11' Argon gathered end
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Duck down VS goose down

How does duck down compare to goose down?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I have duck down tq's and goose uq's and i think the duck is alittle denser, it took more to get the same result as goose and my duck down has a more powerful smell to it after being in the tote all summer

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    If you do a search on this subject, there is no difference. I have used both, and, have experienced only a vast difference in price. Wish I could find some more.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    ...Wish I could find some more.
    http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products...0-fp-duck-down

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    down is down. And high quality down is measured by fill power; a higher number means less is needed to fill a certain volume. So 4 oz 800 FP would fill a standard size quilt (around 44"x72") but it would take 4.5 oz of 700 FP, regardless of what bird it came from. Geese, however, are larger birds so it's more likely they yield higher fill power down.

as far as the price discrepancy, I believe Goose Down is more expensive than Duck Down simply because marketers have made it seem more desirable, so the demand is higher, and the supply is smaller.

White down is also more desirable because it looks "cleaner"; when your shell is a white duvet, white down won't cause dark spots. but with outdoor gear, often times the shell color is dark and the color of the down is irrelevant.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Fillpower is fillpower. It is easier to find larger down clusters (ie higher fillpower) from larger waterfowl. Small ducks just don't have large clusters. For that reason high fillpower down is more likely to be goose down, and that leads to a perception that goose down is better than duck down. Statistically speaking it is true, but small clustered goose down from a gosling of a smaller goose breed could have a lower fillpower than large clustered down from an adult duck from a larger breed of duck, and in that case the duck down would be better.

In the modern age of standardized fillpower testing methodologies, just trust the number.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Hum...bird Pelican
    Insulation
    0-Wooki 20-Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    as far as the price discrepancy, I believe Goose Down is more expensive than Duck Down simply because marketers have made it seem more desirable, so the demand is higher, and the supply is smaller.
    Down is a byproduct of the meat industry. More ducks are consumed than geese worldwide, so duck down is cheaper. It's kind of like the difference in turkey and chicken consumption in the U.S.. Most Americans eat chicken way more often than turkey. Also as someone mentioned geese yield more higher-loft down, so sorting higher quality down from geese is more efficient.

Also someone mentioned the smell of duck. I just received my Hammock Gear Econ Burrow that uses 800 fill duck down. I can't detect any odor from it. My Warbonnet Wooki top quilt made with 850 goose down definitely had an odor when I got it. The smell went away from the Wooki.

I consider myself an expert on down because I read a thesis on it. Seriously.
    Anyone looking for extensive information on down should read this, but be forewarned, you better pack a lunch, it might take a while!
    http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/9268/...al%20edit2.pdf
    Mosquitos suck and the wind blows!

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Sold Out??!!

Anyone know if/who got Marty's connection on his down? (Outdoor Wilderness Logics deceased owner).
    IMHO it was the best I have seen - it wasn't treated with hydrophobic spray and I felt like that actually made a difference. Seemed like high humidity situations the hydrophobic down "trapped" the moisture and in Marty's stuff I didn't seem to have this issue. I have 2 UQ one from OWL and one from UGQ and the one from OWL seemed to perform better in high humidity for me.
    I could be biased though as the OWL quilt was a zero degree and the UGQ was a 20 degree so......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts