Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling

Clark Z-Liner 250 vs HG Incubator 20

So first of all I am new to the forum and I would like to say hello. I have been hammock camping for about 5 years and exclusively for about 3 years. I have always gotten by on simply using a standard backpacking sleeping pad or a wool blanket. I decided it was time to invest in a proper underquilt so my research led me to the HG Incubator series. I have several friends with them and they love them, additionally HG's reputation is top notch. Clark also makes their Z-liner series which is nice because it attaches directly to the hammock without any additional suspension. I understand it isn't a direct apples to apples comparison because of several factors, one being that the Clark is synthetic. So I am looking for those with a Clark NX 250 and what have they chosen. I was initially concerned with the spreader hoops at the ends of the Clark would interfere with the HG, but a quick email to HG and I was told they should not have an issue. So please let me know which UQ you chose and why. According to the specs they seem pretty similar in size and weight. Claimed warmth is the same and both are reputable.

Thanks!
    ~ HEH

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hang em' high View Post
    So first of all I am new to the forum and I would like to say hello. I have been hammock camping for about 5 years and exclusively for about 3 years. I have always gotten by on simply using a standard backpacking sleeping pad or a wool blanket. I decided it was time to invest in a proper underquilt so my research led me to the HG Incubator series. I have several friends with them and they love them, additionally HG's reputation is top notch. Clark also makes their Z-liner series which is nice because it attaches directly to the hammock without any additional suspension. I understand it isn't a direct apples to apples comparison because of several factors, one being that the Clark is synthetic. So I am looking for those with a Clark NX 250 and what have they chosen. I was initially concerned with the spreader hoops at the ends of the Clark would interfere with the HG, but a quick email to HG and I was told they should not have an issue. So please let me know which UQ you chose and why. According to the specs they seem pretty similar in size and weight. Claimed warmth is the same and both are reputable.

Thanks!
    ~ HEH
    Here is my buddy Hickery's Clark with an HG Incubator on it. He sleeps warm and well. Packs down small unlike synthetic.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling
    Well I decided to go with the HG. There is really no reason not to and the ability to use on different hammocks (cause who owns just 1?) is a big factor. So I ordered a couple Incubators (one for me, one for the gf) and in a couple weeks I will be able to leave the sleeping pad at home! Thanks for the advice Shug

~HEH

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Well, I am a little late to the party but I think you chose well.
    At this point in my journey I have decided that I want synthetic materials on the outside, down on the inside. But, after some experience with down I may re-visit that.
    When I had a Clark and the Clark full length UQ I was not entirely satisfied with the warmth it gave. It seemed that it fit a little loosely making for a lot of air space that needed warmed up by body heat. And, once in place, there was no further adjustment. The incubator can be adjusted as needed to fit. At 44" wide I don't think the hoops will interfere with the fit of the quilt - the Clark is pretty deep so I think the width of the material between the hoops is enough to allow a good fit.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I used the Z-liner on a hunt for a week.

It snowed all day, every day with temps in the high teens and strong wind chill.

I wasn't cold but I could have been warmer...I slept okay. But I had a serious synthetic UQ/woobie hybrid built for me afterward. I wanted insulation that worked even when wet.

I would say the Z-liner is okay to 30 degrees, no lower.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling
    The HG shows up today. We head out friday for the weekend. Weather here in VA should be nice and only in mid 30s at night. Couple of things, since it is my thread i can hijack it! Did you replace your Clark fiberglass poles? yours look orange. The ones I have have splintered in a couple places and should probably be replaced. Second. Is that a Kifaru Woobie?

Quote Originally Posted by BC9696 View Post
    I used the Z-liner on a hunt for a week.

It snowed all day, every day with temps in the high teens and strong wind chill.

I wasn't cold but I could have been warmer...I slept okay. But I had a serious synthetic UQ/woobie hybrid built for me afterward. I wanted insulation that worked even when wet.

I would say the Z-liner is okay to 30 degrees, no lower.

• + New Posts