WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Olive / Coyote brown fabric under 1.0oz/syd (10D)?

I would like to make a wind sock that is lighter than the commercially available options. So I'm looking for some really light (under 1.0oz/syd) and reasonably wind-proof fabric. Olive would be my first choice, coyote brown (or similar) would be my second choice. Argon 90 or 67 would be perfect, but I don't like the brown and green - I feel they're too bright and would stand out more than I'd like. I also don't want camo. Anybody know of other options?

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    You can get m50 in green. Isn't quite as bright as argon hunter green. http://thru-hiker.com/materials/breathable.php

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks, I'll try to get a sample.

Any more suggestions, please keep them coming!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Both the M50 and Argon browns are more stealthy in person than they look on the websites. See if you can get a cheap sample to check if they'll work before writing them off completely.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Oh, I have a sample of the Argon brown. I simply don't like it. Too brown for my taste. I prefer more greenish/olivish browns. I wish Dutch would do olive, but it seems his favorite color is brown

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Oh, I have a sample of the Argon brown. I simply don't like it. Too brown for my taste. I prefer more greenish/olivish browns. I wish Dutch would do olive, but it seems his favorite color is brown
    Fair enough. I find that both of 'em work pretty well with my overall color scheme (that is, "easy to hide if needs be"), but I could see how that might not be true for everyone.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Asym 11ft
    Tarp
    DIYSilHexTarp 11ft
    Insulation
    FullDIYDownUQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware...
    Images
    wie wäre es mit 1.0 oz HyperD - Olive Drab Ich habe den Eindruck, dass aktuell und allgemein für Artikel/Bestellungen aus Übersee höhere Winterpreise verlangt werden?
    Die Szene hat insgesamt und nach oben gleichgezogen - ein Fall fürs Kar...amt
    Sorry for my bad english

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Have you checked extremtextil.de? They usually have some really light options, although they are often expensive. I've not had a look in a while so I don't know what they have available.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Here's my brown Argon top cover out in it's natural environment.

The hammock is a double coyote 1.0oz pure finish ripstop from DIYgearsupply. I'm sure one of the cheap spray on silicone treatments would help with the wind resistance (that's what I did to my diy wind shirt, and it works great)

-Jon-

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolle View Post
    wie wäre es mit 1.0 oz HyperD - Olive Drab Ich habe den Eindruck, dass aktuell und allgemein für Artikel/Bestellungen aus Übersee höhere Winterpreise verlangt werden?
    Die Szene hat insgesamt und nach oben gleichgezogen - ein Fall fürs Kar...amt
    Ich habe ein paar Meter 1.0oz HyperD und hatte überlegt ob ich es verwende. Was dagegen spricht: 1.0oz sind immer noch recht kräftig und schwer für einen Wind Socken der keinerlei Belastungen ausgesetzt ist. Ein 0.7oz Stoff wäre meiner Meinung nach absolut ausreichend und würde ein paar Gramm sparen. Weiterhin habe ich versucht durch den 1.0oz HyperD-Stoff zu pusten und es ging so gut wie nichts durch. Alle Wind Socken die ich besitze sind aus Stoffen gemacht (vermutlich 1.1oz) die deutlich luftdurchlässiger sind. Ich vermute, dafür gibt es einen guten Grund.

Ich habe keine Ahnung was du mit höheren Winterpreisen meinst. Ich bestelle viel aus den USA, und selbst mit Übersee-Porto, Zoll und EU-Steuer bezahle ich meist weniger als die Hälfte von dem was ich für qualitativ minderwertigere Stoffe in Europa zahlen würde. Abgesehen davon, dass die Angaben in Europa einfach nicht verlässlich für Hängematten-Anwendungen sind. Leider.

Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Have you checked extremtextil.de? They usually have some really light options, although they are often expensive. I've not had a look in a while so I don't know what they have available.
    Yes, I regularly visit that site, hoping that I might get lucky. Their lightest ripstop options are mostly 1.1oz and heavier. If they have light fabrics, they're usually quite narrow (less than the usual 152cm/60"), only come in non-stealthy colors, and are ridiculously expensive. Currently I see only 2 no-name fabrics that are under 1oz - a 0.8oz fabric that is 145cm wide, either red or black for 17,90€/m, or a 0.65oz fabric, 145cm wide, black only for incredible 24,90€/m. Most overseas options come in equal or better colors and are considerably cheaper - even when adding international shipping and customs. I don't understand how that can be, but everytime I go through the options, this is my conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Here's my brown Argon top cover out in it's natural environment.

The hammock is a double coyote 1.0oz pure finish ripstop from DIYgearsupply. I'm sure one of the cheap spray on silicone treatments would help with the wind resistance (that's what I did to my diy wind shirt, and it works great)
    Thanks for the tip. I made a couple of hammocks out of 1.6oz Argon brown. Somebody here on the forum calls their Argon brown hammock their "number 2 hammock". That's exactly what I think, too, when I see it Sorry, I don't want to offend anybody who loves the color - it's just not my cup of tea.

With regards to the DIYgearsupply option; I have a couple of yards of their light (possibly 1.0oz) olive green fabric. Love the color. The wind-resistance seems comparable to my WB winter sock, but 1.0oz still seems pretty heavy to me. After all, the sock has to bear no weight. Treating it with any kind of spray would probably add quite a bit of weight, too. I read that 1.1oz silnylon weighs 1.3oz and more when finished (since they give the pre-treatment weight).

I think I'll probably keep my eyes open on eBay, and also order some green M50 or green Pertex (off Zpacks) and see if I can live with the colors. Maybe Dutch and/or Kyle are going to come out with some exciting new option... Should I ever get to do a long-distance hike, I should probably think about going Cuben. Bit scared about working with such an expensive fabric, though.
    Last edited by hutzelbein; 10-01-2014 at 14:29.

• + New Posts