Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Another Noobie...

Hi group!

I've spent the past 2 days reading several threads and would like to say that I think this is a great group. So glad to find you!

We have been avid backpackers for years, but I have finally had it with sleeping on the ground. I just can't get a good nights rest. I can't remember the last time I had a "level" spot for our tent, and even the best pad doesn't keep the pressure points away.

Anyhow, here to learn about hammocks. I, like so many others, would appreciate your thoughts on the products available.

I'm 6'5" and 230 lbs. Not very broad...athletic build. Side sleeper.
    Brother is 6' and 190 lbs. Wide hips... stomach & side sleeper.
    Wife is 5'3", 115 lbs, curvy!! She's OK on her back, but likes it on the side too.
    Finally, my 7 yr old son in 4' and 50 lbs. Well, they are so flexible, he's fine with anything as long as he can stay warm...something to grow into, I guess.

We live in Virginia, so most of our camping is fair weather, some lows getting just below freezing, some highs can get way up there.
    On occasion, we travel north or west and camp in colder conditions.

I want a hammock that is versatile. Something that we can make easy adjustments with. We need constant versatility because of so many rapid weather changes, these being radically increased when we go to NY (once, in July, we started with 80 degrees and the following day, it was snowing with wind gusts at 40!!!).

We almost always deal with bugs.

I don't think that I am interested in UQ. Not setting any records, usually don't hike in snow and can't carry extra bags for my family (including a 7 year old). So, the air pad and space blanket seems a better fit for us.

Cost is not an issue.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to talking with you all.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Good to see another Virginian here -- welcome aboard, HM!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Welcome to the board!!
    Have you had a chance to check out the Hot Springs North Carolina trip??? This would be a fantastic trip for you and family to check out a whole lot of different hammocks. People are real friendly and wil gladly allow you to try their hammocks. Some even bring extras and let you borrow for a night!!! If you've got tents, you could camp right along with us and check out everything during the day time. Might even end up going home with a new or used (the silent auction might have something you want) gear!!!
    If you can't make this, then look into the warbonnet blackbird for you and your brother, a Clark (the reg sized one) for your wife w/an XL tarp. I don't know what to put your son into, someone else will need to advise you there. I hope you're able to make the Hot Springs trip, it wont disappoint.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I don't know what to put your son into, someone else will need to advise you there. I hope you're able to make the Hot Springs trip, it wont disappoint.
    My personal opinion is for kids there is a tradeoff between price and quality. If you KNOW the kids will enjoy and get a lot of use out of the gear then it makes sense to spring for the best. Otherwise, IMO something like the Skeeter Beeter UL would be a good choice IF you are willing to work with the child to get it dialed in. I would suggest adding a permanent ridgeline to the SB as it will make the set up a little more fool proof so the child can do it himself once you get it figured out.

OR.. youu could follow the lead of some other folks who have done DIY for their kids. It all depends on which direction you want to go. I would think a HH scout could also be a good choice for an all in one package for a child.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt(s)
    Images

Hammock Options

Humblemonkey,

Don't rule out the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. It's the only truly lay flat hammock on the market. And you can look at one and try one out just down the road from you. We're located in Yorktown, Virginia - a short hours drive away. Just call before you come (757-643-8908).

Regards,

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My wife prefers the lie of a bridge to the lie of a gathered end. You might be on the big side for a BMB but your wife might really like it. It would be worth the trip somewhere to check it out.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

The BMB looks great, accept the website says it's for 6'2" and up to 225. I exceed both.

Smee, when will there be a long version?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm 6'5" tall, 215 lbs, located in Minnesota (we know about summer bugs!).

After my homework here on the hammock forums and checking elsewhere, I queued up for a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock and MacCat Deluxe tarp. I couldn't be happier with my choices!

Now, in all fairness, there are several great choices for hammock/tarp combinations. Human nature being what it is, we like to think OUR choice is the BEST choice!

I was a bit nervous about buying a hammock/tarp that I had never seen, but I trusted the collected wisdom of the members of this forum. I'm glad I did! The hammock forum community is blessed with some seriously nice folks who are very welcoming to newcomers. We share all sorts of ideas and opinions about the latest gadget (Dutch Clips!!!) or tips (Whoopie Slings!!). Welcome! You'll fit right in!!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Thanks everyone! That Hot Springs hang out sounds like fun. We may just do that.

The Clark caught my eye because it looks like a good, complete package. I plan to lay an air mattress with space blanket underneath for cold nights.

Does the blackbird work well with that setup? Does it have a "weather shield?"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    There's also the MAHHA Hang in Nov. That's about a 3 hour drive for you to Burkittsville, MD.

The Jacks will be there and they bring great stuff to look at and you get all their expert advice. Dutch comes and makes us all drool with his new hammock/pack designs and gadgets. And that's OK cuz sometimes he makes pancakes! Plus all the kids and dogs and Sat. night potluck. Fantastic time.

Know that you are invited.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast