Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images

blackbird, right side vs left side sleeping

I finally got to a connection where I can watch the videos, yeah! I managed to set up my blackbird and superfly pretty much correctly the first time (I've got plenty of experience with my eno and swt btw) but I've noticed that the bb is more suited to sleeping on your left side rather than what I prefer which is my right side. On the right side I'd be stretched out on the wrong diagonal and my feet are not going into the footbox but into the other side.

With my eno and gardian bug net, while I do have a "head end", so I'm not sleeping my my face where my feet might have been, I can set up the eno head end to the tree that gives the best view. With the gardian bug net I can have the entry zipper to either side so I can have the best way of getting in and out of my eno hammock. With the bb I can already see that I"m a bit restricted to my setup options.

what are you right side sleepers doing about this?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Dedicated side sleeper here. I've only slept in my Blackbird once, but it worked out well. I tried to sleep "Shug Style" with my feet on the opposite side of the footbox, but would up going to the footbox as it's intended. Regardless fo what side I slept on, I was comfy laying on the asym with my Feet to the right and head/shoulders to the left. Best thing to do, IMO, is just set your hammock up on a day when you need a good nap, lay down and find your sweet spot. It may or may not be the same as others, but it'll work for you and that's what matters, right?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    I finally got to a connection where I can watch the videos, yeah! I managed to set up my blackbird and superfly pretty much correctly the first time (I've got plenty of experience with my eno and swt btw) but I've noticed that the bb is more suited to sleeping on your left side rather than what I prefer which is my right side. On the right side I'd be stretched out on the wrong diagonal and my feet are not going into the footbox but into the other side.

With my eno and gardian bug net, while I do have a "head end", so I'm not sleeping my my face where my feet might have been, I can set up the eno head end to the tree that gives the best view. With the gardian bug net I can have the entry zipper to either side so I can have the best way of getting in and out of my eno hammock. With the bb I can already see that I"m a bit restricted to my setup options.

what are you right side sleepers doing about this?
    Did you think about getting a footbox on the left instead of the right?

Images
    you can still lay on you other side on the same diagonal with your feet in the footbox, but you just won't be faceing the netting. if you're dedicated to sleeping on one side or diagonal, you can get a lefty if you want everything opposite. also it sometimes just takes some nights to get used to sleeping on the opposite diagonal if you're used to the the other one, but should feel normal after a little while. this is something newbies don't have to worry about as much because they can get used to either diagonal pretty quick, but if you're already accustomed to the other one it can feel strange at first, hence the "lefty" version for those folks.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    I've noticed that the bb is more suited to sleeping on your left side
    I notice it too. I relax and rest on my left side, then just before going to sleep flip to my right side. It will just take some time to get used to. The good news is I can sleep on my back without snoring so loud it rattles the trees while in the hammock.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    Maybe we need one with a foot box on both sides!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I sleep on either side in my bb! Usually start out on my left so I can watch the world through the front, then turn my back to whatever is going on and go to sleep. I can move back and forth at will.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am a head to right-foot to left back sleeper normally but just got accustomed to head to left-foot to right in my BlackBird. Really just a minor change of attitude thing after a couple of nights in it. That is my tale.
    Maybe all will just kinda fall in place for you spidennis......
    By the way, I will be in South Padre performing for the "Snowbird Extravaganza" in Late Feb. or early March of 2010.
    Maybe we can meet and to some hammock speak.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    I wasn't aware of the "lefty version" but wouldn't have taken notice of it much as I'm a right handed, right footed, sleep on my right guy ...... but it sounds like the "lefty" version would fit me better. I was wondering if this was possible or not last night as I went to sleep in my bb. I flipped and flopped around a bunch last night but ended up with my feet in the foot box as the air was getting a bit stuffy and I unzipped the bugnet a bit for some fresh air. It finally warmed up here a bit in "the dacks", yeah! I used a foam pad in the pad slot and that kept my the bottom of me warm enough, and I used my summer weight bag as a top quilt. I found that trying to get my face under the "shelf" was a bit tough and it would roll me back onto my left. With my feet in the footbox position it was very comfortable and could lay very flat, more so than my eno could and the eno was/is very comfortable. it seems my eno will end up being my lounger and my indoor camper during the summer while up at the lake house. the rest of the house is full so I camp down in the first level which is the big toy box / storage room that I converted a part of into my vacation office/shop. I hang the eno from the beams. the bb will now be my camping hammock, so just like the eno when i first got it, I'll be setting up the bb just about everywhere I can so I can get used to it and work out any setup details till it's smooth. I do need to come up with some lines for the superfly and I'll rob (for now) the msr groundhog stakes that I used with my swt. does the bb come with a set of carabiners? I had to rob a set off my eno setup.

shug, sure, let me know when you get into town and well hang out some!
    what is it that you'll be doing on spi?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I guess I have to be different. I've slept on my right side with feet in the footbox. It puts my face far enough from the "shelf wall" and seems to work fine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast