Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Bulk & weight are the only downsides to the bag. Since you aren't hiking, spend the money on a comfy camp chair.
    What he said.

I prefer a quilt, but I also move via muscle power most of the time...often with moderately severe volume limitations (bike, hike, etc.). So, it makes sense for me to lose weight and bulk where I can. You? Not so much.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I'm basically just repeating what everybody else said, but in a slightly different way.

If money is any concern whatsoever a sleeping bag to top quilt upgrade is probably the LAST thing you should choose to do in order to round out a hammock setup. It is primarily a luxury upgrade for weight savings and pack volume reduction. If you have a decent sleeping bag, don't even consider spending TQ money until you've got bottom insulation sorted out to your satisfaction, a satisfactory tarp, hammock, bug net (if needed), and suspension.

Like others have said, at that point it probably still makes sense to prioritize purchases and upgrades around other camping gear like stoves, cookware, chairs, electronic gizmos, *gasp* tent, etc.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well stated DanglingModifier. That is kind of what I thought. I try to skip the whole entry level thing and go right to what I like the best. So far I'm pretty content with my set up considering I am still a noob. I will probably get an UQ eventually. I didn't think I would really need one because I didn't expect to be hanging when it real cold but I think I am totally being sucked into this. Full fledged addiction. I love my hammock!

ps the next piece of equipment I am looking to purchase is longer straps. I went camping last week and the first location I picked the strap didn't fit around the trunk. I need to get some long straps like the Python staps, Atlas staps etc.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Or get these...

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...xtension_.html

Sold by others under the moniker of Dog Bones.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I think we actually have a consensus! This hardly ever happens. I'm going to mark it on my calendar.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    ps the next piece of equipment I am looking to purchase is longer straps. I went camping last week and the first location I picked the strap didn't fit around the trunk. I need to get some long straps like the Python staps, Atlas staps etc.
    I own a pair of Python straps. They work great and they will last longer than I will, but they are heavier than hell. If you ever want to backpack you'll want something else. If you are only ever going to be car camping they are a solid choice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    I think we actually have a consensus! This hardly ever happens. I'm going to mark it on my calendar.
    And the amazing thing is that the consensus is to NOT buy the new, soft, lighter than air, downy item.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I always liked my sleeping bag and defended it's position vs. a top quilt for nearly 2 years...then...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-words-BIGTIME!
    I agree.. I never cared to upgrade to a TQ.. Then I picked up a burrow in trade ( with the intention of selling it)... I tried it once, and said no way am I selling this!

I don't do a lot of hiking.. At most 4-5 miles in.. And then, only once or twice a year.

Beating the horse, but I agree.. UQ tarp and hammock should come waaaay before TQ.

Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post

Don't mark it on the calander, play the date in the daily numbers lotto!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    So i read everyone's advise and went the opposite direction. lol. I decided to go with a synthetic Over quilt from Arrowhead Equipment. I looked at a lot of nice down quilts but I couldn't rationalize the cost difference for a weight difference that really didn't matter to me. Paying more than $100 to shave like 4 oz wasn't for me, plus I like the idea of the synthetic in the case that the quilt did get wet. So pulled the trigger on a KAQ Owyhee 3 season standard Over quilt. I'll post up a review after a test ride. Should hopefully be here just before the cold weather.
    Yes I know I have a hammock problem.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    We tricked you with reverse psychology!!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast