Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So a backpacker walks into a hammock forum....

The other day I was peacefully lounging in my yard, swaying quite pleasantly swaying in both the breeze and from a couple of adult beverages and I began idly pondering a question which I hope a few of you veterans could weigh in on...
    -What, if any, are the qualitative, substantive differences\advantages of my (anyones) no name 18$ hammock and say a 60-70$ ENO double nest or some such higher-priced device? I'm not asking this rhetorically, I'm genuinely curious. Being new to the hammock game but an experienced backpacker\long distance runner I fully understand the value of things like weight reduction and ease of use. LOVE my new whoopie slings, swapped out steel carabiners for aluminum, I can set my little guy up in about 5-8 mins. It's great. But the hammock itself, I mean as long as its big enough and doesn't rip, what else is there. Keep in mind I'm very new to this (no group hangs to compare setups, only used on the trail\site 9-10 times) so my frame of reference is extremely limited. Top\bottom quilts,tarp setups guy lines etc. etc. totally get why folks obsessively tinker, but in the end isn't the hammock itself just a glorified bedsheet? What am I missing. BTW, I love this forum. The least pretentious, friendliest most helpful I have come across. Anyone who has info on upcoming Nor. California hangs please let me know. Thanks!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Each hammock has its own feel. There are little design features that make a huge difference to some people. The difference between one of those tiny Fiat to a Maserati.

To some members there is no difference between brands of hammocks, to others there is a world of difference. Many of us started with an ENO, then tried something else different and liked it. I need a shallow hammock that I can easily exit from...

It all comes down to personal taste and in some cases needs. Then their is alway the snob value of certain choices.

We are so fortunate to live in countries where we have choices in what we purchase and what we want to sleep in.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Danform View Post
    ... Anyone who has info on upcoming Nor. California hangs please let me know. Thanks!
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t-Oct-3-5-2014

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The type and weight of fabric can affect how it feels against the skin as well the feel of being in it. Less expensive hammocks may not be as well built in terms of stitching or thread quality. You've probably seen in your time that you tend to get what you pay for. It's like comparing backpacks. On the surface they may look the same but the differences become apparent after comparisons and use.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a big fan of simple gathered-end hammocks, but there are people that like additional features:

1) Integrated bugnet
    2) Top covers
    3) Gear shelves
    4) Removeable/storable bugnet and ability to interchange a top cover when seasons change
    5) Bridge hammocks - for side sleepers and stomach sleepers
    6) Insulated hammocks
    7) Hammocks for two - Clark 180 or Flex
    8) footboxes
    9) hammocks that can double as a bivy
    10) double-layer hammocks for easier use with a pad

The list goes on and on. Thankfully, I'm not enticed by such bells and whistles. From a design perspective, I like simple modular approaches to most things, including hammocks. If I need bug protection, I'll get an independent bugnet. If I need insulation, I'll get a TQ/UQ. However, some folks can't resist the multifunction, Swiss-army knife approach to hammocks, and that's fine. If you're not enticed by that approach, that's fine too!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Totally agree. What's a foot box?. Extra insulation?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Totally agree. What's a foot box?. Extra insulation?
    The Warbonnet Blackbird hammock "includes a footbox which allows the user to fully use/extend the hammock fabric in the foot area without restriction from the netting, the result is maximum leg room," according to their website.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What's a foot box?
    A footbox makes all the difference in the world to me. It's basically some extra material around the area where you feet go. Normally (without a footbox) this area can be lifted up a little bit since the hammock is naturally curved on either end. The addition of a footbox lets you lay almost perfectly flat in a hammock which increases comfort for many (including me!).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchwaregear flyz
    I'm one of those guys silvrsurfr is talking about. I live in the deep southeast and having a hammock without an integrated bug net is almost a waste of your money unless you like to donate blood to mosquitoes! So, I have a Blackbird DL 1.0. It's still pretty lightweight, but gets me a bite free night of sleep.
    I'll also say the footbox is a big deal to me. I have my own DIY hammock(s) and they are great for the back yard or a nice nap. But, for a good overnight sleep, I can't beat my BB and the ability to lay almost completely flat.
    Good luck to you!
    JC

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm a big fan of simple gathered-end hammocks, but there are people that like additional features:

1) Integrated bugnet
    2) Top covers
    3) Gear shelves
    4) Removeable/storable bugnet and ability to interchange a top cover when seasons change
    5) Bridge hammocks - for side sleepers and stomach sleepers
    6) Insulated hammocks
    7) Hammocks for two - Clark 180 or Flex
    8) footboxes
    9) hammocks that can double as a bivy
    10) double-layer hammocks for easier use with a pad

The list goes on and on. Thankfully, I'm not enticed by such bells and whistles. From a design perspective, I like simple modular approaches to most things, including hammocks. If I need bug protection, I'll get an independent bugnet. If I need insulation, I'll get a TQ/UQ. However, some folks can't resist the multifunction, Swiss-army knife approach to hammocks, and that's fine. If you're not enticed by that approach, that's fine too!
    This was a well articulated, accurate, and helpful post, that is at the same time informative and encouraging of diverse approaches to a common goal. Coming from SS, that's saying a lot

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with its content.

For example, I personally like integrated bug nets. I know that the modular approach works just as well, but having it attached and zipping in at the end of the night somehow seems 'right' to me. But for those that want the modular approach (or are pathologically afraid of zippers), it works just as well. So I have no interest in a basic, no frills hammock and an add on bug net - I want an all in one (at least when it comes to that). Different strokes for different folks, but neither is 'right' or 'wrong'.

What it comes down to is extra features, and then other features that possibly make the original features more fully featured (say that five times fast). Think of it like cars. All you really need is a mobile vehicle that gets you from point A to point B. But some people like to be able to pick the color. Or the seat fabric. Or want a convertible top for those beautiful sunny days. Some cars have more horsepower, and other cars have the same amount of horsepower, but lighten the frame, widen the wheel base and locate the engine in a slightly different location in order to maximize and more effectively put that horsepower to good use. Same thing goes for hammocks. Every vendor (for the most part) tries to offer something unique, or at least their attempt at a better or more efficient version of what's already been done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast