WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Question Tree strap extender length? Save the trees!

I have tree straps that are too short for many of these big ol' West Coast trees, and I'm very excited about my newly learned ability to splice line. So I picked up a hank of Amsteel to make some extenders. My question now is: How long can I make them without hurting the trees?

My tree straps are currently 6 ft. long. What's the longest I can make my extenders while still making sure that the tree straps are still supporting the weight? I'd like to be able to maximize the length of my straps without harming trees by having the Amsteel cutting into the them. Thoughts? Maths? Other ideas for how to accomplish the same goals?

I'll be camping out after a wedding this weekend, so I'd like to get a workable setup together soon without having to order any other materials or supplies. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ampersand View Post
    I have tree straps that are too short for many of these big ol' West Coast trees, and I'm very excited about my newly learned ability to splice line. So I picked up a hank of Amsteel to make some extenders. My question now is: How long can I make them without hurting the trees?

My tree straps are currently 6 ft. long. What's the longest I can make my extenders while still making sure that the tree straps are still supporting the weight? I'd like to be able to maximize the length of my straps without harming trees by having the Amsteel cutting into the them. Thoughts? Maths? Other ideas for how to accomplish the same goals?

I'll be camping out after a wedding this weekend, so I'd like to get a workable setup together soon without having to order any other materials or supplies. Thanks!
    I'd say your tree straps are too short for your location. Get longer tree straps.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    My Wife's Tablecloth
    While visiting Big Basin SP with my scout Venturing Crew. I had to extend my straps to go around one of the huge Redwoods. I alway have a piece of extra webbing along for this purpose. You can tie a water knot to your tree straps and extend how ever long you need them.

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I use 14 foot Straps. My whoopies are 7 footers for each side. Our tree's out west are tad on the big side. the Extra just let them hang loose.

Soon, I shall have Dutch jewels to add to my straps & whoopies.
    " Taking the gun off safety increases the velocity by 100% "

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'd say your tree straps are too short for your location. Get longer tree straps.
    This is true. In the meantime, I'm making some extenders in order to increase the proportion of trees out there that I can work with.

Quote Originally Posted by smacedo View Post
    While visiting Big Basin SP with my scout Venturing Crew. I had to extend my straps to go around one of the huge Redwoods. I alway have a piece of extra webbing along for this purpose. You can tie a water knot to your tree straps and extend how ever long you need them.
    Thanks, but unfortunately I've only got Amsteel at the moment. I'll be getting longer tree straps when I've got the funds (I know that sounds silly, but I just spent way too much on a new setup). For now, though, I'm looking to make some dogbone extenders out of Amsteel, because that's what I picked up in my initial order.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug View Post
    I use 14 foot Straps. My whoopies are 7 footers for each side. Our tree's out west are tad on the big side. the Extra just let them hang loose.

Soon, I shall have Dutch jewels to add to my straps & whoopies.
    Are you using whoopies as extenders, or are those the whoopies for your suspension? If you're using 'em as extenders, do you find they're short enough that the straps — not the slings — are what's pressed against the tree?

I've been hanging recreationally in the PNW and California for several years using these 6' straps. Sometimes I can't find workable trees near my campsite, in which case the hammock just stays in my pack. But often, with a little work, it turns out fine. I figure I can make some extenders to practice my splicing, and they'll help out with those trees where an extra few feet would make a the difference.

I'll take a look at Dutch jewels, too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    My whoopies are attached to the Hammock. Then Use the 14 foot Straps for the tree's. and Using a Biner for hooking on to the strap, Then Hook in one end of the whoopie. With that set up, I can extend pretty far. Depends on the tree's.
    " Taking the gun off safety increases the velocity by 100% "

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug View Post
    My whoopies are attached to the Hammock. Then Use the 14 foot Straps for the tree's. and Using a Biner for hooking on to the strap, Then Hook in one end of the whoopie. With that set up, I can extend pretty far. Depends on the tree's.
    Ah, gotcha. I'm a big fan of that setup, actually. It's what I've been using on my lounging hammock for a while, and I'm planning to use essentially the same thing on my camping hammock.

The problem I sometimes run into is not having enough tree strap to get around larger trees. So — in addition to the whoopie slings and tree straps — I was wanting to turn some spare Amsteel into extenders that will allow my existing tree straps to get around larger trees. Tonight I made some dogbones (fixed loop / locked brummel on either side). I went with 5', which I figure might be oddly large for my 6' tree straps, but I can always double them over and they'll be 2.5'.

Problem solved. SilvrSurfr is right, of course, that I should just get longer tree straps. I'm guessing he just read over my last paragraph about needing this fixed by the weekend and not wanting to (or being able to) buy more stuff in the meantime. Plus, now I've got dogbones for other uses — it seems there are many.

Hammock
    HENNY HYPER/EXP
    Tarp
    CAMO VERTEX
    Insulation
    BBJB
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    redwoods... hammocks... i envy you for now!
    "You are now Stuckinthetrees..."

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    I'm sure glad I had my 3' dynaglide dogbones to augment my 6' tree straps on my recent hikes in the Desolation Wilderness and Yosemite. Wouldn't go on a western hike without 'em, and SO FAR I haven't found a reason to carry more than the 6' straps and 3' extenders.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast