Thread: Weight Limits

Weight Limits

Hi everyone, new here... and I have a question:

I have a Hennessy Expedition Deluxe... with a 300lb rating. I'm 6'1", 285 lbs, which means I'm getting really close to the limit of my hammock.

My question is this: Is the weight limit based on the hammock material (210D Oxford Nylon)?
    --- Or ---

Is is based on the suspension components?

Believe me, I'm trying to lose some weight , but at the same time, I'd like to be able to upgrade the weight capabilities if it just means upgrading to some heavier suspension components. It handled me fine last May... in nice weather. But I'd like to start using it for fall/ winter hikes. Which means under quilts & more clothes.

Thanks,

Josh

I have the Explorer and i'm 113kg with about 20gs to spare.
    I've used it with my GF ~50-60kg and the hammock showed no signs of weakness even when we fooled around.

Regarding the materials and the ropes i believe it all has a fair reserve.
    The Material of the expedition is quite same with the explorer but is a bit shorter and has lighter ropes.

Before the HH I used a simple double paracord with TTM hammock and it stood 4 people i.e around 250kg.

The only thing that i believe might brake is the center line (ridgeline) which should be relatively easy to repair if it brakes.
    Tho the length of the line has to be more or less exact.

Thanks for the response. Would it be reasonable to get a Whoopie Sling set just for peace of mind, or should I just wait until something lets go? I always carry extra cordage... so if it lets go on a trip, I'm ready for a quick fix.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Your Hennessy probably has a built in bug net that is suspended by that ridge line. If you hang to tight, it will put too much stress on the ridge line and also the netting; you could tear it. I am not talking about poundage in the hammock. I am talking about how tight you string it up. Because - and there are many, many, many posts and online calculators that give numbers - as you hang tighter than 30 degrees, your 285 could become 400 lbs on the suspension.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    To directly answer your question the advertised weight limit of hammocks likely tends to be associated more with a safe weight bearing capacity of the hammock fabric than the suspension. That's my understanding anyway. The individual suspension components can be rated for considerably more weight than the hammock fabric without a substantial weight or cost penalty.

That said (and as [email protected] indicated) a tight or improper hang can put tremendous and unplanned stresses on all your components. I'd be more concerned with focusing on a proper hang and any wear and tear on the hammock or suspension before I worried about bumping into the weight rating for the hammock if it is in good condition.

Thanks guys.

I bought this hammock & tried it out without doing any research back in May. I'm almost positive I hung it improperly. I don't believe I did any damage (no rips or tears or broken lines), but I just picked a couple trees, set my straps @ about 6'H, and pulled it as tight as I could get it. The Hennessy video I watched before going didn't give any instruction on hang angle. I know I have a lot to learn... but that was the most comfortable I'd ever been camping.

Thanks again for the insight.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by furyous68 View Post
    Thanks guys.

I bought this hammock & tried it out without doing any research back in May. I'm almost positive I hung it improperly. I don't believe I did any damage (no rips or tears or broken lines), but I just picked a couple trees, set my straps @ about 6'H, and pulled it as tight as I could get it. The Hennessy video I watched before going didn't give any instruction on hang angle. I know I have a lot to learn... but that was the most comfortable I'd ever been camping.

Thanks again for the insight.
    Hi furyous,
    Give this calculator a look.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The Hennessy has a ridge line cord, but I don't believe it is as strong as AmSteel. I'm guessing that cord was taking a bit of stress. rule of thumb is the hang shouldn't be so tight that the cord would twang like a guitar string. I seem to hang a little tighter than the 30 degree mark, but that might be because at the house I have a fixed length/height connection. Too much angle and the hammock is on the ground.

Your ridge cord can be snug, but I wouldn't make it "...as tight as I can get it."

• + New Posts