Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Whoopie and continuous loop - whose on first?

I seem to keep flip flopping on how I attach my suspension. I got a set of whoopie slings with hooks from Dutch, as well as continuous loops. Attached the loops to the hammock and the loop end of the whoopie to the tree straps. I think this is what Dutch suggests. The hook is close to the hammock and can act as a water dripper (if it ever rains in SoCal drought-land). Problem I have is when the tree straps are high it's hard to adjust the whoopie.

Messing with a new hammock stand I needed a short suspension, and thought it might help to switch this around, so I took the fixed loop end of the whoopie and ran it twice through the channel and larks headed it on. The adjuster is now nice and low and the hook attaches to the continuous loop on the stand - or the continuous loop on a tree strap. I think this is probably the lightest. I don't need a toggle or biner on the other end, and the whoopie is always with the hammock. Not as easy, however, to install bugnet or ridgeline after the fact.

I'm also intrigued by the method xtrekker used here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nU2...ature=youtu.be, although I currently have a whoopie ridgeline - still trying to dial that in.

Maybe it's like coke and pepsi, ford and chevy, etc and etc? If anyone has a case for THE BEST way to attach a whoopie to a gathered end hammock, let me know. I have a new Dutch Argon hammock still in it's USPS envelope calling me to hang tomorrow.

thanks in advance,
    Slbear

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If it works for you then that's cool. How does the continuous loop attach to the tree straps? If you are not using a biner or toggle then how do you adjust the tree strap length?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have an atlas strap with several loops sewn in, so I didn't even think about the straight length strap Shows what I know. Seems like I need that loop to use the dutch hooks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You don't need the continuous loop. It's good to have to easily change suspensions or even to put directly on the webbing for short distance trees but you can just leave the whoopies and tie a small length of cotton shoe lace or similar to act as a drip stop. The adjustable tail can also help with dripping. Just a thought.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    After rain followed a CRL tarp suspension under the tarp, Derek made a more thorough study of water flow and found that in more intense rain, the flow can "jump" various hardware - like hooks and buckles. So he advocated the "retro", simply shoestring drip. If you have Atlas straps, why not be a carabiner at each end and be done with it? I either use a continuous loop or dog bone through the channel, usually twice, and try to come out about 5 to 6 inches from the end of the hammock where I put an aluminum ring. The ring acts as a dip shield and I can easily switch out various suspension systems attached to the ring. If I want to put a bug net on or a SRL, if I'm using atlas straps, it is easy to unclip the carbine, slide on the net or ridge line loop, and re-clip.

By having a continuous loop at the hammock end, and Atlas Straps, and whoopie slings ... your suspension might be having and identity crisis

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have cont. loops on many of my hammocks. Handy to unhook just the hammock if having a gathering under your tarp in the rain. I go hammock...cont loop...dutch biner....whoopie sling......tree strap with marlinspike knot/toggle.
    No best in all of this....just your own favorite method.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    After rain followed a CRL tarp suspension under the tarp, Derek made a more thorough study of water flow and found that in more intense rain, the flow can "jump" various hardware - like hooks and buckles. So he advocated the "retro", simply shoestring drip. If you have Atlas straps, why not be a carabiner at each end and be done with it? I either use a continuous loop or dog bone through the channel, usually twice, and try to come out about 5 to 6 inches from the end of the hammock where I put an aluminum ring. The ring acts as a dip shield and I can easily switch out various suspension systems attached to the ring. If I want to put a bug net on or a SRL, if I'm using atlas straps, it is easy to unclip the carbine, slide on the net or ridge line loop, and re-clip.

By having a continuous loop at the hammock end, and Atlas Straps, and whoopie slings ... your suspension might be having and identity crisis
    One night hang on Palomar Mountain Saturday - I was thinking about this comment of my suspension's identity crisis . A few things started to gel.

My son just got a HH Expedition - and with him joining scouts I need to simplify that ASAP, since he will be expected to setup without good ol' dad. I'm planning to replace the stock cord with a whoopie sling on the hammock then to a carabiner. I'll give him the Atlas straps for starters and that way he'll have two ways to adjust if necessary. Since the bug net is built-in he shouldn't have to unhook anything until he packs up. It's not the lightest setup, but easy with no knots required. He can learn knots as time goes on without risking his pride on his first trek.

For my new Dutch Argon hammock, I'm going to start with the continuous loop on the hammock as several suggested, and keep my Dutch hook whoopies so I can "unhook" close to the hammock. I have a separate fronkey style bugnet, and I'm always setting up first and adding the bugnet after I'm happy with the hang. For car camping I'll probably stick with a standard biner to the tree straps, or eventually get a toggle or light biner for backpacking. I have some raw 1" red strapping, that I need to sew loops onto, or maybe just use the wide straps that came with my son's HH.

Thanks everyone for the help. I thought there would be more adamant opinons, but I guess suspensions aren't as polarizing as some other topics here.

Slbear

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Let's see if I can do this without the spellchecker - that doesn't like the word carabiner - changing my words .... If you are going to take off the original line, why not replace it with a dog bone or continuous loop to a ring. Then it is easy to attach whatever you want to the ring. You can keep the whoopie slings on the ring and still use the ring and biner to the Altas Straps. Or ... put two rings (per end) at the end of the hammock. Then you can run the line (fixed to the tree by your favorite method) to the hammock and lock it with the double rings. And you can still use one or both rings with the whoopie sling or carabiner. The ring, if close to the hammock (under the tarp) also acts as a drip guard.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've noticed the Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension to be hard to adjust when the straps are high on the tree, because sometimes the tension on the adjustable bury gets too tight. This would be true of any whoopie sling suspension, not just one with a Dutch Whoopie Hook.

However, I carry continuous loops to add to the length of the suspension, which gives me more adjustability. When in doubt, I add length.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I really like using the rings.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts