Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Beaufort Wind Scale
    http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/beaufort.html

caution for me is Near Gale
    Strong Gale and I'm stayin home.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by makkan View Post
    I've only lived here since February and our houses are brand new. What I'm trying to say is that these trees probably had other trees around them one year ago so there's really no way of knowing how they will respond to a massive wind gust.

I think I'll stay inside tonight.
    How did the yard look in the morning?

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex 11'
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Like I missed out on a good night of hammock glory i.e. Not a single trace of branches blown down.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    It's a good question. I've been out with a group where in the middle of the night you could hear the wind rolling in like a freight train and then my hammock would lift up and then I'd hear it rolling in again. This went on for what seemed like hours but was probably less. Ferret was in the group and once it lifted him so high his reaction was "GOOD LORD!" Makes for an interesting night. Years ago at the Linville Gorge hang the wind was blowing so hard I left my hammock and slept in the back of the truck which has a camper top. This was more to dull the noise it was so loud.

Once you are out in something like this during a backpacking trip, I don't know what you can do except ride it out unless you are near a shelter or other structure that might be safer. This is why I take an unusually long time setting up -- trying to find the safest set of trees.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 09-30-2014 at 10:22.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    After 3 strong pickled onions and a whole can of baked beans, wind can be very dangerous. You should avoid poorly ventilated tarps, and take particular care around campfires.
    Last edited by genixia; 09-30-2014 at 16:35.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Quilts and pads
    Images
    I have had a couple good nights with high winds and one with sideways rain. The worst part for sure is the noise. It isn't reassuring to hear all that racket and not know what on earth is going on outside.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    There certainly is a danger, but that hasn't stopped me from going out. I did get a bit of a surprise on one trip when a thunderstorm blew through with 60+ mph winds ("Storm" on Beaufort), on a night when I was camped out on a very exposed peninsula on a lake. In retrospect, it was nice being in a relatively open spot, because that meant fewer of the trees that were crashing down were close to me. My advice generally is you can stay cozy in your hammock until you hear those crashes, and as they're coming down it's smart to put on your raingear and stand nearish to one of the trees you were hanging from, facing upwind. Far enough away that lighting won't want to go through you, but close enough that it will help protect you from falling trees still, and facing upwind to see the falling ones coming so you can dodge if necessary.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    It depends on the conditions you're in. Some of the parks were closed around here after persistent rain and flooding because the ground was saturated, which greatly increases the chances of trees falling in high winds (> 50mph). If I were in winds in excess of 50mph, I don't think I'd camp near deciduous trees that have large limbs. That's not just because those trees present a much greater wind profile and, therefore, more torque. There's also a good chance a limb will break off.

Conifers are usually much more resistant to wind and aren't likely to blow over unless their root system is compromised like when there is highly saturated ground, stream undercutting, things like that.

There are many factors that can affect risk from high winds. If you're not sure, you might want to contact a park ranger and ask them about it. Most them have been around enough to see the outcome of high wind related injuries so they can give you a pretty good idea of what's risky and what's not.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Hennessy ExPed w/ 2QZQ Mod3
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    OneTigris 4 season
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Been caught in some serious storms before. I recall one significant storm, a nor'easter which caught me off guard, as in I didn't know it was coming. The winds switched in the middle of the night signalling the storm, so I battened down my tarp and listened to storm come up over the hill and blast me. The gusts would come at semi-regular intervals and it sounded like a freight train over the hill, and then in a few moments it would hit. This continued on for the entire night. At one point I heard a large tree come down in the direction of my buddy (who was in a tent). I listened carefully to see if i could hear him calling for help. I figured if he yelled for help, I would get out. If not, then either he was ok or dead. Apparently he had the same thoughts as me. The next morning we found the downed tree halfway between us.
    Yes, D'Tape, I remember that well. Not fondly, but well.

I figured if you would have made a noise you had at least a chance of being saved.

THAT was probably too much wind.

Ordin
    " They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst..."

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordin_Aryguy View Post
    Yes, D'Tape, I remember that well. Not fondly, but well.

I figured if you would have made a noise you had at least a chance of being saved.

THAT was probably too much wind.

Ordin
    That campsite is rarely used now that the lean-to has been built. Good evidence of how lean-tos actually help protect the more fragile areas right near the water by focusing the damage in the area immediately surrounding the lean-to.

Hope we can camp together soon buddy. Coming to Wakely this weekend?
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast