Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    a stand on top of a carpet will offer the greatest sound reduction.( or more layers) nothing will eliminate it 100%!...unless if you add DISTANCE from the noise

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    a stand on top of a carpet will offer the greatest sound reduction.( or more layers) nothing will eliminate it 100%!...unless if you add DISTANCE from the noise
    Two small kiddie pools and a floating hammock stand

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Thank you everyone for your input!

Okay, Just to make things clear, I'm not moving. Ha ha! I Actually just moved here a couple months ago, but became vibrationally sensitive from my previous place, which is one of the reasons I started looking into hammocks in the first place (hammocks are way better than beds with a box spring in this situation, believe me). Besides my neighbours here aren't terrible people, they just don't understand that vibration doesn't always mean noise. I'm going to keep working on them, but would like to find a solution on my end too.

If you think the vibration can be dampened with a stand why not with the hooks? I can see a stand working with carpet and a whole bunch of felt, but I'd really prefer not to have a stand. I use my room for other things that need a lot of space, and taking it down is so much easier than having to move a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Two small kiddie pools and a floating hammock stand
    The crazy thing is, this might work, but I'm going to choose not to go this route. No offence.

EDIT: On second thought, it wouldn't work, The kiddie pools would only serve to amplify the sound. Ha ha!
    Last edited by Singingcrowsings; 09-28-2014 at 20:47.

Hammock
    BIAS WW micro 11'
    Tarp
    JRB hex 11'
    Insulation
    warm weather only
    Suspension
    DIY portable poles
    Try hanging a gallon of water close up to the suspensions from each end of your hammock to see if they will absorb some of the vibration in the lines. A shot in the dark, but cheap and easy to try.

Hammock
    Hummingbird
    Tarp
    MEC Scout tarp
    Insulation
    -7c MEC Mirage
    Suspension
    Tiedown Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar View Post
    try using your washer, subwoofer, air conditioner and so on when you know they are sleeping. perhaps the "do onto others" effect will take place and they will be more considerate to your situation.......
    I think that effect is called "Arms Race". Such "Escalation" may lead to "Detente", but also to "Mutually Assured Destruction"...

If you could just match the resonant frequency of the wall vibrations, using a wave generator of some sort, it might cancel out the offending waves.
    Such a wave generator could be made from a washer, subwoofer, air conditioner and so on...

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    What about putting a peice of rubber on the wall, and then screw your hammock mounting hardware into the wall. I know the screws will still be in the stud and will vibrate, but the peice of rubber in between may help to dampen it. If more is needed, then another peice of rubber around your hook. It's worth a try.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    What about putting a peice of rubber on the wall, and then screw your hammock mounting hardware into the wall. I know the screws will still be in the stud and will vibrate, but the peice of rubber in between may help to dampen it. If more is needed, then another peice of rubber around your hook. It's worth a try.
    This is what I was going to suggest. In split entry style homes where the garage is directly under the bedrooms, the garage door openers can wreak havoc on sleeping residents. To combat this, aside from going gear driven instead of chain driven, they put rubber dampener plates between the ceiling and the motor. What a HUGE difference! Saw it on This Old House on PBS...

Home Depot might have just what you're looking for. Otherwise, rubber floor mats from exercise equipment, cut to fit your mounting plates would also probably work.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    agree with others a stand and piece of carpet could do the trick ? if not a stand but make something like a sub woofer isolation setup but for your stand ? sadly would be kinda bulky but so is a stand ?
    some decent foam 2 inches thick and a sheet of plywood basically could do the trick and eliminate most anything coming up through the foor have to be large enough though to also not be spongy tippy ?
    but unless its your bed would be bulky and huge ?

if you have a stand throw down couch cushion on each corner first and try see if it stops it if the carpet does not ?

or get your neighbors to isolate there noisy appliances hahahahh

Hammock
    tablecloth
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Would using springs with hooks on either end going from your suspension to the wall help isolate your hammock from the vibration?

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    google up floating wall or floating floor for sound rooms try to replicate a small one ? you could build a small 2 foot wide ceiling to ceiling floating wall maybe and mount to that ? but not sure if you rent or own might be a own only project

in some ways the floating floor idea and a stand would be the least destructive

best of luck

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast