Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY
    I definitely think that going to a group hang will help give you a better idea as to why different people enjoy certain features over others (as well as a chance to try some of those out for yourself). I'm sure you've noticed by now that hammock folk are very passionate and will be more than happy to go into ridiculous amounts of detail as to why they love their gear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Hang your own hang is the mantra around here.
    What you hang in is related to your interests, likes and dislikes and how much lucre you want to toss around.
    Personally, I don't like 10' hammocks, foot boxes, tie outs and zippers. Most of my gear is DIY, except for quilts, which have put a rather large dent in my lucre stash.
    I have a basic 11 ft hammock, 64" wide, with sewn end channels and Knotty mods. Simple to make - hugely comfortable for me to sleep in. I'm a lightweight at 150# and prefer the 1.1 weight fabrics. This year's creations have been in Marpat camo. Haven't decided on what to do for next year's hammock fashion extravaganza.
    The rest of my rig is DIY modular: tarp, bug net, top covers, underquilt protector, whoopie slings, straps.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    HG/pad and bag
    Suspension
    Straps
    I wondered the same thing. I am also new to the whole hanging thing, and just hurried into buying a double nest. In hindsight I wish I lurked a little more first, but ohh well.
    Chris (Chipper)

It seems like a good time to get lost in the woods for a few days! --www.chipperoutdoors.com-- or ---facebook---

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    You're right. The hammock itself is the simplest and most inexpensive part of the system. I sleep in a piece of fabric 12 feet long that cost me $12. Add to that +/- $25 worth of buckles, straps, dyneema slings, and Zing It line and I'm in the air.

IMHO, Noobs should focus the majority of their "Buy In Budget" on insulation, bug protection, and overhead shelter and spend the least amount of money possible for a hammock of no less than 9 feet in length.

Go cheap on the hammock at first, spend heavy on keeping yourself warm and dry.
    Last edited by sargevining; 09-25-2014 at 21:18.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    You're right. The hammock itself is the simplest and most in expensive part of the system. I sleep in a piece of fabric 12 feet long that cost me $12. Add to that +/- $25 worth of buckles, straps, dyneema slings, and Zing It line and I'm in the air.

IMHO, Noobs should focus the majority of their "Buy In Budget" on insulation, bug protection, and overhead shelter and spend the least amount of money possible for a hammock of no less than 9 feet in length.

Agree completely. Good tarps, suspension and quilts make a simple hammock comfortable. Poor insulation you can be miserable. Especially if you are backpacking with no bailout option.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I made my first hammock....and still use it. I call it Greenbean.
    1.7 rip-stop. Not much to it.
    Really it is what you put in it, under it, over it and where you hang it.
    Where it takes you........go with it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Remember the childhood story of the princess and the pea?

Some folk can feel the pea through many layers of mattresses, some folk, like me, can only tell the difference between the hard, hard ground, and the bliss of swinging between 2 trees.

My first night in a hammock (DIY w/bugnet) was lights out until daybreak. My first, and all the way through to my last, night in a tent (probably a hundred) was tossing and turning for 10 hours.

I can't say which of the cottage, or mainline vendors, has the best hammock, because my DIY has satisfied all my needs and wants for 1800 miles on the AT. To really say which is best, you would have to go to a gathering and try several out, or spend a whole lot of money and buy several and try them out before you would know what fits YOU! the best.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    You're right. The hammock itself is the simplest and most inexpensive part of the system. I sleep in a piece of fabric 12 feet long that cost me $12. Add to that +/- $25 worth of buckles, straps, dyneema slings, and Zing It line and I'm in the air.

amen, Amen, AMEN!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    It's been well said by all already. The biggest part in a hammock is you.

I've been using my DIY first hammock for over 4 years and love it. Same hammock, my wife doesn't like the "feel" and "lay" of it. She would rather get a bridge hammock for her restless leg syndrome.

Go find yourself some of those group hangs and try a few from DIY to top-end of whatever is offered and see what you like.

Before you make or buy your hammock, check your funds for insulation and tarp. A hammock is no fun if your cold and wet.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I made my first hammock....and still use it. I call it Greenbean.
    1.7 rip-stop. Not much to it.
    Really it is what you put in it, under it, over it and where you hang it.
    Where it takes you........go with it.
    Shug
    So I gotta name it... That's way cheaper!! But more time consuming.. hmm. No wonder there's a hammock forum

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast