Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY/Vulcan/PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/spiders

Desert Dwellers

Greetings everyone,
    We are total noobs, a group of 3 older women and 2 rather large puppies…. so we are taking turns testing out a solo budget set up to figure out who likes what, and eventually get everyone their own hammock when our camping season starts next year. We also need to wait before investing in anything too costly until the puppies both get old enough to stop chewing on everything they can.

We aren't too worried about pack weight, as everyone has bad knees, so it's car camping for us.

I picked up an $15 Enjoydeal 108" gathered double hammock, since we are all vertically challenged, (5'1" to 5'3") with weights ranging from 115 to 200lbs - this seemed like the best size to start out with, and I'm a bit claustrophobic, and don't want to drowned in fabric

Suspension:
    90" fixed ridge line, with Whoopie slings & 6ft tree huggers.

I've removed the cheap rope and steel carabiners that came with the hammock, and since my Whoopie slings are too short to double back through the channel, I'm going to use Amsteel loops to a rap ring, and then attach the Whoopie slings to that, and then use a Climbing beaner going to the tree huggers.

Weatherizing:
    We live in Palm Springs, so aren't used to cold weather at all! Until we are ready to spend the dough on quilts, here's what I have on hand to play with:

- Army poncho liner
    - lots of Army CCF pads
    - lots of Walmart special Everest 5F mummy bags (In reality, I am only comfortable down to about 45F in them)
    - Microfiber Fleece mummy liner
    - Intrex Pool Wave mats (thin & flat)

One problem I have is that I can't do any testing here at home... no tress, nothing but rock filled loose sand. The rambunctious puppies remove any safe use of the Turtledog stands for now.

My question is.... any suggestions for the warmest way to test this system out in Idyllwild mid-Oct 40F weather?
    I'm wondering if I pick up another matching $15 hammock, I could try using it under the top hammock with the poncho sandwiched in between, and then use the CCF pad, with an extra sleeping bag on it, and laying on top of all of that in another sleeping bag. Am I thinking a little too far outside the box?
    Last edited by Mykeelk; 09-28-2014 at 18:36.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Welcome from far west Texas! You may want to check out the DYI section of the forum to get an idea of what you can do with equipment you have. I would bet that you can turn those sleeping bags into some under and top quilts pretty easy.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and above all, have fun! Welcome to the trees!
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    TB/Dutch Argon/HB SkyBed
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY/Vulcan/PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/spiders
    Oh, I've already spent weeks searching the forums I was raised by an obsessive family of engineer's, so I measure twice, cut once LOL! The problem is, I don't even know anyone who owns an iron, let alone a sewing machine, so I'm trying to figure a way to survive by my wits alone until I learn what I am going to want to stick with before I spend a lot of money…

That is why I am wondering about the doubled up hammocks, I haven't found anyone mention it before, and wondered if anyone thinks it could work.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Car camping opens up all options to you. And, a second $15 hammock is cheaper than buying the material and making one.

A CCF pad alone will be sufficient for a cool night; it's the limited width that must be dealt with by using two pads, cut & pasted together.

You could hang the two hammocks as one double layer hammock and stuff an old wool blanket between them.

The DIY sub-forum has many examples of converting cheap sleeping bags into underquilt that require very rudimentary sewing.

Enjoy your adventure!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    TB/Dutch Argon/HB SkyBed
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY/Vulcan/PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/spiders
    Thanks! Cutting and pasting I can usually manage, and I have a whole box of Army CCF pads to mod to my hearts content. Unfortunately, even rudimentary sewing I probably can't do (I had an nasty argument with a nail gun a few years ago, and I lost all the feeling & much of the use of my left hand)

I did discover when my stand came in last night that my youngest pup (10 months-just under 80lbs) REALLY likes the hammock, so having a makeshift double layer is probably wise for basic safety no matter what the temps since he's our main camping partner - He is just a little confused and thinks he's only 25lbs! On the up side, he's almost as big as I am so I don't have to worry about a top quilt

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies
    Welcome from OC. Lots of great spots up in that mountain beside you.
    Great car camping spots back on 4S01 Black Mountain Truck Trail just before Idyllwild; Yellow Post sites and Boulder Basin Campground.
    The road got washed out last winter so they regraded it and it was in excellent condition last time I was there in July. Beautiful back in there.

Hammock
    TB/Dutch Argon/HB SkyBed
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY/Vulcan/PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/spiders
    Thunder,we LOVE it up there!! After a few years of doing 2 hours drives to Big Bear and Palomar, we realized that in just over an hour, we can get all that and more up in Idyllwild (and Hwy 243 is WAY nicer to traverse than going up 74 or the 18!)

We do have a jeep, so aren't too worried about road conditions unless we have guests with us, and have to take the sedan. I'm familiar with Bolder Basin, do they allow hammocks?

I had no problem with gentle tree attachments at Stone Creek in July, and I see where someone posted that they have done a hang at Marion Mountain, so that is our trip this month. After that, it will be too cold for us dessert folks until spring.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Doggy school is cool. I have three dogs, currently only one is large 105 pounds. She loves camping, she has only recently decided sleeping under my hammock is good. All of our dogs have accompanied us to Puppy School and sometimes further training.

I have set up a hammock under mine, it is only a couple of inches off the ground when the dog is in it.

I am in the same height range as you, I am in the process of switching my gear over to items that fit me. I am really tired of everything being too long. Plus the shorter Bridge hammock should fit between the trees easier. For some reason I am finding it is becoming difficult to find two trees with sufficient distance between them without some bush or pointy rocks or other obstacles that will injure me if I have a oops.

Your plan sounds manageable, to me, however I am not an expert by any means. I keep experimenting. Several years of experimenting now, I guess that is what keeps me interested.

• + New Posts