Hammock
    diy 1.9 oz ripstop
    Tarp
    diy cat-cut hex
    Insulation
    diy ix underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks, everyone! I'll play it by ear like you suggest. I also ordered the 25' length of shock cord from Dutchware, so I have plenty to play with.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I'd say take the length of the hammock… Double it, slide the shock cord through the under quilt tie a knot in the end and start from there. You do want the shock cord tight enough to lift the under quilt up in the air like in the video. That should help you get a snug fit with the under quilt.
    Thanks Shug. I was having problems with cold spots till I saw how tight u had the shock cord in your underquilt. After rigging mine to be up that high and setting it with a knot the cold spots were gone.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    For the suspension, I used a 15' piece of 1/8" shock cord on my UQ. Works perfectly to loop over the ends of my 10' hammock (WBBB). Add an additional 18" for gathering each end, and the total length needed would be 18 ft.
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

• + New Posts