Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a comfortable night between 25 and 28 degrees

a couple weeks ago, I went on a quick overnighter with my son and his boyscout troop- I use a sportsmans guide hammock with military poncho liner as an underquilt(inverting the hammock and putting the liner into the bug netting) and a 10 degree mummy bag as an over quilt. A pair of polypro unders and thats it- got down to between 25 and 28 degrees that night and I was comfortable in the set up- is this normal, and how much colder will this set up allow me to go- any info would be appreciated- still relatively new to this hammocking thing- and have been making it up as i go along- thanks to all those who post the valuable info here!!
    Landcruzr

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by landcruzr View Post
    a couple weeks ago, I went on a quick overnighter with my son and his boyscout troop- I use a sportsmans guide hammock with military poncho liner as an underquilt(inverting the hammock and putting the liner into the bug netting) and a 10 degree mummy bag as an over quilt. A pair of polypro unders and thats it- got down to between 25 and 28 degrees that night and I was comfortable in the set up- is this normal, and how much colder will this set up allow me to go- any info would be appreciated- still relatively new to this hammocking thing- and have been making it up as i go along- thanks to all those who post the valuable info here!!
    Landcruzr
    If you got below 30* with only a poncho liner underneath, hats off! I'm a warm sleeper and I couldn't do that! As far as how much lower it'll take you, I think you're in virgin territory here so I guess just keep testing and see what works...and be sure to let us know once you do!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by landcruzr View Post
    Landcruzr
    I would say that is definetely not normal. I would have froze with only a poncho liner as an underquilt. To see how much lower you could go......backyard test.......backyard test........ and some more backyard testing.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Was it a new poncho liner or an older one? I have a new one, and it is a lot lighter and warmer than the old ones. They have a new synthetic in them. With the new synthetic they are actually worth looking into for people wanting a blanket or underquilt. The tie offs on the liner would probably make it pretty easy to attach. I use mine for my blanket in my hammock.

Images
    the poly pros made the diffrence there i think..i use the heavy military ones with a thin cc pad and a 10 degree bag as my cold weather set..and i have been i nthe 30's wit hit..got cool i will admit but it was not uncomfortable

I'm not sure if its a newer one or older one- I'm inclined to believe its newer only because all the stuff I was ever issued was olive drab in color- this one has the sporty woodland camoflauge color, and it does have ties- it is also much warmer than it would appear to be- it is amazing how much warmth is held in that thing- even if you just wrap yourself in it-as blackie said- it was a cool night- but I sleep much more comfortably in the cooler temps than I do in the warm temps-
    Also- I tried a cc pad once- and it slid all over the place and wasnt very comfortable- any secrets to those?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The new ones are pretty spendy b/c they're primaloft, IIRC. They're softer, a bit thicker, and much more compressible than the old style.

The old style is still pretty cheap even when new.

Both styles come in camo.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've seen the new issue ones in a couple of army surplus stores around Ft Bragg, but now that I look online I'm not positive the issue ones are Primaloft...all that's coming up is the Integral Designs poncho liner.

Wiggys poncho liners are $17.50 until they're out of stock. Not primaloft...probably his Lamilite insulation. I have this 35F and 0F Lamilite bags and they're well-made and rugged. Not lightweight b/c they're made for the military, but I've never been cold in them.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 04-16-2007 at 20:39.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    for liners try..ranger joes in columbus ga..also sportmans guide will have them from time to time... cheaper than dirt has some surplus as well...the cc pad i use is a surplus german army shooters pad..cheaper than dirt had them a few days ago for 5 buck or some small amout like that..they fold flat into a square that i slip into my pack as back support...when i put it into the hh..i unfold it then flip the top third down to form a3/4 length pad with double the insulation under my upper body..the pad folds form a natural "V" shape with me laying in the bottom of the "V"..so no matter how much i twist and turn it dosen"t bunch up under me and i have side protection as well..plus the pad is just sticky enough it dosent slide inside the hammock very well so it stays put ..let me see if i can find a link and post some pic's if anyone is interested..

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I haven't really tested the limits of the bags, but like I said I've never been cold in them. Wiggy is VERY confident in its abilities, though...and not shy to tell you about it! One thing is that he sells pilot survival bags vacuum packed. He says that this insulation lofts back to normal even after long term compression. That in itself is noteworthy...but I don't know how it's been tested.

There's lighter stuff on the market but I don't know of anyone who's done a durability test. Like I said, he sells a lot to the military so UL isn't really his first priority. But the insulation isn't really heavy either...the total bag weight includes #5 two-way separating zipper and heavier shell fabric than Mountain Hardware or Montbell bags, for example. And the price on a Wiggys bag isn't bad, either. I wonder why his bivy is completely unbreathable though...I woke up like a swamp when I used it.

I wouldn't have a problem recommending Wiggy's gear...just understand what you're getting. I take his bags when I deploy but not on lightweight hikes.

I'm probably going to get some of his flame retardant undergarments before I go again, too. (He sells them at "pennies over cost, because we're sending our guys over there and we need to give them the best they can afford.") I'll post back about weights and comfort and such...having thermals that won't melt from a fire spark is definitely a bonus for hiking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast