Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I do not know about z packs but if you are looking for warm i can confirm that Luke's ultralight gear one is cooking!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Insulation
    JRB MT Wash4 & ORM
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Fur hat, trappers style, tied under the chin on the reply cold nights keeps my bald head warm.

Otherwise I wear a fleece balaclava

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Zpacks down hood - feedback?

Down is the popular option it seems but I think your head hands and feet are far better served by synthetics. Your sweat and oil won't affect loft like with down and they stay warm when wet. Plus washing down is a PITA

MLD and enLIGHTend equipment make synthetic ones, oh and Astucas.

-Tim

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I own Zpacks's hood along with JRB's and really prefer Zpacks. with its grosgrain you can do much more than just secured it to your head while sleeping, you can attach it to a top quilt for a hooded sleeping bag type setup, or even attach it to a down coat or vest. Plus, it weighs slightly less than my JRB.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    This is not my thread, however, I have gained some valuable insight from it. I found some useful suggestions that I am going to follow up on.

I am sure if my brain is warm, the rest of me will be comfortable. I would like to achieve a warm head without having a birdsnest for hair in the morning. I really hate hats, I only wear them when it is too cold not to wear one. I know it is cold when my eyelashes freeze! Hopefully one of the recommended baclavas will solve the warm chromedome problem.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my warm head on my -40º trip last year. Fleece balaclava, two Black Rock Hats, fleece face mask then a down hood from an old parka. Head was happy....hoods are wonderful.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    With or without other hats and hoods, I always found this the most bomb-proof head/face protection of anything I tried in a hammock:

However, when I don't use a pod(like with my bridge hammocks for ex) the JRB hood does a mighty fine job also. Or even added to my pod if I want my head to be not so enclosed. I can't speak for the Zpacks sounds like they are pretty nice also.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Shame, I had to enlarge your image, several times to actually see the detail. Ha Ha.

I manage the awake cold temps okay, much of our winter in the FSJ area of B.C. is in the -40 to -45 C zone. Down here in Oregon specifically, I have a lot of trouble with getting cold, I am sure it is the humidity. Granted at home I do not Hang in the Winter, just not of any great interest in Hanging in a subarctic region in Winter. My house is very open, my hot tub is surrounded with windows, I can see the snow swirling and the stars, beautiful. I love being in the hot tub, warm and not swaddled. I love the snow, I love the country, even the weather, however, hanging in those conditions NOPE.

Here in the Northwest, I do go out and Hang, however the headwear gear, has been a challenge, probably partly because I hate having my head covered. However, it is necessary for survival and comfort. I am glad we live in a time when we get to choose how to stay warm and toasty instead of just trying to survive anyway we are able. I always think about that when I shop for new outdoors garments.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12