Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew

Book Review: Hammock Camping by Ed Speer

I am sure a lot of you have read this book, but for those that are not aware I wanted to put up a small review.

Ed's book covers almost all areas of hammock camping, from why to use a hammock to how to build/buy one for yourself. He goes into great detail on where to hang and why. Valuable advice speaking from experience.

Chapters 1 and 2 were informative, but I was already sold on the concept of hammock camping so they reinforced my decision.

The section of the book that I got the most out of was chapter 3 How to Stay Warm. Ed went into details on how to use pads, undercovers and vapor barriers and why you need them.

Chapters 4 and 5 are on the environmental impact of hammocks and safety. Both necessary topics for the noobie and experienced campers.

Chapter 6 covered all aspects of how to build your own Speer Style hammock and will be of more interest to me in the future when I have more time and money to spend on this particular hobby. I am a do it yourself type person, but don't have a correctly functioning sewing machine at the moment.

Chapter 7 covers buying a hammock from a manufacture vs making your own. There is a great deal of information on the makers of the time frame that this book was published (2003). He also covers different styles of hammocks in this section, for example "Portaledge's" carried by rock climbers that stay on the rock face overnight.

The Appendix's do a good job of wrapping the information that is in the book and will serve as a good reminder of things forgotten latter down the road.

In summary, this is a well written easy to read book that is a great primer for getting started or expanding your knowledge about hammock camping. If there is ever a revised edition, I would like to see more attention given to newer materials and to different ways to rig suspension. I would advise buying it, because it took three weeks for my library to get it in using the inter library loan system. They told me that only 3 libraries in the country had a copy and that my copy came from Oshkosh WI.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affliated with or even know Ed Speer or Speer Hammocks, Inc.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverDn View Post
    or even know Ed Speer or Speer Hammocks, Inc.
    Stick around long enough and you will!
    It is an excellent book and should be required reading for folks interested in hammock camping. I have lent my copy out more than a few times and it's one of the few book in my house that I know that exact location of...most of the time.

Thanks for putting this out there to make everyone aware of a good read. I'm also anxiously awaiting volume II.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    I really enjoyed that book a couple of years ago. It was really helpful.

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Thanks for the review...

I got my copy of the book yesterday via Amazon.com... I've been looking through it piece meal, because right now I'm reading through 4 other books... I should get to it next week.

I'm expecting my new Clark hammock to be delivered on Monday so if the weather is not too humid/muggy I expect to camp in my backyard (60 acres of old oak forest) next weekend... I'll read the book and experiment with my new hammock... before I venture out unto the trails...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Now I know why it started slow for me... I'll skip a couple of chapters!

Ed's a good guy. If I had met him sooner, I'd have a Speer III and a Snugfit, instead of a Heresey. Meanwhile, I'm saving my pennies.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverDn View Post
    I am in no way affliated with or even know Ed Speer or Speer Hammocks, Inc.
    That can be easily remedied. Can we say Road Trip? Ed is hosting a hang at Hot Springs, NC in September (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9868). Ed is a great guy and is more than willing to share tips and stories. Plus, you get a chance to hang with a bunch of us knuckleheads.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    Quote Originally Posted by shrek View Post
    That can be easily remedied. Can we say Road Trip? Ed is hosting a hang at Hot Springs, NC in September (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9868). Ed is a great guy and is more than willing to share tips and stories. Plus, you get a chance to hang with a bunch of us knuckleheads.
    Tempting offer but I have already taken my motorcycle around Lake Superior and I have a weekend planned for Bristol Tn in a couple weeks.
    John

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Bristol is not far from Hot Springs... Sept 18.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Bristol is not far from Hot Springs... Sept 18.
    Yeah, but I will be in Bristol August 22. My buddy is giving me a ticket to the nascar race and I have never been before.

So I am riding the motorcycle down there and will find a couple of trees to hang from.

I doubt that I can talk my wife into letting me stay an extra few weeks to go the the Speer outing. Although I wouldn't mind going and meeting everyone.
    John

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    What a great weekend you have planned! The best spectator course in NASCAR, a bike ride to get there, and you'll hang all the way!

Whatcha ridin'?

- MacEntyre
    1973 box stock R75/5
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast