DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema

FL>ONF>Hidden Pond>September 2014>The Summer's last gasp Hang>Report

We arrived at juniper springs park Friday night 6:30. After using the last real restroom for the next couple days we hit the trail. North west we went in to the darkening sky as the clouds rolled over head. A half an hour passed and a light drizzle begins. Gina who was leading the way put her pack cover on before we left the trail head. Zachary stopped to break his out. I had put all my "need to stay dry" items in a garbage bag inside my pack before we left home. As the wind picked up and the skies darkened we hiked on. This was not the first time we have hiked at night in the rain. To hidden pond.

Off to have a good time with new and old friends is never hard work.
    Even if this is how hard we work, it's still worth it.

Rumors around the campfire of a new guy with his kids packed in just over 100lbs. I'm thinking "that's awesome that a dad would do all that, just to have a good time with his kids". The call of the Piney Woods is great for some of us.
    Hammocks in trees and people without hammocks as well. There is something great about getting back to nature. Even if it's just for a weekend.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema

The weather is rolling in again. The roar of thunder in the background as the clouds are flying by overhead. Everyone here is battening down the hatches getting ready for a typical Florida afternoon rainstorm.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    The only thing that cools off a florida afternoon.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema

Nice fire floridahanger

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Thank you, good Sir. LilRicky found a nice piece of fatwood and I put it to good use.

Will report back later.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Made it back home and both me and the dogs are pretty much done. Now that I've had time to get home, put the gear out to dry and take a nice long shower, I'm feeling content. I've never had a bad time hanging when you get the chance to hang with such great folks.

Our day started Friday Morning still at home, everything loaded in the Jeep with the dogs beside themselves with excitement. Their excitement faded a bit when we didn't leave as soon as the Jeep was loaded. The issue was that Timberrr had found some hiking shoes on Amazon for 76% off and scored some really nice boots for 38.00. However they had not arrived yet and we all waited anxiously for the mailman to make his mid-morning deliveries. Fortunately the boots fit perfectly and we were able to head out.

We were fortunate enough to hook up with Grinder on the trail in and were greeted by Roughneck 1, 2 and 3 when we arrived at hidden pond. Daemon, our husky was tasked with carrying the food for both himself and Chloe. He did well 3/4 of the trip but the last half mile, I relieved him of his pack out of fear that the humidity was too much for him.

Others trickled in all afternoon and into the evening. Being my first time backpacking since my Army days, I wasn't sure I would enjoy myself, but I had a blast. Good folks will do that.

We tried a lot of new things for us (I didn't bring the Dutch Oven). Packit Gourmet makes some great trail meals and I'm sure we will be ordering from them for future trips.

With the weather outlook pretty glum for tomorrow, we elected to hike out today (okay, I really wanted to watch the Saints play tonight). The last four out were Timberrr, LilRicky, FLhanger and me. We stopped in Eustis to have a bite and talk about plans for FHV.

I had a chocolate malt from the ice cream shop next to the restaurant we visited. So much for any weightloss I might have gotten by carrying that 29lb pack. Oh well.

Thanks everyone who attended for the insights and the fun. See ya'll next time!
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    I can't believe FLhanger was able to make that great a fire with wet wood. Great job!
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Made it home a-okay, with only two idiots honking in my blind spot (well, the second one wasn't technically his horn; he set off his car alarm for a second there) and only three thunderstorms ridden through. The wind was behind me most of the way, thankfully. Ate a four-egg omelette with just about everything that I could fit in it from the 'fridge. Then I ate everything that was RTE in the house. Seems like a grocery trip might be in order tomorrow, if I can get myself back up on the bike...

This weekend was a blast! It was great to see everyone out at Hidden Pond. This hang just keeps getting better every year, and I wouldn't miss it for a bet. Thank you to everyone who made it special: all of you are the best folks a man can know.

Got a concert to go to in a couple of minutes, so the full-up trip report will be tomorrow, most likely. 'Till then!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema

Thanks to hikingdad for putting together an easy DIY bridge hammock video. I was able to make this beauty last week. I was not able to get the big net done, but I braved the florida woods anyway. My tarp was just wide enough to clear the spreader bars during the good downpour of rain we had.

Saturday i was able to fashion a wood spoon by hand. A few found hobby of mine.
    #2 I have made so far. I kept it dry and got it home so I could oil it up.

The hike out was slow and steady. Amazing how the trail looks different during the day. Actually real beautiful out here.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Loved the pics and write-ups! Glad y'all had a good time! How could you not with all the great people that came! Never been to hidden pond but felt like I have when y'all always tell us about your venture.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast