Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x12
    Insulation
    Browning 0deg bag
    Suspension
    Rope

Single Loop Suspension?

Single Loop Suspension.jpg

I had this idea for a suspension system the other day. It's just a 120' adjustable continuous loop of 7/64 or 1/8 amsteel blue. Maybe someone else has already done it?

Here's the two bits I haven't quite figured out yet:

First, how prone do people think this will be to sliding down to the lower attachment point during the night? Can anyone think of any methods besides hitching one end, that could keep the hammock centered?

Second, in order to do a 60' hang, I need to be able to pre-tension to at least 100 lb, unless I have some way to attach tree-straps above 8 feet; 100 lbs is simple with a trucker's hitch, but very difficult if you just have a pull-through amsteel splice. I'm considering having the loop be adjustable, and then have a tensioning set-up on one of the tree-straps.

I have never used amsteel, and I have not tested this method, but this is what I'm considering buying it for.

Also, has anyone ever used a body-weight tension system? Essentially, it's an ascender attached to the tree, and you feed the end of the hammock line through it, and then stand in that loop.

In general, it is not a new idea. There is a thread or two around here that discuss the concept and feasibility.

The part that gets me is the 120' loop, 60' hang, pre-tensioning, etc...if I were forced to deal with those distances regularly, I would just invest in a handy hammock stand.

A prussik should suffice to keep the loop suspension from "rotating," although that should not be a significant problem once you are set-up and adjusted.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by rgambord View Post
    Single Loop Suspension.jpg...Second, in order to do a 60' hang, I need to be able to pre-tension to at least 100 lb, unless I have some way to attach tree-straps above 8 feet;...
    Better get out your math book and calculator to determine the forces on the tree straps, suspension components and trees. They will be much higher than your are thinking.

With 60' between the trees and lower than 8' attachment points, you have a very low hang angle that dramatically increases the forces to many times your weight. Let's take a wild guess and say that each end of the suspension will see 1000 lbs of force. I also think the continuous loop design will double that force once again providing ~2000 lbs of force on each tree strap and tree.

Basil Anchor Forces.jpg
    Last edited by gmcttr; 09-30-2014 at 10:31.

Hammock
    Byers Easy Traveller
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x12
    Insulation
    Browning 0deg bag
    Suspension
    Rope
    I'm working on the force calculations still. Statics isn't super intuitive so I gotta break out the book. I think it's considerably less than what you think, though. Let me do the math, and then we can be sure.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A 60 foot hang? Why? Amsteel is low-stretch, not no-stretch. And as the manufacturer, Samson Rope, says, it's not good for knots (derates up to 50%), which is why they recommend splicing.

Keep in mind, you're not dealing with just static forces but also dynamic forces.

Play with the hammock hang calculator a bit to get an idea of the forces at work.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would consider using a 1" Slack Line. They are made for that distance and weight. Has ratchets to get it tight. Wrap some carpet scraps around the tree for protection. Lots of choices on Amazon.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Just curious, what's the practical use of this? Are you spanning a canyon?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philsummers View Post
    I would consider using a 1" Slack Line. They are made for that distance and weight. Has ratchets to get it tight. Wrap some carpet scraps around the tree for protection. Lots of choices on Amazon.
    Slackline is nylon, correct? Seems it would have to be stretchy, which is not what you want in a hammock suspension.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    What is the purpose of having the free-floating tarp? When I'm in my hammock, no problem. The thing is, I'm not always in the hammock when under the tarp.

Having a tarp flopping on top of me would put a serious damper on why I'm in the woods to begin with. Then I would have to invent something to keep the tarp off of me......I know.....some kind or cordage to hold it up..........I'll call it a tarp Ridgeline and attach it to the trees separate from my hammock so it doesn't flop down on me. Just keeping it lighthearted.

The HH have a tarp/hammock combo that is almost clausterphobic so the two were separated to allow the tarp to adjust higher or lower depending on what you wanted at any given time.

Seems to me the continuous line would lock them in again. Keep on working on it until you get your desired results. There are many ways to hang and you may just find another.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by rgambord View Post
    I'm working on the force calculations still. Statics isn't super intuitive so I gotta break out the book. I think it's considerably less than what you think, though. Let me do the math, and then we can be sure.
    You're right. It's only about half what I guessed for static loads (unless I'm not understanding these calculators correctly). Dynamic loads will increase the forces of course.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html

http://tagsafety.com/library6.aspx

Given a 200 lb load, an 8' strap height on the tree, an 18" sit height on the hammock and 30' from the tree to the center of the hammock, the load on each end of the hammock suspension will be approximately 480 lbs. Double that for the effect of using the loop instead of tying off to the straps and you have 960 pounds of static force on each strap and tree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast