Sea to Summit - Mosquito Box Single

I was at my local Dicks Sporting Goods yesterday and noticed that several Sea to Summit items were on clearance. The Mosquito Box Single was priced at $24, so I picked it up, thinking maybe, with a little ingenuity, I'd be able to make it work with a hammock.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Or, any thoughts in general on how I might use it? Link to the product is here: http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/120

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I do. I have one Sea-to-Summit and one Coghlan's. The S-to-S is smaller and packs smaller. Both work very well at keeping bugs out.

I treat them like Fronkey style netting, and just drape them over the RL. I connect the two pull outs from each end to the hammock suspension with a micro carabiner. There's a ton of extra netting, but since it's hanging around the outside of my hammock, it's never in my face. You can even find them as low as $10, making them a great low cost alternative to the "real" hammock nets.

The downsides: they tend to be heavier and/or pack down larger. They can also, since they don't have a central RL like the hammock, tend to flop off one side, dragging on the ground, or even leaving a gap on the other side. This only happened when I was careless, though.

I now own a HUG, SLD Nexus net, and a BIAS Buginator. The Nexus is my net of choice. Easiest to attach, easiest in and out, and no gaps for bugs to get in.

With all that said, the box shaped nets got me started, are very inexpensive, and we still use them when we have more folks hanging with us than we have real hammock nets.

I'd search the webs and see if you can beat $24, though.

Wow. Got it out of the stuff sac today....it is enormous. I will be taking it back. Thanks for the suggestions. Although, I can't find it on sale anywhere on line. From what I have seen, $24 is by far the cheapest out there right.

• + New Posts