One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti

Tarp to ridge line hardware

Since I've switched my tarp's continuous ridge line from being under the tarp to being above I'm having issues with my prussics or Klemheists not being sufficient to hold my tarp in place. I would like to keep the ridge line above the tarp as it work better that way with the external pole mods. I'm trying to figure out what my hardware options are for attaching the tarp to the ridge line. Right now I have figure 9s on there, but they won't hang onto the tarp when there's no tension on the line. I know about the Dutch Stinger and Tato tarp connecters. Are there any options that I'm missing? I'm not a gram counter but would like to keep things on the light side.

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I am using little "S" biners from the building supply, Home Depot. Metal not plastic. So far they have held up. They might break in high winds but are holding in moderate breeze.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i use both prussics and tato connectors, depending on which tarp I use, both work well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I use UCR's. They hold better than prussics for me. Instead of the plastic hook shown in the picture I now use the hardware store "S" hooks. Thinking about changing them to the small Dutch hooks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Prussics and mini biners from DIY Gear. No problem with over or under the ridge line.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11 ft.
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Since I've switched my tarp's continuous ridge line from being under the tarp to being above I'm having issues with my prussics or Klemheists not being sufficient to hold my tarp in place. I would like to keep the ridge line above the tarp as it work better that way with the external pole mods. I'm trying to figure out what my hardware options are for attaching the tarp to the ridge line. Right now I have figure 9s on there, but they won't hang onto the tarp when there's no tension on the line. I know about the Dutch Stinger and Tato tarp connecters. Are there any options that I'm missing? I'm not a gram counter but would like to keep things on the light side.
    Dutch makes a continuous ridge line with one of his little dutch hooks at one end and a fly at the other-- thats what I used to use. Now I use separate ties (no CRL) and stingers. Works brilliant!
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Any Day Above Ground . . .

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Since I've switched my tarp's continuous ridge line from being under the tarp to being above I'm having issues with my prussics or Klemheists not being sufficient to hold my tarp in place.
    Why do you think the prusiks or klemheists aren't holding your tarp in place. Coating isn't worn off the line? Not enough wraps?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Why do you think the prusiks or klemheists aren't holding your tarp in place. Coating isn't worn off the line? Not enough wraps?
    That's a good question. I'm using soft shackles, so the line is doubled, and I've tried tying and retying the knots. There are probably 8 wraps or so. I've tried moving the knot back and forth a bit to ware the coating off the lines. I also wonder if the tarp coming down off the line lessens the lock on the knot. When the wind hits the tarp it seems to pull more towards the 90° than the 0°. When the ridge line is under the tarp the knots don't seem to have to deal with nearly as much force as the line is taking it directly instead of indirectly. My brain is a little fried at the moment, so hopefully that made sense.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Second on adding an extra wrap or 2.

Once you get that part done (that's the hard part with over-the-tarp CLR) the hardware should be strong enough to hold strong wind hitting broadside to your sail. That's 1 reason why I like under-the-tarp CLR.

I would recommend Dutch biner or such that's strong. I had used keyrings that are light and strong, but started rusting after 2 years. Now I use #1 Sbiner, but, I don't think that's strong enough for your setup with a good wind.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    That's a good question. I'm using soft shackles, so the line is doubled, and I've tried tying and retying the knots. There are probably 8 wraps or so. I've tried moving the knot back and forth a bit to ware the coating off the lines. I also wonder if the tarp coming down off the line lessens the lock on the knot. When the wind hits the tarp it seems to pull more towards the 90° than the 0°. When the ridge line is under the tarp the knots don't seem to have to deal with nearly as much force as the line is taking it directly instead of indirectly. My brain is a little fried at the moment, so hopefully that made sense.
    You replied before I finished my thought with the extra wrap or 2.

You may want to make a loop with a double fisherman's knot to use as the Klemheist or prussik knot since it would be thinner.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast