Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images

I said "Don't touch that tarp!"

Remember that phrase regarding the top of the tent when you were a kid? The problem being that if you touched it, there would be a rain drip to start where you touched it.

What was the material and why was it a problem? It wasn't silicone impregnated nylon, right? Was it the urethane stuff?

Jbo

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbo_c View Post
    Remember that phrase regarding the top of the tent when you were a kid? The problem being that if you touched it, there would be a rain drip to start where you touched it.

What was the material and why was it a problem? It wasn't silicone impregnated nylon, right? Was it the urethane stuff?

Jbo
    if I remember right...ours was canvas
    oh a guess, touching it would give the water someplace to wick through
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Totally cotton canvas... I'm showing my age. Try putting three kids in a canvas tent and tell them "don't touch the sides...." What a nightmare.

PU coated would not do that at all.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    From yet another OLD guy, Canvas material. Waterproof(Ish) until one of us kids touched it. Then dad got mad & made us sleep under the drip.

We called that "Fun".
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    From yet another OLD guy, Canvas material. Waterproof(Ish) until one of us kids touched it. Then dad got mad & made us sleep under the drip.

We called that "Fun".
    The cotton canvas swelled when it got wet sealing the pores in the fabric. When touched, the surface tension at that point was broken. It was kind of like a vampire. Can't enter until it's invited. Touching the wall was the invitation.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby

That was me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Totally cotton canvas... I'm showing my age. Try putting three kids in a canvas tent and tell them "don't touch the sides...." What a nightmare.

PU coated would not do that at all.
    LOL!!! I laughed so hard when I read this. I was that kid. Time frame, 1974 or so. I was 13. Boy Scout summer camp at Stokes State Forest in NJ. My dad was helping out supervising in camp and was bunking with me and two other scouts. Raining hard one evening, as we were retiring for the night. My dad instructed me not to touch the wall of the tent. It was darn too tempting. I touched it!! Just couldn't listen, I guess. My finger then made a great picture of a racecar in the moisture coming through the canvas of the tent. I woke up with a soaked sleeping bag. When I woke up I thought I had peed the bag. Dad was not happy!

No wonder I never made it past First Class in scout rank.

SW
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    When I was a kid and my family traveled it was allways with a tent. I think that it was an old army tent. It was white about ten by twelve with two foot high side walls. Pole at each end of the tent no floor. I remember some vacations of two weeks in length that the tent never got dry. Rolled up wet it must of been fifty pounds. Dad would put the Coleman stove in the tent to try to dry it. Steam would come of of it on the outside.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    boy scout camps still use the canvas style tents on wooden platforms with i think steel but maybe aluminum pols to make a frame (imagine packing one o0f though up *shivers*) you tried not to touch them. Usually you were fine because the one night that it rained was the night that you did wilderness survival so all your gear stayed dry in the tent with no one to touch the fabric above it while you and your cloths got soaked in mud.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    I am going to show my age here...in scouts, we used Army surplus 2 piece pup tents which BUTTONED together along the ridgeline. Even at age 11, I couldn't figure out what kind of magic would keep the water out there, let alone there was not enough room in them for 2 boys not to touch the tent. This was when the pack frames were wood and metal. By the time I had made it into the Senior patrol, we had introduced (that being us boys, not the leaders) plastic tarps for tents. Once the senior patrol (the Aces, troop 700) were camping drier than the leaders, the conversion for the whole troop came pretty quickly...

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    I still have my little canvas springbar tent. My parents got it for me when I was 13. I remember this one time it was pouring buckets outside the tent and I wanted to see if it really would leak through. I stuck my finger up and touched the tent ceiling above my head. I spent the rest of the night squished to one side of the tent to avoid being water-boarded.

The tent still looks the same as the day I got it. Only difference is I have silicone sealed the roof.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast