Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Combo Underquilt - Opinions Needed

Here's my idea - I'm thinking about making a thin(ish) underquilt from 1.1 ripstop and one layer of .6" thick Climashield. This should work as a bomber, almost three season underquilt, hopefully getting me into the upper 50's.

I'll then (attempt) to make a differentially baffled down underquilt to combine outside of the above UQ for colder temps. I'm thinking 2 - 2.5" loft should do it.

The thinking is, the thin UQ would always be with the hammock, regardless of the forecast temps. During early spring or late fall, I just need to add the down UQ to my gear list.

Theoretically, the down UQ wouldn't need to be as thick as if it were used alone and it could even be shoulder-to-knee length instead of full length.

Does this idea have any merit? Should I just have separate summer and spring/fall underquilts? Should I just have one, thick, do-it-all down underquilt? I'm still pretty new to this hanging thing, so all opinions or advice welcomed.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Images
    whichever one you'll get the most use out of (your 50deg quilt), i'd make that one out of down and make the supplemental one out of cs instead. having seperate quilts for different seasons is a good option too. and would be lighter than carrying 2 shells.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've made my summer uq with 1/2" climashield/sylicon coated ripstop on both sides. It's worked out fantasticly for spring/summer (fall hasn't got here yet!! but expect to still be using it) Temp rating is to about 50 degrees. Into the 40's and I'm chilly but still alive. Not good below 40.
    I've made my winter uq, down 750 fill, baffles are about 4+ in the center/middle and drop to about 2.5" on the edges/sides. Differental baffles and a really wild pattern that I made up and will be testing out this winter. Should be fine down to about 10 degrees. Wont know till I test it. I only wanted to be able to carry one uq at a time. So I made my two quilts to be at the end of the scales, one rated for pretty hot weather and one rated for pretty cold. For the middle temps(32-55), I'll just carry the winter uq and attach it looser. If the temps are supposed to be above 50, I carry the summer uq. Even if the temps are way hot, I carry the summer uq and just attach it loose or on one side. There's a temp scale that gives you sort of ratings for the fill power of down combined with the height of the baffles. What are the coldest temps that you're thinking you'll camp in.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Jerry W., I like your idea of two quilts, but how about a 1/3rd length down, 2/3rds CS, with a velcro connection. Carry one for the appropiate temps, and combine the two for full length coverage. Or two 1/2 length uq's, with down for the head area and CS at the foot end. Overlap the two quilts, and velcro them together.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    ...What are the coldest temps that you're thinking you'll camp in.
    I probably wouldn't be out if it was below the 30's, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Jerry W., I like your idea of two quilts, but how about a 1/3rd length down, 2/3rds CS, with a velcro connection. Carry one for the appropiate temps, and combine the two for full length coverage. Or two 1/2 length uq's, with down for the head area and CS at the foot end. Overlap the two quilts, and velcro them together.
    Thanks for the idea, that would work for some folks, but I'd rather stick to full length quilts. I made a 3/4 length(and a bit narrow, too) out of some leftover materials I had and I could definitely feel it when either my feet or shoulders migrated outside the boundaries of the quilt. I don't want to have to think about placement when I'm sleep groggy. I'm a cold wuss.

Jerry

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I've done this with the Nested MacKAQ. It works very well.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I've done this with the Nested MacKAQ. It works very well.

- MacEntyre
    Excellent link, great gallery. Thanks!

Jerry

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings

Any condensation?

Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I've made my summer uq with 1/2" climashield/sylicon coated ripstop on both sides.
    TinaLouise,

Do you have any condensation issues with the silnylon shell on your underquilts?

FarStar

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The ability to stack the Nest and No Sniveller (three season set) and add the ORM has been the basis of the JRB Four Season Set for years.... Smee actually like the one of Summer, one three seaso and one winter as than having all the bases covered...Stacking is easy when all your attachment loops align....Plan ahead on the alignment and you'll be fine.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The ability to stack... has been the basis of the JRB Four Season Set for years...
    I did not know that! Well, it's a great idea...

I need to save my pennies, study the JRB site, and get some down. The only thing I have with feathers in it is one pair of booties, which I got at the REI garage sale.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast