Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DH FreeBird, ENO SN
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hammock With Built In Bug Net

I recently purchased an ENO DoubleNest and recently returned an ENO DoubleNest. The hammock was just way to wide for me and the extra fabric was just annoying.

I am looking to get a hammock and have recently looked at a few that have built in bug nets that can be zipped up when you want it, or unzipped and stashed in a bag at the end of the hammock. I was wondering if there was any advantages/disadvantages to a hammock like this, or a hammock like the ENO that requires a separate bug sock to add if you want to get away from those pesky skeeters. An example would be the Dream Hammock Freebird or Roaming Gnome.

I did not know if there were reasons to choose one over the other.
    MY BLOG
    www.thesilentpursuit.com

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Most people feel more secure from mosquitoes with a zipper. I'm not one of those people - I prefer bottom-entry bugnets because I like a quick escape. I swing my feet out of the hammock and they're on the ground - no fumbling trying to find a zipper.

Hammocks with integrated bugnets are way more popular than independent bugnets. However, one of the advantages of the independent bugnet is that you can leave it at home.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Here's a thread on this topic - as you'll see, people loves them some zippers!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...egrated+bugnet
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I too like a bottom entry bugnet. I can leave the hammock and bugnet without making any noise from zippers or hook/loop.
    The bugnet is on right now, but, when gets cold, I leave it in the bishop bag. I can't bring myself to leave it at home. I'm afraid to lose it.

Some others like the bugnet attached because it makes them feel better that it keeps their quilts and such from falling out of the hammock.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

My experience is not extensive but I'll offer it as a work in progress.

I've got the Hennessey Expedition with bottom entry. The HH Eped has the permanently attached bugnet. Couple that with the bottom entry and I absolutely love the escape from the skeeters on warm summer camping nights. It's a deceptively simple and elegant solution in that there's only one way into or out of the hammock: a velcro slot that closes automagically when you lean back into the hammock and lift your feet. No zipper fumbling, snagging, etc.

Having said all that, though, I admit that I am hankering for the 2QZQ modification that will allow me to unzip the net and fold it out of the way. I think in colder non-buggy weather, I'll like that. If/when I get the mod done, I'll keep the velcro entrance to have the best of both worlds. I can top load in the cold weather when I have more insulation with which to deal. I can slip in the bottom during warm weather like I've gotten accustomed to doing and just leave the net in place.

I'm also about to pull the trigger on another hammock, this time one without a bug net, because I want to experiement and play with different (proably DIY) options.

Oh, and you didn't mention how big you are. For reference, I'm 5'9" about 155 lbs and the HH Eped seems to fit me just fine.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I own a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe, bottom entry, with the 2QZQ #4 mod that allows you to completely unzip the bug net and roll it up into a peak bag at one end. I deliberately did NOT have the bottom entry sewn shut for exactly the reasons that Silvrsufr mentioned above.

I have had the mod for about 2 years now, and had the hammock for about a year before I had it done.

I would say that in all that time, I've only completely put the bug net away maybe twice. At least one of those times was during the day when there was a bit of breeze and no bugs...so it was nice to have it removed then.

Other than that...I pretty much tend to leave the bug net out year round. I only occasionally use the bottom entry...for either the quick entry to avoid letting the mosquitos in with me, or if it's storming cats and dogs and the sides of my tarp are hanging right down next to the hammock, and I don't want to brush up against them when getting into the hammock.

I use the net during the spring/summer for the obvious reasons...keep the bugs out.

I use the net during late fall/winter for less obvious reasons...because it does tend to block just a bit more breeze, and it helps create a 'micro climate' that is slightly warmer than outside.

Personally, I've had very little issues with condensation inside the net during the cold/extreme cold. I've also found that without the net, I've had top quilts and pillows both exit from the hammock on me in the middle of the night as I am a very restless sleeper. With the net on...everything stays in the hammock.

So the mod to have it be able to roll up into the peak bag...not as useful for me as I'd thought it would be.

Now...one thing about the zipper vs bottom entry.

The tremendously huge advantage that the zipper has...is the ability to reach in and out of your hammock with ease. I use my camp chair next to my hammock as a night table...and can easily reach in and out. It makes adjusting your underquilt in the middle of the night much easier as well, if needed. It's also nice to have someone be able to hand you something you forgot without having to be a contortionist to reach down to your feet to get it from them.

I've learned that there is no 'one true way'. What works for me, others may find annoying. And...vice versa.

Find what works best for you. Go to a 'hang' in your area...check out everyone's setup. Great way to learn things without spending a ton of money.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    It doesn't make any difference to me. I have a HHDJ with a zippered net, a Buginator bottom entry and a HUG half net.

Just keep the dang bugs off me.

Hammock
    DH FreeBird, ENO SN
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the responses! I have been reading the other thread......a lot of good points....guess I just need to try some out!
    MY BLOG
    www.thesilentpursuit.com

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Both styles have their advantages.

A no-net hammock with bug sock would suit you if:

• you want to use one hammock year round and would like to leave the bug net at home sometimes. This means that you will save quite a bit of weight when removing the bug net. Depending on the bug net, you might have a slight weight penalty over an integrated hammock when you take both hammock and bug net. This is not the case when you use a partial bug net or an UL design.
    • you want to mix and match (hammock from one vendor, bug net from another).
    • you have issues with integrated bug nets, like e.g. claustrophobia.
    • you need more air (in my experience, integrated hammocks tend to be a bit more stuffy than bug socks).
    • you want 360° bug protection. If you sleep without underquilt or pad, bugs might bite through the hammock fabric - even if it is double layered. Of course Permethrin could take care of that problem, too.
    • you want better views (the hammock fabric won't be in the way).
    • you use an underquilt and want/need to adjust it without leaving the hammock.
    • you have problems with the integrated bug net putting pressure on your head/face/feet where you don't want it - the bug sock will simply move.

An integrated hammock would suit you if:

• you want a full bug net but still go as light as possible.
    • your feet tend to go over the edge of the hammock. The integrated bug net keeps everything (feet, quilt, pillow, head, ...) in the hammock.
    • you use your bug net 99% of the time anyways.
    • you have a dedicated winter / no-net hammock.
    • you want more privacy: integrated bug nets usually pull the hammock fabric higher and "hide" the occupant to some degree from curious glances (probably not an issue when you only do backcountry hanging).
    • you like zippers and want to be able to use them one-handedly (even if your bug sock has a zipper, you'll need two hands to open and close it).

Of course there's also the option of getting an integrated hammock that allows to zip off the bug net completely, like the WB XLC or the DH ThunderBird. Since half of the zipper stays on the topless hammock, it will still weigh a bit more than a net-less hammock, though.

Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5HY...THXRlhwLawbzSw

OP, if you just want an inexpensive "starter" bug net hammock to try, my wife and I found this one at Academy Sports for less than $50. We did this review a while back. Be aware that it is not near the strength/quality of some of the previously mentioned hammocks, but it is a lot of bang for the buck. My wife has always loved her Eno double, but now uses this one for warm weather. She's only used it on a couple of outings, so I can't attest to durability, long term. She loves it. I don't because it forces you to lay straight, banana style, like an Eno. To each his/her own.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast