Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wrestling the Alligator

First time poster, long time lurker.

I've learned a lot from this forum and wanted to first thank you for helping me find a more comfortable way to sleep while camping.

My wife and I recently completed our first kayak camping trip with HH hammocks. All in all I would call it a great success and a lot of fun. We had a few issues, but really just a few that we still need your help on.

Hammocks? For me I got a HH deluxe and my wife got an HH asym. We already had BA bags and insulated BA pads that slide into the bag sleeves and we wanted to use them.

Before the trip I was able to mod the hammocks to add straps and SMC ring setups following the great information here.

Where we camp--on the water--it can easily get down into the 40's at night. The BA bags and pads have been really comfortable (warm) so we wanted to use these with the hammocks. But we found it is REALLY cumbersome getting into the HH, with the bag and the pad. Hence..."wrestling the alligator" as my wife called it.

Once we got settled, centered, and all zipped up in the hammock it was heavenly. It is just too difficult getting in and all squared away.

Are other hammocks that are not bottom-entry (HH) easier to use a BA bag and BA pad with?

The only other issue was loosening the straps from the SMC rings at take down time. Maybe a biner would make this easier?

Thanks!!

dloop

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice location, swaying in the breeze, waves crashing.....zzzzzzz.
    The pad wrestling for me was solved with a double layer diy hammock. I don't have any experience with the bottom entry hammock. A underquilt might be a better solution vs. the pad?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    yea man, i have a ba pitch pine and ba insulated air core pad as well, in addition i have a wbbb and its really easy for me beacuse of the double layer pad pocket on the black bird. I often use my ba pitch pine with a ridgecrest pad, or sometimes use the air pad inside the back pocket on the bag, either way, its easy with a side entry hammock. sorry bro, dont know any easy ways 2 get into a bottom entry.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Stop wrestling those alligators with 2Q&ZQ's wonderful zipper mods.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    What does the BA stand for as in BA bag ang BA pad? Big Agnes?
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Try insulating the bottom... then switch to using your bags as a quilt or switch to top quilts... problem solved....

Also known as "gator gone".

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I and a number of others are advocates of the HH Super Shelter for bottom side insulation. I haven't wrestled an alligator since and I've been down to single digits.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    +1 for the2Q/ZQ #2 Bugnet zipper mod
    +1 for the HH SuperShelter
    -1 for sleeping bags

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dloop View Post
    First time poster, long time lurker.

I've learned a lot from this forum and wanted to first thank you for helping me find a more comfortable way to sleep while camping.

My wife and I recently completed our first kayak camping trip with HH hammocks. All in all I would call it a great success and a lot of fun. We had a few issues, but really just a few that we still need your help on.

Hammocks? For me I got a HH deluxe and my wife got an HH asym. We already had BA bags and insulated BA pads that slide into the bag sleeves and we wanted to use them.

Before the trip I was able to mod the hammocks to add straps and SMC ring setups following the great information here.

Where we camp--on the water--it can easily get down into the 40's at night. The BA bags and pads have been really comfortable (warm) so we wanted to use these with the hammocks. But we found it is REALLY cumbersome getting into the HH, with the bag and the pad. Hence..."wrestling the alligator" as my wife called it.

Once we got settled, centered, and all zipped up in the hammock it was heavenly. It is just too difficult getting in and all squared away.

Are other hammocks that are not bottom-entry (HH) easier to use a BA bag and BA pad with?

The only other issue was loosening the straps from the SMC rings at take down time. Maybe a biner would make this easier?

Thanks!!

dloop

Like others, I use a BA bag with a pad (REI pad) in my JRB BMBH. It works great. The pad goes in the hammock's pad pocket. The sleeping bag lays in the hammock. I flip the topside backwards (like getting in a bag on the ground) sit down in the middle, pull my feet in and zip the bag up. Your problems stem your bottom entry hammock. Like happycamper said, if you get the zipper mod that should take care of your problem. The BA bag/pad combo keeps you from sliding off your pad at night. It works well...but not with an HH bottom entry
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    What does the BA stand for as in BA bag ang BA pad? Big Agnes?
    yes BA is short for Big Agnes the brand

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    +1 for the2Q/ZQ #2 Bugnet zipper mod
    +1 for the HH SuperShelter